BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HELP with motor

+2
69F100
shaggy
6 posters

Go down

HELP with motor Empty HELP with motor

Post  shaggy August 1st 2011, 7:44 pm

I have a 429 bored and stroked and it has been in a mud truck sittin outside covered.for some reason it has a popping noise coming out the left side headers only it didnt do this before but now its doing it and im havin a problem with power too.i checked the gas but i dont think its bad gas.could it b electric problems with the msd or with the distributor or possibly a fouled plug.i would ask help to find out wat it is and how to fix it.all replys r appreciated.
shaggy
shaggy

Back to top Go down

HELP with motor Empty Re: HELP with motor

Post  69F100 August 1st 2011, 7:55 pm

Couple things to check plug wires make sure some little critter hasn't chewed in to the wires,pull the plugs and check for wetness on any replace,if all that checks out good pull the valve cover and make sure you don't have a stuck valve or pull a compression check.if it one of them chime back in some of us will explain how to fix it
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  shaggy August 1st 2011, 8:35 pm

it only does it like every couple seconds.it isnt doing it every time the piston is on its stroke.
shaggy
shaggy

Back to top Go down

Post  f250mike August 1st 2011, 10:04 pm

Make sure you don't have a valve sticking!!
We destroyed a mud truck engine thinking it was ignition problems. It ended up being a valve sticking.
Hope you get it tracked down.
mike
f250mike
f250mike

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 August 1st 2011, 10:13 pm

do a compression test
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon August 1st 2011, 11:42 pm

Mike, I would say that you hit the nail on the head. if its been sitting outside,chances are you have some rusty valve seats,or some carbon holding some valves from seating.

Another thing,if the headers have rust inside them,they have been known to suck that rust back into the engine and cause lots of problems.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 August 2nd 2011, 7:25 am

I have seen where rats will built a nest in the exhaust system to where one set to
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

HELP with motor Empty help with motor

Post  shaggy August 2nd 2011, 10:55 am

the engine is 429 cj with aluminum scj heads less than 20 hours on it, never run over 5000 rpm,hasn't been horsed, will it be visable to see if i take valve cover off to check if valve is sticking? hope luck is on my side!!!
shaggy
shaggy

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 August 2nd 2011, 11:51 am

Yes you can see with the valve cover off pull coil wire so it want start get somebody to turn the engine over and watch the rocker arm .Check and make sure one hasn't tighten down and keeping a valve from closing.If you have a compression checker check the compression it will let you know if one is staying open and not closing the compression should be real low.As has been said a peace of carbon could have broke loose or some rust from the headers may be keeping a valve open and not closing all the way.Look at your springs and make sure you have not broke a valve spring.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  shaggy August 2nd 2011, 7:45 pm

I really appreciate the advice and I went ahead and took out plugs,cleaned them and put them back, it did fix the popping noise. but its still breaking up under a load, i have a 1000 cfm holley vaccum secondary and can't get it to run right, I don't know how to adjust the mixture. This is my first project , lots of fun and learning as I go. Love my Cobra BBF Shaggy
shaggy
shaggy

Back to top Go down

Post  freddy21 August 3rd 2011, 10:43 am

Shaggy, put new plugs in and check the timing. If need a light come by the shop and get one. Check the cap for condensation It has been raining alot. set timing at 30-32 total 3000 rpm.

freddy21

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon August 3rd 2011, 11:03 pm

shaggy wrote:I really appreciate the advice and I went ahead and took out plugs,cleaned them and put them back, it did fix the popping noise. but its still breaking up under a load, i have a 1000 cfm holley vaccum secondary and can't get it to run right, I don't know how to adjust the mixture. This is my first project , lots of fun and learning as I go. Love my Cobra BBF Shaggy

Might be very lean also.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  shaggy August 4th 2011, 3:29 pm

I believe so too,checked plugs too, very dry and porcelain was brown.

Freddy 21: I think its the carb again
shaggy
shaggy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down