BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

smog pump for a vacum pump

+5
whatbumper
richter69
BigDave65
dfree383
johndickjr
9 posters

Go down

smog pump for a vacum pump Empty smog pump for a vacum pump

Post  johndickjr August 5th 2011, 9:31 am

anyone ever use a smog pump as a vacuum pump? is there any advantages on using a vacuum pump on a factory spec 429 short block

johndickjr

Back to top Go down

smog pump for a vacum pump Empty Re: smog pump for a vacum pump

Post  dfree383 August 5th 2011, 9:32 am

IMO probably not worth the agrivation on a build like yours.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  johndickjr August 5th 2011, 9:38 am

dfree383 wrote:IMO probably not worth the agrivation on a build like yours.
that's what i was looking for...would it be worth anything to hook up a header vac system and just use the vacm off the headers..they kit is around 50.00

johndickjr

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 August 5th 2011, 9:43 am

The header Vac stuff is decent IMO.

Make sure the breathersare in the front of the valve covers and watch what valva covers your use. depending on what hood and how you have the motor mounted you may have clearance issues
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  johndickjr August 5th 2011, 9:49 am

dfree383 wrote:The header Vac stuff is decent IMO.

Make sure the breathersare in the front of the valve covers and watch what valve covers your use. depending on what hood and how you have the motor mounted you may have clearance issues
valve cover i got form a member here.ford racing motorsport alum ...they had either a header vac system or a pump on them, they already have holes for breather drilled into the front of each one

johndickjr

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 August 5th 2011, 10:12 am

watch the hood clearance.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDave65 August 5th 2011, 2:17 pm

Make sure the breathersare in the front of the valve covers and watch what valva covers your use. depending on what hood and how you have the motor mounted you may have clearance issues

Does it really matter if they are in the front or not? Never heard that before. I don't think I could put mine in the front anyway, they barely clear with both to the back.
BigDave65
BigDave65

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 August 5th 2011, 2:38 pm

honestly the header evac deals can be more trouble than they are worth, even when set up with the good valves and stuff we never saw more than 1"-2"'s, and if a valve sticks shut or both now you wave pressure blowing all the oil past the seals, or worse case you get one stuck open and possible blow the covers off of it lol.

The factory smog pumps can and do work, but for the effort and no longer than they live its also not worth it IMO.

If a guy needs an evac for ring seal a race pump is the way to go, if to remove moisture with alky etc then the electric deals work good.

If you just need a vent a good baffled breather on each cover or better yet a large hose connecting each one to a puke tank with a filter is best.

This is based on my experiences with them in the past.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper August 5th 2011, 2:42 pm

richter69 wrote:honestly the header evac deals can be more trouble than they are worth, even when set up with the good valves and stuff we never saw more than 1"-2"'s, and if a valve sticks shut or both now you wave pressure blowing all the oil past the seals, or worse case you get one stuck open and possible blow the covers off of it lol.

The factory smog pumps can and do work, but for the effort and no longer than they live its also not worth it IMO.

If a guy needs an evac for ring seal a race pump is the way to go, if to remove moisture with alky etc then the electric deals work good.

If you just need a vent a good baffled breather on each cover or better yet a large hose connecting each one to a puke tank with a filter is best.

This is based on my experiences with them in the past.

I agree

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 August 5th 2011, 3:42 pm

BigDave65 wrote:

Does it really matter if they are in the front or not? Never heard that before. I don't think I could put mine in the front anyway, they barely clear with both to the back.

Yes it matters, iif you put them in the back they will pick-up oil on hard acceleration.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDave65 August 5th 2011, 4:19 pm

OK, that makes sense, never thought about that. I do get a little oil from around the breathers, but I don't have room to put them in the front.

Around here we used to do what we called "a Rutherford County thing", one of the early drag racing hero's around here used to take a tube sock and cut the toe out of it, roll it up and place it around the breather to keep oil from leaking past (BBC). Seemed we only saw that on our local cars. Rolling Eyes
BigDave65
BigDave65

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug August 5th 2011, 4:28 pm

dfree383 wrote:
BigDave65 wrote:

Yes it matters, iif you put them in the back they will pick-up oil on hard acceleration.

If you have that much oil under accelleration you have way more problems than that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  johndickjr August 5th 2011, 5:21 pm

dont really need it, valve covers i got hav the holes cut in the on the front on the ends where they had a pump plumed in,,..guess i will just plug it or put breather there..

johndickjr

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy August 7th 2011, 7:37 pm

Pro Stockers and all other MAJOR class type drag race cars who could use a crank-case vacuum pump in the beginning of drag race vacuum pumps, began using a belt driven FORD truck, 3 vane, 23 cubic inch SMOG PUMP.

I have personally supercharged a Chevette with a 1600 cc, 4 cylinder engine using two automotive 21 cubic inch, 2 vane smog pumps.

The carbon vanes have their RPM limitations so, the drive ratio must be controlled but, it is NOT a waste.

Last edited by rmcomprandy on August 8th 2011, 10:04 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : I got the engine cc's wrong the first time)

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 August 7th 2011, 8:39 pm

I run a electric smog pump off a 99 comaro after running on alky I can leave it running after I shut the engine down to help pull some of the moister build up out.It also works better on mine than just the header evac system my max rpm is set at 6500.Just my 2 cents
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 August 7th 2011, 9:19 pm

the electric pumps work "ok"if your engine is sealed up good and are nice for the moisture with alky like ^^he said.dont try it for a street car or long run time,they'll burn up fast.the one i used came off a 02 firebird and they are not realy a smog pump,they pump fresh air into the ex @ start up then cut off.a vac pump has it's place but most dont need one,JMO.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy August 9th 2011, 6:58 pm

cool40 wrote:the electric pumps work "ok"if your engine is sealed up good and are nice for the moisture with alky like ^^he said.dont try it for a street car or long run time,they'll burn up fast.the one i used came off a 02 firebird and they are not realy a smog pump,they pump fresh air into the ex @ start up then cut off.a vac pump has it's place but most dont need one,JMO.

Let's not lump ALL the electric pumps together.

The SPECIFIC drag race electric air pumps will evacuate a 500 inch engine at 10,000 RPM to more than 15 inches of crankcase vacuum. They cost just under $2,000.00 though.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 August 9th 2011, 10:57 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
cool40 wrote:the electric pumps work "ok"if your engine is sealed up good and are nice for the moisture with alky like ^^he said.dont try it for a street car or long run time,they'll burn up fast.the one i used came off a 02 firebird and they are not realy a smog pump,they pump fresh air into the ex @ start up then cut off.a vac pump has it's place but most dont need one,JMO.

Let's not lump ALL the electric pumps together.

The SPECIFIC drag race electric air pumps will evacuate a 500 inch engine at 10,000 RPM to more than 15 inches of crankcase vacuum. They cost just under $2,000.00 though.
for some reason i dont see him wanting one. Razz
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  johndickjr August 18th 2011, 6:35 pm

how about those electric brake booster motors , the one used for power brakes and big cams..they are about 280.00 and pull 20 inch of vac...not going to use one just thinking out loud

johndickjr

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 August 18th 2011, 6:50 pm

depends on the volume they pull.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  johndickjr August 18th 2011, 7:29 pm

richter69 wrote:depends on the volume they pull.
the volume or the amount of vacuum? says 20 inches

johndickjr

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 August 18th 2011, 7:31 pm

volume, if it cant move enough it'll never pull down that far, the crankcase is always gonna have some amount of blowby refilling it.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  johndickjr August 18th 2011, 7:40 pm

richter69 wrote:volume, if it cant move enough it'll never pull down that far, the crankcase is always gonna have some amount of blowby refilling it.
ok..i see..i dont know the how much volume

johndickjr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum