BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to remove crinkle finish from Holley valve covers?

+8
Bigshank
whitefield
XEngr
bb429power
342g
69F100
BigDave65
Lee in Texas
12 posters

Go down

How to remove crinkle finish from Holley valve covers? Empty How to remove crinkle finish from Holley valve covers?

Post  Lee in Texas September 6th 2011, 12:44 am

I'm getting a pair of the cast aluminum black crinkle finish valve covers along with my 460. They're showing their age. I'd like to strip that and polish them up. Can I use a chemical paint stripper or should I take them to a sand blaster (or some other blasting media)?

Thank you.

Lee in Texas

Back to top Go down

How to remove crinkle finish from Holley valve covers? Empty Re: How to remove crinkle finish from Holley valve covers?

Post  BigDave65 September 6th 2011, 5:37 am

Brake fluid may strip it off there. At least it would if you didn't want to strip them! Laughing
BigDave65
BigDave65

Back to top Go down

How to remove crinkle finish from Holley valve covers? Empty Re: How to remove crinkle finish from Holley valve covers?

Post  69F100 September 6th 2011, 6:23 am

Paint remover brush it on let it work take a water hose and hose it off you can get it at walmart in the paint dept.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  342g September 6th 2011, 10:08 am

Don't think I would sand blast them, might warp.
342g
342g
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power September 6th 2011, 12:46 pm

Heck, get some of that aircraft paint remover. My friend wanted the paint off his bumpers and grill so we used that stuff and it all looks like brand new chrome and aluminum. Worked great.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

How to remove crinkle finish from Holley valve covers? Empty Aircraft paint stripper....

Post  XEngr September 6th 2011, 1:20 pm

is good, but don't green out and use the new "safe" paint stripper unless you have months of time.

If you live near a automotive machine shop with a hot powerwash machine, these can give you a big head start on taking off paint. The heat and water based alkaline chemicals will loose the paint.

I just stripped a pair of Cleveland valve covers with krinkle paint, it was very difficult, baked on like powercoating.

XEngr

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield September 6th 2011, 1:57 pm

Bead blast them !
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigshank September 6th 2011, 8:51 pm

soda blast wont damage the metal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodablasting
Bigshank
Bigshank

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon September 6th 2011, 10:21 pm

Send them to NitroPlate and have them ceramic coated. They do the stripping and they will look like chrome and will never be needed polished again.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  138 September 6th 2011, 10:24 pm

permatex gasket remover...coat them real good and let it sit for a few first.
How to remove crinkle finish from Holley valve covers? Gasket%20remover

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave September 9th 2011, 10:19 pm

Hell, it's just paint! Blast it off or use a paint remover. I prefer blasting, then clean throughly with a cleaner, apply a bit of heat to the valve covers (oven, sunlight or heat lamp) then apply a new coat of wrinkle paint or what ever type of paint you want. A light coat at a time, then heavy with the last coat. I did a pair years ago and the owner accused me of buying him a new pair! If a Livermoron like myself can do it, why can't you?

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  f250mike September 9th 2011, 11:29 pm

I think all of the above should work.
I'm a fan of the aircraft paint stripper or bead blasting.
f250mike
f250mike

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee in Texas September 11th 2011, 3:37 am

When I posted the question, they were still still in the seller's garage. I've got them now, and it's obviously just paint. I had thought it was powder coat or some other process that would bond it to the metal until the end of time. It's actually flaking off. Laughing

Lee in Texas

Back to top Go down

Post  138 September 11th 2011, 9:28 pm

I'm telling ya that gasket remover is no joke...take if for what its worth.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down