BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Protection from exploding flywheels and flexplates

+2
lghting94
OldRedFord
6 posters

Go down

Protection from exploding flywheels and flexplates Empty Protection from exploding flywheels and flexplates

Post  OldRedFord September 14th 2009, 12:41 pm

Thinking about running either
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HUP-HP9425/
or
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CSI-839/

Transmission is a C6, I am not making loads of torque or plan on spinning the engine to high rpms.
But after the recent thread about the flywheel explosion, I got to thinking about this. Also my dad knows little about cars but he came out and asked me if I was going to use a shield on the transmission.

So I am thinking about running both, or just the first shield. Beyond that maybe get some 1/4 plate and line the mouth of the transmission tunnel too?

The truck will see more street then track time, but I want to be safe.
OldRedFord
OldRedFord

Back to top Go down

Protection from exploding flywheels and flexplates Empty Re: Protection from exploding flywheels and flexplates

Post  lghting94 September 14th 2009, 12:49 pm

I run the sfi aluminum drum shield(center secton of tranny) in my mud truck for my own piece of mind and have the flywheel/flexplate shield but it wouldnt clear the firewall when i went to install it so i dont have it in yet as cutting the firewall was/is against the rules in my class. I will be modifying the firewall this winter to get it installed. Neither of these are required for my class of mud racing but with the abuse everthing goes thru it is a good thing to invest in.
lghting94
lghting94

Back to top Go down

Protection from exploding flywheels and flexplates Empty Re: Protection from exploding flywheels and flexplates

Post  4thHorseman September 15th 2009, 4:02 pm

I seen the pics of the stocker flexplate coming apart and going thru the shop wall.... pale
some kinda armor is going on mine.
4thHorseman
4thHorseman

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea September 15th 2009, 4:38 pm

4thHorseman wrote:I seen the pics of the stocker flexplate coming apart and going thru the shop wall.... pale
some kinda armor is going on mine.

I finally got a chance to see the pictures, now that's some scary sh!$ affraid
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  powerstrokeace September 15th 2009, 10:56 pm

SFI's come apart too.....

Ace
powerstrokeace
powerstrokeace

Back to top Go down

Post  Notch 501 September 16th 2009, 12:06 am

sfi flexplates do come apart picked up my share on the start line......schrapnel galore...... affraid
Notch 501
Notch 501

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down