BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SBF distributor/cam gear failure

3 posters

Go down

SBF distributor/cam gear failure Empty SBF distributor/cam gear failure

Post  jasonf October 10th 2011, 9:40 pm

After leaving BG last week and heading to Biloxi for Cruising the Coast Tuesday night my trusty bucket left me stranded on the side of the road. After a bit of troubleshooting I noticed the distributor was not turning the correct amount per crank revolution. After a quick tear down I found the cam gear wore right off on one side and the distributor gear with damage as well. Looking at the damage I would say it looks like a miss-match between the gear harness for the camshaft. Searching both MSD and Comp Cams for tech I found a good video here.

The cam is a comp hyd. roller. After watching the video it looks like the cam is a ductile iron to me. The gear looks like a hardened gear (smooth not cast) which according to the video is correct.

This is in my 382 Bennett build windsor. It just rolled over 2000 miles.

The dist. is a MSD 85805 found here.
The gear is installed at the correct height as found here.

The only thing I can see is that I am wrong about which cam I have so I thought I would post a couple pics here before I call comp in the morning. I already talked to someone about a new cam but I just want to make sure and identify the problem so it doesn't happen again.

thanks,
Jason

SBF distributor/cam gear failure Camgear

SBF distributor/cam gear failure Distributor

jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

SBF distributor/cam gear failure Empty Re: SBF distributor/cam gear failure

Post  83-88T-Bird Guy October 11th 2011, 3:57 pm

Ouch !
I feel your pain Jason.

Last year I put a duraspark dizzy with a cast gear into one of my cars with a hyd. roller cam just so I could drive it home.
Stupid me, I decided to drive thru the Taco Bell drive thru and the engine idled @ 550 rpm for over 10 minutes.
I suppose there was not enough oil splashing up on the dizzy gear @ 550 rpm tho.

Almost made it home but got within 1/3 mile and the engine died.
Come to find out the cast gear wore so fast against that steel cam gear that the dizzy stopped turning.

I have yet to find any metal shavings in that engine, even after draining the oil and changed the filter. Mad
83-88T-Bird Guy
83-88T-Bird Guy

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori October 14th 2011, 9:48 pm

Man Jason, that looks bad for 2000 miles!! Does the engine builder have any thoughts?

Bill

PS: Alan, hopefully the filings aren't being kept safely in the bearings!!
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf October 14th 2011, 10:22 pm

Bill that is the problem with cross breeding parts in my opinion. The dist gear needs to be softer then the cam gear. The cam I have is a comp cams cast iron roller. Comp recommends either a brass or composite gear or MSD has a treated gear as well (melonite coated). Looking at my damage I would say that my dist gear is obviously too hard and my gear looks nothing like the melonite gears that MSD has. It's a moot point now anyways. I ordered a new comp cam and comp cam composite gear at the same time. I sent some pics to Bennett last week just to see what they had to say but I am not expecting any kind of warranty or anything. I was more looking for input being that I wouldn't expect a simple mistake like that from a place like Bennett Racing.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori October 15th 2011, 1:43 am

jasonf wrote:Bill that is the problem with cross breeding parts in my opinion. The dist gear needs to be softer then the cam gear. The cam I have is a comp cams cast iron roller. Comp recommends either a brass or composite gear or MSD has a treated gear as well (melonite coated). Looking at my damage I would say that my dist gear is obviously too hard and my gear looks nothing like the melonite gears that MSD has. It's a moot point now anyways. I ordered a new comp cam and comp cam composite gear at the same time. I sent some pics to Bennett last week just to see what they had to say but I am not expecting any kind of warranty or anything. I was more looking for input being that I wouldn't expect a simple mistake like that from a place like Bennett Racing.

Makes sense Jason, just sucks it happened on your cruise and not just a quick run to the store for a case of Canadian eh???

Planning on any upgrades in the process?

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf October 15th 2011, 9:18 am

Bill just a smidge more duration and moved the lobe separation 2* closer. Up until it quit I have never touched a thing on the car since we bought it and Lisa keeps telling me to leave it alone so I don't screw it up. lol
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down