BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newly rebuilt 460 vibration?

3 posters

Go down

Newly rebuilt 460 vibration? Empty Newly rebuilt 460 vibration?

Post  Mark460 November 2nd 2011, 2:27 pm

I have a newly rebuilt 460, street strip application in 71 Mustang, Richmond 5-speed.
I don’t feel like it runs as smooth as it should from about 2500 on up. Feels more like a vibration to me, but rotating assy was balanced by machine shop. I don’t know if this helps, but in order to describe vibration I feel, I put a quarter on top of the flat area on my stock shifter consol in my 71 Mustang, it is the hard plastic small console. At loping idle it doesn’t move, if I slowly rev engine in neutral to about 3000 RPM, the quarter slowly moves on the flat area. If I hold my hand on the valve cover while reving the engine it feels smooth by hand, so I’m thinking the header tubes are touching the frame. I checked and clearanced all the header tubes. Engine mounts are stock rubber CJ type for a 71 Mustang.
Here is more info on the build: DOVE heads, 2.19, 1.71 valves, ported and flowed. TRW 2404 pistons, 10:1 CR, currently running pump gas. H-beam rods. Wiend stealth with 1000cfm Pro Systems carb. Comp XE274H All MSD ignition, 6AL, billet dist (two lightest silver springs, 21 deg bushing), new MSD plug wires, etc. Timing is about 13 initial, 34 total. Has internal balance crank and aftermarket steel flywheel and pressure plate was balanced separately by the machine shop.
Any ideas on what or if there is anything wrong? Thanks

Mark460

Back to top Go down

Newly rebuilt 460 vibration? Empty Re: Newly rebuilt 460 vibration?

Post  Curt November 2nd 2011, 5:59 pm

NVH can be transmitted through anything touching anything. Manufactures drive engineers crazy trying to get rid of it.
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  DanH November 2nd 2011, 9:19 pm

you have a pilot bushing in the crank ? drop in any gear , with the clutch prdal to the floor ... rev it up . still got the vib

DanH

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down