BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New convertor =no traction

+4
the Coug
whitefield
dfree383
manofmerc
8 posters

Go down

New convertor =no traction  Empty New convertor =no traction

Post  manofmerc November 7th 2011, 6:57 am

In the trans section I did the c6 build and convertor swap .I was finally able to make it to Reynolds this weekend .My car that had always dead hooked with my 10"tci convertor has so much torque it spins for the first 30' of the track.I had some buddies watch and they confirmed this .I lowered my tire psi.it didnt help any .I made a test and tune and it hooked once I had a 2' wheelie and 1.53 60ft..My 60 ft. now are 1.88 and I believe a2.00 60ft .I am to sad to even look at my time slips .I am somewhat tire limited 28x9.00 on an 8"rim good rear springs and shocks .My tire are getting old and I will be replacing them next year .This convertor is an 8" ati treemaster .Maybe I should call it the spinmaster .What should I do send this back to ati so they can tighten it up ?It will flash to 5000.It just overpowers my 67 comet .This is a simple bracket car 466 edel heads rpm air gap 950 carb solid flat tappet cam 250-259 11.67 compression .On a cool day it has ran a best of 7.26 94 mph.What about less low end torque ?Maybe remove my collector extensions and put my victor intake on .I really think I need to send my convertor back to ati .My car needs to hook consistently .And at the moment I cant afford a new rear suspension .What you you guys think ?? Crying or Very sad

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

New convertor =no traction  Empty Re: New convertor =no traction

Post  dfree383 November 7th 2011, 7:07 am

IMO the convertor isn't the problem, Its diong exactly what its supposed to.

Its time to work on the suspension........... and maybe some bigger tires.

How much Gear you running?
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  manofmerc November 7th 2011, 7:38 am

My gears are 4.56 I do have a chunk setup with 4.10 But wouldnt that make my car stall higher ?I am thinking about rying to replace my 9.00x28 with some 9.00x30 what you think ?I will have to around to see if they would fit I know a ss racer with a fairlane I think he has some30" on his car .Thanks for the response .Doug

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 November 7th 2011, 7:41 am

4.56 is to way to much gear with a c6 and a 28" tire.

3.91 would be my guess if you keep the small tire, maybe 4.10 with the 30" ones.

Do you have adjustable shocks? What Springs? Any kind of bars?
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

New convertor =no traction  Empty so less is more ?

Post  manofmerc November 7th 2011, 12:59 pm

Dfree I am running the 1/8 that is the reason for the 4.56 .Shocks arent anything special I do have good springs .They have an additional leaf that extends to the front of the spring eye .My t bars are lakewood that bolt in place at the spring pad mount .They are extended to the front of the spring eye as well .I havent been able to test and try different settings .I thought I might have traction problems but not anything this bad .Do you really think the 4.10 gear will help this .As in my earlier post my understanding is less gear more stall .But it might have less of a torque multiplication effect .I havent been able to really test much this is second time out and race season is about over so I am asking opinions and I havent called my convertor guy yet either .Thanks again for your replys .Doug

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield November 7th 2011, 1:15 pm

Less gear would make your engine happier ! Converter is doing its job. suspension is where I would start. I went from a 9.5" 4500 to a 8"5500 and back to a 9.5"4800 . With all of that changing I am back with the 8" 5500. With The 8" I had alot of wheel spin too , but after tuning my suspension .The car has gone a 1.46 60 foot and 6.80 in the 1/8th with a best ever MPH of 104.519 with 4.11 gears and a 28" tire.
good luck
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug November 7th 2011, 1:17 pm

the problem is those 9 inch tires you ain't ever gonna get them to hook witha big block......
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 November 7th 2011, 1:59 pm

The big issue is the C6 1st gear, your just overpowering your current set-up and the higher gear will help alot, put the 4.10's in and get some bigger and taller tires.

Call Caltrac, they have some of the best leaf spring set-ups and suspension parts. I'd take a serious look a complete system from them Front and rear, Traction Bars, F&R Springs and F&R shocks.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield November 7th 2011, 2:44 pm

dfree383 wrote:The big issue is the C6 1st gear, your just overpowering your current set-up and the higher gear will help alot, put the 4.10's in and get some bigger and taller tires.

Call Caltrac, they have some of the best leaf spring set-ups and suspension parts. I'd take a serious look a complete system from them Front and rear, Traction Bars, F&R Springs and F&R shocks.

1st gear in the c6 isn't the problem in his aplication it is suspension. sounds like to me he could take off in third gear and still spin.

Put this set up under your car and some 4:10s and see what happens. Very Happy Cool http://www.calvertracing.com/cart/ymm.php?year=1967&make=MERCURY&model=COMET
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  dr's wife racing November 7th 2011, 3:53 pm

I agree with D Free the front and rear shocks adj drag will will make a huge difference.There are some out there that are not that expensine.I ran a set of moroso drag springs on front of my 69.They helped a lot.Cal tracks work great but a fairly expensive.You can make a set bolt on slapper bars form box tube where they clamp the rear leaf spring. use a 3/4 bolt,with a jam nut in the front where it contacts the eye of the spring.This way you can adjust them and add pre load.I ran low 1.40 60's on a 28 10 tire this way for a long time. Best of all you can make them for about $20.00 tools and fabracation is not hard at all.
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Race Ready Fabrications November 7th 2011, 3:54 pm

Also check these guys out http://www.srdparts.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=50&category_id=28&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

I've installed these and the calverts for customers and these definitely offer more adjustability and a finer tuning window. But both will prolly do what you need.
Race Ready Fabrications
Race Ready Fabrications

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 November 7th 2011, 6:56 pm

466 with Eddy's and 3 speed auto and optimum converter (200-300 above torque peak) with 4.10's is boarder line with 28x10.5's been there done that. That was with a good working fox.

Again this is a deal where you gear the car to use all three gears and cross the strip at the shift point. When you do this it puts the first gear final drive way to low.

This is a BBF not a small block with low torque. Gear it to run like a glide (2 speeds) through the 1/8 with your 9 inch tires and it will 1/4 mile in high gear.

3.55 OR 3.73 with the 9 inch tire. Gear the car to where the car 60 ft's the best, and don't worry about the end of the eight it will get there.

There is a place for the three speed , but a 9 inch tire and a big block ford (unless rules make you) is not the application for it.
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug November 7th 2011, 7:19 pm

do you realize with a 9 inch tire you only have about a 6 inch square contact patch trying to stick to the track?
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt November 7th 2011, 7:45 pm

the Coug wrote:do you realize with a 9 inch tire you only have about a 6 inch square contact patch trying to stick to the track?

thats more than you would have with a M/S 7.00/15 Laughing
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

New convertor =no traction  Empty Tire and suspension

Post  manofmerc November 8th 2011, 7:42 am

Thanks for all the responces guys! First I am currently stuck with my 9" wide tires so I have to work with my current wheel well dimensions .I do have 90-10 shocks on the front end and a set of smallblock springs frontend lift isnt a problem .My slapper bars have been effective until now .With my 10"convertor the whole car lifts whenever I leave the line .Currently it spins for 30' .I spoke with the ati tech line .Pretty much they agree with most of you all .My solution seems to be cal trac bars and suspension .Which i plan on looking into .Back to the 9"tires After my conversation with atl I realized just how old my slicks were .They are at least 3 years old .Time for some new rubber .I know I need wider tires but with out major surgery it isnt going to work .And I dont have the $ to put 10"-10.5" tire on my car .I will have the $ for caltracs next year .But I would like to get my car to hookup with my current traction bars and new 9" slicks My shocks on the back are nothing special they worked before but I need all the help I can get .What about some drag shocks for my rear suspension ??And when drag season comes around in a few months I can try my 4.10 and some other parts swaping .Dfree I hadnt ever thought about the low gear in a c6 that is a contributing factor but my c6 isnt going anywhere anytime soon .Sharp of you to think of that .So what do drag shocks for the rear suspension do for a leaf spring car ? Idea Thanks to all of you Doug

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down