BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

rotating assembly selection

+5
jrocco
the Coug
rmcomprandy
bbf-falcon
pickleweasel
9 posters

Go down

rotating assembly selection Empty rotating assembly selection

Post  pickleweasel December 28th 2011, 12:11 am

I posted earlier about having some main bearings go bad on my engine during break in, the number 2,3,4 bearings. I took the block to the machine shop last week to get checked out but forgot to take pics of the bearings. The crankshaft did measure straight though.

My main question this time is regarding the crankshaft. On of my good friends suggested that I get away from the externally balanced 460 crankshaft and go internal balance. He also said that if I need to replace the crankshaft that I might consider a stroker kit, which I am considering. Money is not the main concern at the moment but I'm not going to go overboard. Right now it is a 466 with externally balanced crankshaft, I-beam rods and forged probe pistons. How good is this crankshaft for competition use? It is mainly a street car but I am not going to scrimp on the integrity of the rotating assembly either way. He told me that a concern with external balanced crankshafts is that they are more prone to flexing than internal balanced crankshafts. If this is going to be a problem I am going to switch to internal balanced. When I built the engine a couple years ago that is what I had so that is what I used.

My friend is a Probe dealer and said he can get me set up with either a 521 or 545 stroked kit which includes forged crankshaft, forged rods, forged pistons, rings and bearings, all balanced and ready to drop in for about $2300. Now, like I said this is mainly a street engine but I do have the stock configuration Blue Thunder heads 9painted engine color) and dual plane intake. I would like to keep the sleeper look to the engine with this set up for personal preference and was wondering if a 545 would be too much for this combo with a 950 carburetor? Or would the 521 be better suited? I would like to stay away from a single plane intake and a dominator carburetor on this build so I can keep a relatively stock appearnce. Camshaft selection is still up in the air, I have a pretty stout solid lifter cam at the moment but will have to find the specs.

Or should I keep an eye out for a good internal balance 460 crank and run that? Like I said, realistically it will be 90-95% street but if when I do go to the track I want it to hold up well and run even better Very Happy

Finally, what are your thoughts on the hardware? Studs or bolts on the heads and/or mains?

pickleweasel

Back to top Go down

rotating assembly selection Empty Re: rotating assembly selection

Post  bbf-falcon December 28th 2011, 12:20 am

I think first of all I would find the problem w/bearings. For what you are doing your crank will be fine as long as it checks out ok. The cranks are as strong as the any nod cranks out there. flexing's not your problem imo.
For what you are doing ,just stay w/bolts that you have.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy December 28th 2011, 12:46 am

You have a problem which is NOT what you think it is. Whether or not it is internally or externally balanced won't cause the bearing problem and in your case, neither will the type of fasteners.

Maybe the oil pan or another oiling issue somewhere.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug December 28th 2011, 1:34 am

The internal vs External is BS I ran one for 10 years with absolutely no Problems what so ever.....if it is Balanced it is good to go, like the guys said before you have another problem you need to find before you worry about what crank is best.....
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  jrocco December 28th 2011, 9:35 am

pickleweasel wrote:

Or should I keep an eye out for a good internal balance 460 crank and run that? Like I said, realistically it will be 90-95% street but if when I do go to the track I want it to hold up well and run even better Very Happy

I have a 460 internal balanced crank that has been magnifluxed, steel abraided, turned 10/10, oil holes chamfered and journals polished. I would take $225.00 + the ride.
jrocco
jrocco

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle December 28th 2011, 11:48 am

Fix the oiling problem and make sure the crank you have is balanced. The external cranks will last a long time. If you were building a dragstrip only deal that will see 20+ passes a weekend then step up. Since it's a street deal just keep what you have.

Find the problem first!!! It's not the crank!!!

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  pickleweasel December 28th 2011, 8:03 pm

I figured the problem is not the crankshaft, I'm looking at a bad line bore or oiling issue as the problem. I understand and appreciate the advice, I'm not planning on moving forward until I do find the problem. I'm just thinking ahead as now would be a good time to upgrade the package, and was wondering if I should stick with the current combo (after the problem has been found and solved) or step up to a 521?

pickleweasel

Back to top Go down

Post  quick 52 December 29th 2011, 9:55 am

pickleweasel wrote:I figured the problem is not the crankshaft, I'm looking at a bad line bore or oiling issue as the problem. I understand and appreciate the advice, I'm not planning on moving forward until I do find the problem. I'm just thinking ahead as now would be a good time to upgrade the package, and was wondering if I should stick with the current combo (after the problem has been found and solved) or step up to a 521?
gary yeomans ford in daytona fl. has ford motorsport 521 kit for $1050 racingjunk.com

quick 52

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De December 29th 2011, 10:50 am

quick 52 wrote:
pickleweasel wrote:I figured the problem is not the crankshaft, I'm looking at a bad line bore or oiling issue as the problem. I understand and appreciate the advice, I'm not planning on moving forward until I do find the problem. I'm just thinking ahead as now would be a good time to upgrade the package, and was wondering if I should stick with the current combo (after the problem has been found and solved) or step up to a 521?
gary yeomans ford in daytona fl. has ford motorsport 521 kit for $1050 racingjunk.com

That looks like a perfect kit for your street strip deal.
http://www.racingjunk.com/Rotating-Assemblies/2373185/FORD-RACING-521-STROKER-KIT-429-460-BBF.html

The crank weights are made for external balance so you need to buy the weighted flex plate and hatchet spacer for the balance. Take the parts to a balancer that has a good machine. Hines balancers come to mind.

Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  quick 52 December 29th 2011, 12:00 pm

Dave De wrote:
quick 52 wrote:

http://www.racingjunk.com/Rotating-Assemblies/2373185/FORD-RACING-521-STROKER-KIT-429-460-BBF.html

The crank weights are made for external balance so you need to buy the weighted flex plate and hatchet spacer for the balance. Take the parts to a balancer that has a good machine. Hines balancers come to mind.

Dave De cool looking stang im in utica alot grew up there. do u run your car or cruise good to see a BBF in the area

quick 52

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De December 29th 2011, 12:53 pm

quick 52 wrote:
Dave De wrote:
quick 52 wrote:

Dave De cool looking stang im in utica alot grew up there. do u run your car or cruise good to see a BBF in the area

Thanks Quick52,
You are so right there arent may BBF's around here. I grew up in Sterling Heights and Utica. Back in the day (mid 70's) I had a blue Boss 302 that was street raced. Most of the muscle car crowd and all of the police knew me. I've been running the yellow Mustang on the street way to much and its been to the track four times this year. I'm not much of a cruiser and used the car on the street for grocery getting trips. Last spring I went to Home depot got out of the car and grabbed a flat bed cart and a guy asked me if I was going to buy concrete and haul it in that thing. I said no just three bags of fertilizer.
The car has run 9.65 and with some chassis tuning it should go 9.30's next year before I put a street roller cam in it. Send me your contact information and maybe we can meet sometime in the spring or summer. If you were around here in the mid 70's tell me about yourself.

Dave

Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  quick 52 December 29th 2011, 8:26 pm

Dave De wrote:
quick 52 wrote:
Dave De wrote:
quick 52 wrote:

pm sent

Thanks Quick52,
You are so right there arent may BBF's around here. I grew up in Sterling Heights and Utica. Back in the day (mid 70's) I had a blue Boss 302 that was street raced. Most of the muscle car crowd and all of the police knew me. I've been running the yellow Mustang on the street way to much and its been to the track four times this year. I'm not much of a cruiser and used the car on the street for grocery getting trips. Last spring I went to Home depot got out of the car and grabbed a flat bed cart and a guy asked me if I was going to buy concrete and haul it in that thing. I said no just three bags of fertilizer.
The car has run 9.65 and with some chassis tuning it should go 9.30's next year before I put a street roller cam in it. Send me your contact information and maybe we can meet sometime in the spring or summer. If you were around here in the mid 70's tell me about yourself.

Dave

quick 52

Back to top Go down

Post  quick 52 January 1st 2012, 10:34 am

Dave De look at your messages send u a pm

quick 52

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De January 1st 2012, 1:38 pm

quick 52 wrote:Dave De look at your messages send u a pm

I didnt receive it but sent you a pm with my email address if our mail is not working.
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 January 1st 2012, 5:38 pm

I am running a External balanced crank turning it 6500 rpms with no problems for 2 years it is a 89 model D9 block and crank.I would turn it harder but my rods is my weak point being factory rods.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down