BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

early model fuel injected help needed

+3
res0rli9
69F100
Larry T
7 posters

Go down

early model fuel injected help needed Empty early model fuel injected help needed

Post  Larry T February 4th 2012, 3:21 pm

a friend wants to change his 88/89 model fuel injected motor to a carbed motor.the motor was rebuilt 30,000 miles ago so the bottom end should be ok.he wants to use his injected heads and just put the carbed intake on but im not sure that will work or fix the lazyness the motor has.

i have a set of 78/79 model heads and 4 barrel intake to use.i am thinking we need to change the timeing gear set to the older model as well and put in a good rv type cam.we will be changeing the ignition system as well.

i dont know enough about this to say yea it will all come to gether with out any problems.any help you guys can give or suggestions as to the direction to go in would be a big help.
Larry T
Larry T

Back to top Go down

early model fuel injected help needed Empty Re: early model fuel injected help needed

Post  69F100 February 4th 2012, 8:08 pm

the fuel injected engine has the strieght up timing set not the retraded set
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

early model fuel injected help needed Empty Re: early model fuel injected help needed

Post  Larry T February 5th 2012, 3:00 am

that solves the timeing set question.

will this intake work with D3 heads FRPP M-9424-J429 ?
Larry T
Larry T

Back to top Go down

Post  Larry T February 5th 2012, 4:05 am

ok after doing some serching looks like the fuelie heads have to go the carbed intakes wont fit the 88 and up heads.weiand stealth 8012 0-6000 rpm or eldebrock preformer 2166 0-5500 rpm will work with the D3 heads.

now all we need is a cam sugestion and i dont know cams for chit....remember all this truck does is tow a 30ft trailer loaded with a 3000lb car and equipment.
Larry T
Larry T

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 February 5th 2012, 6:05 am

You need one of these, go to page 2 for specs...you could do it with the D3s
https://www.429-460.com/t2925-502-f350-engine

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave February 5th 2012, 9:05 am

Several years ago I too "dicked around" with an engine similar as to the one you mentioned. I advanced the stock cam 4*. The engine responded very well at lower speeds, normal, everyday driving, except when towing it seemed detonation was at times present. Not wanting to "band-aid" the problem by upgrading to a higher octane gasoline, I reset the cam timing back 2*, to 2* advanced. It worked very well and offered a noticeable increase in normal, everyday driving without detonation.

As to the carburetor/injection change, it should work fine as long as the intake manifold you choose is compatible with the cylinder head coolant port. Use the factory injection pump with an aftermarket fuel regulator, incorporate the existing return line, adjust the fuel pressure in the 4 to 6 psi range and drive on!

Sorry of the rambling and to make a short story shorter, I would check the degree (position) of the camshaft, find the installed degree and go from there.

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy February 5th 2012, 12:13 pm

Larry T wrote:ok after doing some serching looks like the fuelie heads have to go the carbed intakes wont fit the 88 and up heads.weiand stealth 8012 0-6000 rpm or eldebrock preformer 2166 0-5500 rpm will work with the D3 heads.

now all we need is a cam sugestion and i dont know cams for chit....remember all this truck does is tow a 30ft trailer loaded with a 3000lb car and equipment.

Fuelie heads also have a different EXHAUST flange.
Price Motorsports offer plates which allow the use of carbureted intake manifolds on fuelie heads.

For towing use the performer intake manifold and a Lunati #06169 camshaft.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon February 5th 2012, 12:15 pm

Larry T wrote:a friend wants to change his 88/89 model fuel injected motor to a carbed motor.the motor was rebuilt 30,000 miles ago so the bottom end should be ok.he wants to use his injected heads and just put the carbed intake on but im not sure that will work or fix the lazyness the motor has.

i have a set of 78/79 model heads and 4 barrel intake to use.i am thinking we need to change the timeing gear set to the older model as well and put in a good rv type cam.we will be changeing the ignition system as well.

i dont know enough about this to say yea it will all come to gether with out any problems.any help you guys can give or suggestions as to the direction to go in would be a big help.

Will this intake work?
https://www.429-460.com/t8963-fuel-injected-intake-converted-to-carb-for-sale-125?highlight=intake

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans February 5th 2012, 12:19 pm

Larry T wrote:that solves the timeing set question.

will this intake work with D3 heads FRPP M-9424-J429 ?

J429 are the same as the Performer RPM.......it'll bolt right on the D3 .

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum