BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How many passes on a motor befour its time to freshen it up ????

+7
Lem Evans
Moodyblues
Barney
dfree383
bbf-falcon
BOSS 429
racinghabbit
11 posters

Go down

How many passes on a motor befour its time to freshen it up ???? Empty How many passes on a motor befour its time to freshen it up ????

Post  racinghabbit February 12th 2012, 7:31 pm

How many passes on a motor befour its time to freshen it up ???? Like on a 1/4 mile big block ford stroker..... no nos... just gas... with good parts full roller...600plus HP..
THANKS
racinghabbit
racinghabbit

Back to top Go down

How many passes on a motor befour its time to freshen it up ???? Empty Re: How many passes on a motor befour its time to freshen it up ????

Post  BOSS 429 February 12th 2012, 7:41 pm

racinghabbit wrote:How many passes on a motor befour its time to freshen it up ???? Like on a 1/4 mile big block ford stroker..... no nos... just gas... with good parts full roller...600plus HP..
THANKS

Depends on rpm also, some we have to change valve springs 3 times a season or more. Now w/600 hp ,watch ring seal,and oil presser, 40/50 passes we'll take it apart anyway end of the year.
others we pull the pan during the year if we find anything in the filter that makes us question it. THE MORE POWER ,the more rpms the more often it's apart to look

Ive got one thats got OVER 6oo passes on it, i need to get it apart, It's went from 80 psi to 55/60 in 10 years, its way past time lol
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

How many passes on a motor befour its time to freshen it up ???? Empty Re: How many passes on a motor befour its time to freshen it up ????

Post  bbf-falcon February 13th 2012, 12:29 am

I agree,has alot to do w/application and How much of a highend engine it is.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 February 13th 2012, 12:42 am

Like has already been said, keeping track of leakdown, oil pressure, regular inspection of oil / filters and valvetrain part replacement are a must to get the most out of one.

I'm like Rich and Like to pull them apart every winter if I have time, typical they won't require anything.... But Replaceing Valvesprings and Roller Lifters is usually a good Idea.

A good tune is a must too, detonation will kill a motor real fast too.

dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney February 13th 2012, 1:31 am

I agree with what has been said. I like to look at mine every year. Gives me something to do in the winter time when I'm bored.
Barney
Barney

http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Post  racinghabbit February 14th 2012, 9:50 am

HEY GUYS I NEED A LITTLE HELP.. THERE IS A 528 FOR SALE ON THIS SITE.. I AM A LITTLE WORRIED THAT IT NEEDS TO BE GONE THREW..

COULD YOU READ THE ADD AND TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK.. M

MESSAGE ME IF YOU DONT WANT TO WRITE IT ON HERE.
THANKS
racinghabbit
racinghabbit

Back to top Go down

Post  Moodyblues February 23rd 2012, 8:01 pm

Ran mine for 8 yrs over 600 passes and it was shifted around 5800-6000 and about 650 hp
Moodyblues
Moodyblues

http://www.russhoodinsurance.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans February 23rd 2012, 8:15 pm

dfree used a key word...inspection. Every engine deserves a look see at the bearings every off season. There are always "surprises" from time to time, be it from tune-up or a part that is not what it should be. As has been said....a guy needs to stay after the valve springs/lash and roller lifters.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney February 23rd 2012, 8:25 pm

600 passes is a TON of passes to not look at anything that's going on. Valve springs, lash, bearings, etc, etc. Even if nothing is wrong we always seem to find something that makes us glad we did, and the more your leaning on it, the more it should be looked at.
Barney
Barney

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea February 24th 2012, 12:26 pm

"Rule of thumb" rebuild/replace the roller lifters every 150 passes.
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 February 24th 2012, 12:45 pm

I get bored with a given combo after a few years anyway lol, I usually will pull one apart for inspection ever 3 seasons if it needs it or not. My between race inspections on valvetrain etc are probably a lot more in depth than most do in a whole year.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno February 24th 2012, 3:31 pm

about every 10 years for me Very Happy

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney February 24th 2012, 3:50 pm

bruno wrote:about every 10 years for me Very Happy
Sounds about right...
Barney
Barney

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 February 25th 2012, 3:05 am

bruno wrote:about every 10 years for me Very Happy

You have a horse shoe up your butt ! affraid
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane February 25th 2012, 4:12 am

racinghabbit wrote:How many passes on a motor befour its time to freshen it up ????
THANKS
ideally, about 1 pass before it breaks. Wink
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down