BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Summit and Jegs line of Racing Wheels

+2
69F100
HorsinAround
6 posters

Go down

Summit and Jegs line of Racing Wheels Empty Summit and Jegs line of Racing Wheels

Post  HorsinAround February 13th 2012, 5:33 pm

Was looking at Summit and Jegs label Aluminum wheels and was wondering if anyone has had experience with them. The price on them is very attractive over the name brand wheels.

Thank You,

Alan
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

http://www.frontpagefab.com

Back to top Go down

Summit and Jegs line of Racing Wheels Empty Re: Summit and Jegs line of Racing Wheels

Post  69F100 February 13th 2012, 9:01 pm

HorsinAround wrote:Was looking at Summit and Jegs label Aluminum wheels and was wondering if anyone has had experience with them. The price on them is very attractive over the name brand wheels.

Thank You,

Alan

I am running the jegs pro stars 15x4 on the front of my ranger they look just like the welds except the lug nut recess in the wheels I have not had any problems with mine yet.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Summit and Jegs line of Racing Wheels Empty Re: Summit and Jegs line of Racing Wheels

Post  nickbay February 15th 2012, 4:29 pm

[/quote]

I am running the jegs pro stars 15x4 on the front of my ranger they look just like the welds except the lug nut recess in the wheels I have not had any problems with mine yet.[/quote]

I have been looking at these also as I have Weld Prostars that require long studs and are a pain to intall.
I was wondering for the conical lug nut, do you use a 3/4 wrench on the nut, or 13/16?
Since they are recessed where the lug nut fits, what size lug nut hex do you need to get?
nickbay
nickbay

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 February 15th 2012, 10:07 pm

because i have to have open lugs at the track i put regular 1/2 with the 13/16 nut size i use a regular deep well socket on my tq wrench to tighten them but the long chrome lugs will work if you not running on the track they don't like closed lugs Evil or Very Mad
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Summit and Jegs line of Racing Wheels Empty Jeg's wheels

Post  85montess February 16th 2012, 9:06 am

I don't know about the Summit brand, but the Jeg's Pro Star knock offs are a lot heavier than the true Pro Star wheels. It is hard to judge, but I would say almost twice as heavy.
85montess
85montess

Back to top Go down

Summit and Jegs line of Racing Wheels Empty wheel weight

Post  nickbay February 16th 2012, 1:50 pm

I called Summit Racing about their Fast Five wheel that looks like the Pro-Star. I weighed two of my Pro-Star wheels.

15 by 4 Fast Five weighs 16.5 lbs Shocked , Pro-Star 15 by 3.5 weighs 10.5
15 by 8 Fast Five weighs 20.25 lbs Shocked , Pro-Star 15 by 8 weighs 13 lbs.
15 by 10 Fast Five weighs 22.375 lbs, I don't have a Pro-Star 10" weight.
nickbay
nickbay

Back to top Go down

Post  mtacqua February 16th 2012, 10:12 pm

I have the summit 5 stars on the street, so far no issues.
mtacqua
mtacqua

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE February 16th 2012, 10:45 pm

If I remember correctly the cheaper Jegs/Summit knockoffs of Weld's Pro Stars are a much heavier one piece cast aluminum rim. And the original Weld Pro Stars are made of two much lighter thin stamped aluminum rim half sections welded together.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  nickbay February 17th 2012, 11:00 am

DILLIGASDAVE wrote:If I remember correctly the cheaper Jegs/Summit knockoffs of Weld's Pro Stars are a much heavier one piece cast aluminum rim. And the original Weld Pro Stars are made of two much lighter thin stamped aluminum rim half sections welded together.

You are correct, the Pro-Star starts out as two pieces, you can see it come together when you bolt the wheel on.
nickbay
nickbay

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 February 17th 2012, 10:01 pm

yes they are alittle heavier by 6 lbs but i bought both my front wheels for lest than 1 welds i am running welds on the rear because i could not get a 15x12 in the jegs brand,rick has the summint brand on the front of his they shine but the jegs has a deeper shine look
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE February 17th 2012, 10:55 pm

69F100 wrote:.......i am running welds on the rear because i could not get a 15x12 in the jegs brand............

That is probably because a cast aluminum rim in the 15x12 to 15x15 range would be increasingly heavier vs a "true" race wheel, and not be able to be SFI certified because of the cast aluminum. Long ago the ancient cast aluminum slots that were popular at one time, were in fact offered in a 15x12. But they were very heavy.

In effect the cast aluminum knock-offs of the original Weld Pro Stars are very similar in mechanical construction to the ancient cast aluminum slots (rough cast aluminum blank, then finished). And since both the knock-offs & ancient slots are rigid cast aluminum (& less ductile) they have to be a given amount thicker in certain areas when compared to "race" stamped/forged & welded wheel (or a race milled-billet wheel) to have enough side/deflection strength to help reduce possible crack/break failures of the rigid cast aluminum.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down