BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re: sacha

+3
res0rli9
rmcomprandy
holdies12
7 posters

Go down

Re: sacha Empty Re: sacha

Post  holdies12 March 22nd 2012, 4:58 am

Hi folks, I am new to the BBF world, although I have been around engines all my life.
I got my 462 a couple of years ago, It had been sitting outside for a while, so it is seized. I took the heads off & leaned on the crank lightly but shes a stubborn SOB. I have oiled the bores etc & tapped the pistons with a rubber mallet & wooden drift, but only just got a tiny movement at the crank. I want to save this monster, and build a rat rod around it.
Any handy tips would be greatly appreciated. apparently some rebuild kits are still available, & I will need a starter motor at some stage. Maybe you guys can help with what might fit. Hopefully an FE one will do the job.
Maybe I can help you too. Cheers, Sacha. Hamilton, NZ

holdies12

Back to top Go down

Re: sacha Empty Re: Re: sacha

Post  rmcomprandy March 22nd 2012, 8:45 am

holdies12 wrote:Hi folks, I am new to the BBF world, although I have been around engines all my life.
I got my 462 a couple of years ago, It had been sitting outside for a while, so it is seized. I took the heads off & leaned on the crank lightly but shes a stubborn SOB. I have oiled the bores etc & tapped the pistons with a rubber mallet & wooden drift, but only just got a tiny movement at the crank. I want to save this monster, and build a rat rod around it.
Any handy tips would be greatly appreciated. apparently some rebuild kits are still available, & I will need a starter motor at some stage. Maybe you guys can help with what might fit. Hopefully an FE one will do the job.
Maybe I can help you too. Cheers, Sacha. Hamilton, NZ

FORD'S larger version of the GM 348/409 ...

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 March 22nd 2012, 10:33 am

Here ya go.
http://ford-mel-engine.com/
The last two mins. Mel. takes top fuel.
http://ford-mel-engine.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=383

Last edited by res0rli9 on March 22nd 2012, 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper March 22nd 2012, 12:20 pm

Yep Mercury, Edsel, Lincoln motor. Lots of torque not much horsepower. heavy engines but once running are very reliable. there are still rebuild kits available. depending on what year depends on which bell housing to use and which starter. early ones used FE, mid years have a little different one but can be made to work with 385 series and the later ones have a 385 pattern. we used a few of these in our Edsels over the years.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  466cj March 22nd 2012, 1:06 pm

whatbumper wrote:Yep Mercury, Edsel, Lincoln motor. Lots of torque not much horsepower. heavy engines but once running are very reliable. there are still rebuild kits available. depending on what year depends on which bell housing to use and which starter. early ones used FE, mid years have a little different one but can be made to work with 385 series and the later ones have a 385 pattern. we used a few of these in our Edsels over the years.

The later one which are the 462 btw are not the same as a 385 bell bolt pattern. Parts are the same, but it is not the same as a 385.

466cj

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper March 22nd 2012, 11:26 pm

466cj wrote:
whatbumper wrote:Yep Mercury, Edsel, Lincoln motor. Lots of torque not much horsepower. heavy engines but once running are very reliable. there are still rebuild kits available. depending on what year depends on which bell housing to use and which starter. early ones used FE, mid years have a little different one but can be made to work with 385 series and the later ones have a 385 pattern. we used a few of these in our Edsels over the years.

The later one which are the 462 btw are not the same as a 385 bell bolt pattern. Parts are the same, but it is not the same as a 385.

You are correct. But it can work. I have never used the later blocks so I was unsure. All the ones we used had the ones that we could just grind a little and not use on of the top bolts. I was just going by old mens hearsay.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon March 23rd 2012, 4:44 pm

Sacha, If you have your heart dead set on running that engine,by all means do so. But,by the time you get that engine broke loose,bored,and rebuilt you could have saved Money,time, and aggrevation by finding you a good running 429/460. Then you can find lots os available accessories and mod parts for it. jmo and good luck w/the Rat rod Very Happy

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Re: sacha Empty 462 MEL

Post  blown473 March 25th 2012, 8:56 pm

The 462 has a unique block bell housing pattern the only trans that works is the factory C-6 made for them. People wanting to run stick trans have cut & welded 462 patterns to Lakewood steel type scatter shields. An easier trick is to use a 1958-1960 430 MEL block that has the FE bolt pattern, then your transmission choices are far better. Ross makes forged pistons by special order for this combo. EGGE makes complete rebuild kits for these engines, and sells individual parts. They make cast stock type pistons of good quality. Go on e-bay as well you will find all the MEL engine parts there.
blown473
blown473

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum