BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

block filler and boring recomendation

+8
DILLIGASDAVE
Lem Evans
cool40
IDT-572
richter69
BOSS 429
schmitty
HorsinAround
12 posters

Go down

block filler and boring recomendation Empty block filler and boring recomendation

Post  HorsinAround April 9th 2012, 8:49 pm

How much hard block does it take to do a half fill on a BBF? I purchased a 25lb pail of rokblock from Comp. products and it doesn't give a guide as to how much to mix up.

Also, is it safe to bore a D9 block .060 over?

thanks.
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

http://www.frontpagefab.com

Back to top Go down

block filler and boring recomendation Empty Re: block filler and boring recomendation

Post  schmitty April 9th 2012, 9:36 pm

More than likely the block will handle a .060 overbore without issue, but there are always exceptions, and a sonic test is the only way to be sure. Most shops don't charge much for a sonic check and it gives a certain peace of mind knowing how much wall thickness is there. I had a D9 block that had enough metal to go to a 4.5" bore. It is more luck than anything to find a production block that is capapble of that much bore. Make sure that whoever does the sonic check has some experience with checking Ford blocks. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

block filler and boring recomendation Empty Re: block filler and boring recomendation

Post  BOSS 429 April 9th 2012, 9:39 pm

HorsinAround wrote:How much hard block does it take to do a half fill on a BBF? I purchased a 25lb pail of rokblock from Comp. products and it doesn't give a guide as to how much to mix up.

Also, is it safe to bore a D9 block .060 over?

thanks.

if your only going .060 over dont fill it
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 April 9th 2012, 9:41 pm

I'm gonna fill my 40 over D9 block................... Very Happy
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 April 9th 2012, 9:43 pm

richter69 wrote:I'm gonna fill my 40 over D9 block................... Very Happy

ya, why?
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 April 9th 2012, 9:45 pm

because I got it and I can, and I don't need the room for the water so what the hell.................its just a backup grenade anyway...........
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 April 9th 2012, 9:46 pm

richter69 wrote:because I got it and I can, and I don't need the room for the water so what the hell.................its just a backup grenade anyway...........

ok
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 April 9th 2012, 10:02 pm

Always fill and let it cure before you bore, and hone.........

I'm with Boss I wouldn't't fill it at .060 over just extra weight, and hotter oil temps.......
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 April 9th 2012, 10:14 pm

i'm .080 over unfilled. Suspect
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 April 9th 2012, 10:22 pm

I need all the oil temp I can get................. Very Happy
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans April 9th 2012, 10:34 pm

richter69 wrote:I need all the oil temp I can get................. Very Happy

I suspect that is right.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans April 9th 2012, 10:39 pm

IDT-572 wrote:Always fill and let it cure before you bore, and hone.........

I'm with Boss I wouldn't't fill it at .060 over just extra weight, and hotter oil temps.......

A half fill vs. what the water in the block would weigh any way would not be much....I agree that at .060" over bore it may not be needed.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE April 9th 2012, 11:49 pm

Just for the added insurance it still might be worth using some block filler even if the bore is only .030/.060 over if a decent sized power adder is going to be used.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 April 10th 2012, 12:28 am

DILLIGASDAVE wrote: Just for the added insurance it still might be worth using some block filler even if the bore is only .030/.060 over if a decent sized power adder is going to be used.

I'd agree with that..... if your going to spray the snot out of it a half fill probably isn't a bad idea.

Typical drag engine won't have issues with oil temp.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans April 10th 2012, 12:59 am

To answer your specific question, I've never used the rokblock stuff from Comp. I have filled several blocks using the Hard-Bloc brand. I buy the tall pail which is a 28 lb. pail and has two 14 lb bags in it. (This is enough to do two half-filled blocks). Anyway using my scales, I divide the 14 lb. bag into two 7 lb. bags, and use 7 lbs. per side and this takes it to the bottom of the 429-460 water pump holes. Don't forget to drill and tap two new 1/4" NPT holes (one per bank) just above the Hard-Bloc's level for water drain holes come winter time.

Hope this helps,
Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround April 10th 2012, 9:30 am

Thanks for the reply's. I am going with the "I got the block filler, so why not" thought process, but yes there are plans in the future for some laughing gas. This build is a chance for me to learn different techniques and processes and have already imployed some of the oiling mods I have learned of on here.
I was inquiring at the local machine shop to see if they could sonic check the block and line hone and they cannot. He did indicate to me that it was not cheap to get either thing done.

Should the sonic check be done before putting any block filler in?
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

http://www.frontpagefab.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 April 10th 2012, 9:48 am

Yes you should sonic it befor filling it.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 April 10th 2012, 9:50 am

HorsinAround wrote:Thanks for the reply's. I am going with the "I got the block filler, so why not" thought process, but yes there are plans in the future for some laughing gas. This build is a chance for me to learn different techniques and processes and have already imployed some of the oiling mods I have learned of on here.
I was inquiring at the local machine shop to see if they could sonic check the block and line hone and they cannot. He did indicate to me that it was not cheap to get either thing done.

Should the sonic check be done before putting any block filler in?

If you have time to do it run it down to Owensboro, Mike Phillips, Phillip Oakley or Jet Boat Bob can all do what your wanting and are reasonably priced.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett April 10th 2012, 10:31 am

I'd sonic check it! I have a std bore c9 block sittinig in my garage right now that if it was bored just to .060 2 cylinders would be really thin as in less than .080 on the non thrust sides!
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane April 10th 2012, 3:32 pm

You may sonic check the engine block prior to filling it if the results of the sonic check will influence your decision as to whether or not you will add filler to the block. That being said, cylinder blocks may be sonic checked with or without block filler.

You never know what the wall thickesses of the passenger car blocks will be, but I've noticed that more often than not the the D9TE blocks are typcially thicker than the early blocks.

Paul
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down