BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

M84D oil p/u

3 posters

Go down

M84D oil p/u Empty M84D oil p/u

Post  gcj April 17th 2012, 6:57 pm

I recently bougth a CJ engine that I am in the process of rebuilding. With it came an oil pump but no pickup. The mounting flange on the pump is vertical. Ford SVO pumps have this flange at an angle ... like 45° I think.

The pump has no manufacturer stamping on it, but it has a part number or engineering ID # M84D ... sounds like Melling.

Where do I get the correct pickup to use with this pump in a front sump application like in a ´70 Torino or Cyclone?

G.

gcj

Back to top Go down

M84D oil p/u Empty Re: M84D oil p/u

Post  rmcomprandy April 17th 2012, 8:04 pm

gcj wrote:I recently bougth a CJ engine that I am in the process of rebuilding. With it came an oil pump but no pickup. The mounting flange on the pump is vertical. Ford SVO pumps have this flange at an angle ... like 45° I think.

The pump has no manufacturer stamping on it, but it has a part number or engineering ID # M84D ... sounds like Melling.

Where do I get the correct pickup to use with this pump in a front sump application like in a ´70 Torino or Cyclone?

G.

There isn't an OEM pick-up for that pump used with a front sump pan. Canton makes one to be used with that pump and a 8 1/2" deep front sump pan; #15-763.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 April 17th 2012, 10:15 pm

you have a truck / van pump

what you need is for the pump flangeto be at an angle w/2 bolt holes, thats a stock cj, scj,and boss 429 pump, yes there a stock pickup for it for a front sump, in fact call meling, or napa.

I also saw one on ebay last week

make dam sure it around 3/8 or so off the bottom of the pan when installed
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

M84D oil p/u Empty So, it´s a truck unit.

Post  gcj April 18th 2012, 5:32 am

I thought maybe it was for a rear sump application, but thanks for clearing this up. I will get a corrct CJ pump wsith the angled flange for this engine. No risks taken when doing this motor.

G

gcj

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy April 18th 2012, 11:28 am

gcj wrote:I thought maybe it was for a rear sump application, but thanks for clearing this up. I will get a corrct CJ pump wsith the angled flange for this engine. No risks taken when doing this motor.

G

As Rich said, be SURE to check the "pick-up to the bottom of the pan" clearance as CJ pans were about 1/4" deeper than a regular front sump pan.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

M84D oil p/u Empty Will do

Post  gcj April 18th 2012, 3:59 pm

Hi: I have the original CJ pan with the baffle and what not ... so assuming I get a std. pump for that application, I should not have any problems.

The last one I built, I bought a Milodon deep sump pan with a matching pickup ... same as before when I used a Canton pan and they supplied me with the matching pickup. No problems whatsoever.

Thanks again guys ...

Any pump recommendations for a mild street engine ... 429CID SCJ, flat tappet, std. pistons, Comp cams stick .... 238 - 244° @ .050 with ,660 / 680 lift. Will run this motor in a ´70 Cyclone.

G.

gcj

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum