BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

foot brake racing

+4
DILLIGASDAVE
Maxx Levell
quick 52
57custom
8 posters

Go down

foot brake racing Empty foot brake racing

Post  57custom April 26th 2012, 12:54 am

I foot brake my fairlane and it is hard to leave at anymore than around 2200 rpm. I have non power brakes and 11 inch single piston disc brakes on the front and 2 1/4 drums in the rear. A friend of mine says to put a dual caliper rear disc brake setup on the rear for more holding power. When foot braking I would love to be able to get 3000 rpm at launch. The stall on my converter is around 4500 I believe. It weighs 3510 with me in it and has run 10.20 at 133. But usually runs around high 10.20's to low 30's on each pass. Any opinions as to whether this will help? A single piston rear disc brake setup is well within my budget but right now the dual piston is kinda high for my expenses. Does the dual piston rear have that much more holding power?
57custom
57custom

Back to top Go down

foot brake racing Empty Re: foot brake racing

Post  quick 52 April 26th 2012, 7:33 am

do u have a proportioning valve that can be adjusted drum brake have a lot of holding surface u may need 2 up the pressure to the rear

quick 52

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxx Levell April 26th 2012, 8:55 am

57custom wrote:I foot brake my fairlane and it is hard to leave at anymore than around 2200 rpm. I have non power brakes and 11 inch single piston disc brakes on the front and 2 1/4 drums in the rear. A friend of mine says to put a dual caliper rear disc brake setup on the rear for more holding power. When foot braking I would love to be able to get 3000 rpm at launch. The stall on my converter is around 4500 I believe. It weighs 3510 with me in it and has run 10.20 at 133. But usually runs around high 10.20's to low 30's on each pass. Any opinions as to whether this will help? A single piston rear disc brake setup is well within my budget but right now the dual piston is kinda high for my expenses. Does the dual piston rear have that much more holding power?

Dang! That's scootin with that thing...
Maxx Levell
Maxx Levell

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE April 26th 2012, 10:58 pm

quick 52 wrote:.............drum brake have a lot of holding surface...................
Yea, years ago a number of the foot brake guys around here were saying that drum brakes held the best on the starting line. I guess it's because drum brakes large surface area was holding better "cold" vs the disk brakes smaller surface area when cold. But disk brakes will always work better stopping a car on the top end at speed because their smaller surface area heats up fast, and heat is what the disk pads semi-metallic material needs to work at it's best.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger April 27th 2012, 9:26 am

Have you tried not leaving on the converter? I have heard arguements both ways when footbraking. The way that worked best for me was to bring the rpm's up to ~1500 (basically a high idle) then the converter would flash higher and it actually improved my 60' times but then again my converter was too tight and if your converter is right for your combo this may not help. Just some food for thought.

PS Oops forgot to mention mine was a 4000rpm converter.
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird April 27th 2012, 8:38 pm

you ever thought about trying a line lock on all 4 corners? You could even hook a 2step up to your brakeswitch and still be legal. The 2step would make it much easier to get the rpm's up and it'll flash the convertor.Just a thought.
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 April 27th 2012, 8:54 pm

I foot brake also I have tried to pull up on the converter but my best 60' time is 1.42 leaving off idle mine idleing at 1000rpm I have a recall tach when I nail it the tach jumps to 4500rpm might be something you might try to see how your car like it.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

foot brake racing Empty Lots of good ideas

Post  57custom April 28th 2012, 5:07 pm

here so will have to try some of them when the season starts up here in Mn. Which is coming up shortly. Best 60 ft so far is after I put new QA1 front shocks on it was 1.43 now over the winter i have installed new QA1 's on the rear so will have to see if that helps it any. Thanks guys. I see a picture of a 55 t bird on one of the rsponders. Did you attend the first big block Shootout? I was there and had a very good time. The track owner was very accomadating. Very Happy
57custom
57custom

Back to top Go down

Post  CDMBill May 13th 2012, 2:01 am

I also foot brake my car and get better 60 ft's with the lower staged RPM, right at 2000 in my case. If you want beter rear brakes you might start with the new Baer SS4 brake which is four piston and holds really well at the starting line. The caliper bracket is set-up for dual calipers, so if you really want to in the future you could make that upgrade but you may need a different master cylinder due to the large difference in total piston volume. The dual caliper setup is usually used by guys who need to spool high power turbo combinations.

foot brake racing F80f01e5

CDMBill

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down