BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bad lifters?? Melling.

4 posters

Go down

Bad lifters?? Melling. Empty Bad lifters?? Melling.

Post  BBF4xFord May 1st 2012, 11:53 am

Recently a freshening of a 460 engine the owner chose to use Melling lifters on a used Elgin camshaft (real small chevy grind).
The engine fired and ran perfectly I ran in the first 30 min, no problem, good oil pressure, etc, sounded ok, dropped to an idle and the valve train was ticking.
Tracked it down to the #8-intake pre-load was perfect pulled the lifter (no visible cam wear/damage)and it just did not feel right on the bench so replaced it with a Seal Power. That problem solved we could now hear another lifter ticking...
I haven't seen a bad lifter in years, but I haven't used Stock Replacement Auto Parts Store parts in a long time, is this an issue with Melling?

Thanks for looking.
Chris

BBF4xFord

Back to top Go down

Bad lifters?? Melling. Empty Re: Bad lifters?? Melling.

Post  dfree383 May 1st 2012, 12:07 pm

There is only a couple of lifter manufactures in the USA
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BBF4xFord May 1st 2012, 12:21 pm

dfree383 wrote:There is only a couple of lifter manufactures in the USA

Fully understand that but figured that without a name it would be like saying my new lifter tics...
The first question would be what brand...

BBF4xFord

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy May 1st 2012, 5:42 pm

BBF4xFord wrote:Recently a freshening of a 460 engine the owner chose to use Melling lifters on a used Elgin camshaft (real small chevy grind).
The engine fired and ran perfectly I ran in the first 30 min, no problem, good oil pressure, etc, sounded ok, dropped to an idle and the valve train was ticking.
Tracked it down to the #8-intake pre-load was perfect pulled the lifter (no visible cam wear/damage)and it just did not feel right on the bench so replaced it with a Seal Power. That problem solved we could now hear another lifter ticking...
I haven't seen a bad lifter in years, but I haven't used Stock Replacement Auto Parts Store parts in a long time, is this an issue with Melling?

Thanks for looking.
Chris

Melling inexpensive OEM replacement lifter is probably from offshore somewhere.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cooter May 2nd 2012, 7:53 pm

according to my machinist, melling lifters are made by the same company that makes lifters for GM, he says they are great lifters

cooter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down