BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WILL A BIG SLICK SWAY LESS THAN A SMALL ONE ON THE BIG END?

+5
richter69
Northwest outlaw
Nevs
maverick
fastford600
9 posters

Go down

WILL A BIG SLICK SWAY LESS THAN A  SMALL ONE ON THE BIG END? Empty WILL A BIG SLICK SWAY LESS THAN A SMALL ONE ON THE BIG END?

Post  fastford600 September 24th 2009, 8:52 pm

MY CAR HOOKS HARD AT ANY TRACK BUT AT SORRY TRACKS IT WILL SWAY ON THE BIG END IF IT IS ON THE SPRAY
I HAD 29.5X10.0 ON A 10" RIM AND IT DID FINE ON MOTOR BUT GOT WILD ON THE GAS
THAT WAS WITH A 521 VICTOR JR . HEADED MOTOR { LOOK AT THE VIEDO} ON MY LAST TOPIC{HOW TO GET THE WHEELS OUT THE AIR}
I AM WANTING TO PUT 32X16 ON A 15" WIDE RIM ON MY CAR TO STOP THIS.
I DONT THINK THAT MY NEW MOTOR{A460 600" } WILL HOOK AT SOME OF THESE SORRY TRACKS DOWN HERE ON A 10" TIRE.
WILL THIS BIGGER TIRE BE SLOWER THAN THE 10" TIRE IF IT WOULD HOOK?
I ALL READY HAVE BIG TUBS IN MY CAR THAT WILL HOLD THE BIG TIRE
TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK!
fastford600
fastford600

Back to top Go down

WILL A BIG SLICK SWAY LESS THAN A  SMALL ONE ON THE BIG END? Empty Re: WILL A BIG SLICK SWAY LESS THAN A SMALL ONE ON THE BIG END?

Post  maverick September 25th 2009, 8:18 am

"Swaying" at the big end? My stuff did that to me and it was actually a little bit of wheelspin. On the last 100' feet of track, I was busy keeping the rear end behind me. That was with a 16" wide Goodyear slick. Have you toyed with air pressure changes?
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

WILL A BIG SLICK SWAY LESS THAN A  SMALL ONE ON THE BIG END? Empty Re: WILL A BIG SLICK SWAY LESS THAN A SMALL ONE ON THE BIG END?

Post  Nevs September 25th 2009, 8:39 am

maverick wrote:"Swaying" at the big end? My stuff did that to me and it was actually a little bit of wheelspin. On the last 100' feet of track, I was busy keeping the rear end behind me. That was with a 16" wide Goodyear slick. Have you toyed with air pressure changes?

That's a good question, how much air pressure are you presently running? A half a pound one way or the other can make a huge difference in handling. Having said that, I'm a believer in running as big a tire as you can. Unless you are limited by the rules to a 10.5" tire, I'd go bigger. I'm sure there are plenty of guys on here who would disagree with me, however... Laughing Laughing Laughing Wink
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Northwest outlaw September 25th 2009, 11:34 am

Are we talking about the car in your av.... what the tire psi are you running a 10.5 class? are you mini tubbed
Northwest outlaw
Northwest outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 25th 2009, 12:46 pm

is the 10.5 a stiffwall? how wide is the rim?

If both tires hook the same the bigger tire will be somewhat slower due to the weight and the friction loss, how much slower depends on a lot of variables but i wouldn't think it a lot. The bigger tires are usually run at a lower pressure and if the walls are soft could be even worse.

If the floating is from wheelspin the big tire should cure it.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE September 27th 2009, 5:41 am

If it's actually spinning the tires on the top end, have you tried cranking in more rear deck wing angle. Or maybe the deck wing is too small. Are the rear shocks double adjustable (both extension & compression valving)? If so maybe the compression (bump) is set too tight & it's skipping loose on the top end.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  fastford600 September 27th 2009, 1:54 pm

ok i will anserw some of the ?'s
my car is full back halfed
i can fit a 34.5x18 under it but that is the max !
yes we are still talking about the same car in my vids and on my profile
i dont run any class just bracket or people that have a big mouth and some spare cash!
the car does have a wing ! cant drive it with out it !
and for the air if i run 11 psi the car does not sway ,it will spin on the big end
both vids are on 11 psi on a 29.5x10 on a 10" rim 7.5 back space
10 psi the car will stay on the bars for about 125' to 150' then when it gets to the 450'-500' mark the sway starts!
we tried to play with the pitch on the rear end but the more angle the higher the the wheels got in the air!
the less angle the car would leave and hit the bars and unload the wheels
99% of my 60' are on the back wheels at 1.24
i have never had a good 60' on the front wheels
fastford600
fastford600

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 28th 2009, 6:31 pm

Sonds like the sway is from wheelspin, I'd put the big tire on it.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  westsideford September 29th 2009, 1:36 am

not an answer just imput..

I run my tires at 10 psi (28 9.0 15) once. That was the most dog wagging frigging wild time I ever had. I really didn't like it but feared to lift the throttle.

Maybe try two different tire pressure gauges.. Your's might be incorrect?
westsideford
westsideford

Back to top Go down

Post  Treeyasoon September 29th 2009, 9:35 pm

Considering how that car appears to be hookin'....
I would raise the pressure up to about 15 or so and see how it acted.
That doesn't cost much to try....
The car in this pic is running 20 psi in a slightly larger tire....20 psi.
WILL A BIG SLICK SWAY LESS THAN A  SMALL ONE ON THE BIG END? Wheelie
Treeyasoon
Treeyasoon

Back to top Go down

Post  kim September 30th 2009, 8:48 pm

Really depends on whats causing the butt wiggle, but it sounds like the agreement is your simply overpowering the slicks.... they are spinning, and you are slidding. More rear wing will load the rear more, might be all it takes. More air pressure, not going to help if the tires are spinning.

A common feeling is simply the slick footprint taking a set, and the the weak sidewalls and low pressure allow the tire to push the car around a bit. Not an uncommon feeling for people running slicks the first time(s). Tire pressure will help reduce the wiggle a bit, but so long as the driver looks at the end of the track, and steers a straight line, that twitch of a slick footprint wont spin the car around. Unless someone tries to compensate for it.

Video is best friend, it tells no lies... Our seat of pants tells us the rear is moveing, but why???

kim

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down