BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

65 mustang

+4
scottke
BigDave65
Barney
dr's wife racing
8 posters

Go down

65 mustang Empty 65 mustang

Post  dr's wife racing June 8th 2012, 10:17 am

Finally got the tube chassis car to the strip for some run time.It is the tube car I bought a while back,did some up dates on put in scottke's motor.Only made a couple of half way pass's .Motor ran good which was a relief,a rocker arm trunion broke and put needle bearings all over the place before I got it out of the shop.It ran 6.51 at 108 mph on a half way foot brake pass but went into violent front end shake when I lifted, when I say violent it was a under statement.Glad I shut it off a little early.I could find no visable problems.soI went back out to test transbrake and delay box it worked good picked up over a tenth in 60 foot maybe ran 80 feet as soon as I lifted right back in to front end shake.It has home made capri struts I'm thinking it's time to buy aftermarket struts and avisit to the chassis shop. Anybody have any other suggestions ?
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

65 mustang Empty Re: 65 mustang

Post  Barney June 8th 2012, 10:20 am

Tire balance maybe? Just guessing though.
Barney
Barney

http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDave65 June 8th 2012, 10:26 am

I don't believe it could entirely be the fault of the struts. Those style struts have been used on a bunch of fast race cars through the years with no problems, even when they were worn out. Could be an alignment/geometry/bumpsteer problem.
BigDave65
BigDave65

Back to top Go down

Post  dr's wife racing June 8th 2012, 11:09 am

Barney it shouldn't be the tire's wheel's.They are the ones off my fox body.Before I changed to Bogart's on it.Maybe I should take and have the front end lined before I do any thing else.I'm not too faint of heart when it come's to driveing a car but tire wobble a 108 mph will get your attention.
I guess I have to agree with you the car ran fine last with trap speeds @ 100 mph.Last pass it went into shake at 50 mph ? or less.
One interesting note that has noting to do with this but I found out it is a early 64 1/2 not a 65,or so I am told.Something about door panels,dash and absence of side trim. ??? Never been into that suff but the guy that sprayed it is a old mustang buff.
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  scottke June 8th 2012, 11:00 pm

Glad to hear motor did well. Twisted Evil
scottke
scottke

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE June 9th 2012, 1:00 am

The problem could be most anything that has already mentioned (tire balance, alignment, geometry, bumpsteer). And it could also possibly be badly warped brake rotors, or a badly worn out rack & pinion with a bunch of slop.

Years ago I worked on a very old full chassis car that had the ancient original design Strange struts (round aluminum strut body instead of the newer cast aluminum body). It's internal strut cartridges were completely dead & worn out. You could grab the tires & shake/wobble the whole assembly around because the internal bushings & piston were so far gone. But the car didn't only exhibit just a "shake" or "wobble", it also drifted around during the pass & braking because the toe-in kept changing from all the strut slop. Might not be the problem, but it is something else you might as well check out.

Got any pics of how the current setup sits in the car?
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  dr's wife racing June 10th 2012, 10:07 pm

Not the brakes it starts before you touch the brakes .I'll get son photos of the chassis and post later. Thanks
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  mtacqua June 11th 2012, 9:06 am

I bought one of the alignment tools from summit. Then two 9 foot sections of conduit put equal length string through them to make parallel lines, and alignment was easy. I was surprised how simple it was. I have stock style suspension on my 66 coupe (TCP UCAs make it much easier), and I can align it in less than an hour. When I am tweaking it, it takes longer to set the strings up.
mtacqua
mtacqua

Back to top Go down

Post  David Willingham June 11th 2012, 11:06 am

Sounds like toe-in/bumpsteer and/or something loose. I am worried about my truck's bumpsteer. I can't get it all out. I'm going to try again when I get back from vacation. I sure hope you find the problem and get it fixed.
David Willingham
David Willingham
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dr's wife racing June 11th 2012, 1:21 pm

Don't seem to be anything worn or sloppy.One of the local racers is a frontend guy and is going to look at it this wk.
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 June 11th 2012, 6:04 pm

dr's wife racing wrote:Don't seem to be anything worn or sloppy.One of the local racers is a frontend guy and is going to look at it this wk.

Caster Question
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dr's wife racing June 12th 2012, 9:57 pm

We found the rack was moving in the mount.It has a pinto rack.We welded tabs to stablize it.I'll have it lined and go from there I'll post any progress.Thanks for your help.
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  mtacqua June 13th 2012, 4:33 am

makes sense, when you loaded up the front end the loose parts moved.
mtacqua
mtacqua

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE June 17th 2012, 5:20 am

David Willingham wrote:Sounds like toe-in/bumpsteer and/or something loose. I am worried about my truck's bumpsteer. I can't get it all out. I'm going to try again when I get back from vacation. I sure hope you find the problem and get it fixed.
David, what is the truck's current bump-steer profile looking like & how much total toe change is there (each side) throughout the total suspension travel?

For example, if each side (on it's own) showed a total travel (full compression to full extension) toe change of say something like .050" (or less) each side, while at the same time showed a bump-steer profile/curve that stayed mostly on the toe-in side of the scale, that really wouldn't be too bad. Especially since the Strange strut's don't have a bunch of total travel.

And even if the total toe change is more than .050" (each side) it might not be as much of a problem as long as the profile/curve stays mostly on the toe-in side of the scale. It will of course increase tire wear/scrub as the toe change increases, but if it's staying on the toe-in side of the scale it will at least still try to drive straighter.

However if any part of the profile/curve does move/sweep out to (or stay) mostly on the toe-out side of the scale throughout most of the total travel, then that can be a problem and can increase the chance the truck will "guardrail hunt".
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down