BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Break in oil additive

+3
kjett
dfree383
wvmudder
7 posters

Go down

Break in oil additive Empty Break in oil additive

Post  wvmudder June 27th 2012, 7:00 am

Hopefully I will be breaking in my 466 this weekend, will this oil additive added to regular 10-30 pennzoil work for new engine break in? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-94000/ Its a hydraulic cam, little bigger than stock.

BTW, I used isky rev lube on the cam and lifters because someone on here recommended it, it stuck to the cam and lifters a lot better than the red assembly lube that came with the comp cams kit. I forget who recommended the rev lube but it looks like good stuff.

Also, since its just break in, would it hurt anything to add an additional qt of oil to make sure there is plenty of oil being splashed on the cam?

Thanks,
Dave S.

wvmudder
wvmudder

Back to top Go down

Break in oil additive Empty Re: Break in oil additive

Post  dfree383 June 27th 2012, 7:07 am

I've Always used GM EOS (Engine Oil Suppliment)
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett June 27th 2012, 9:26 am

I've been a fan of the Comp cam break in additive.
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy June 27th 2012, 9:51 am

wvmudder wrote:Hopefully I will be breaking in my 466 this weekend, will this oil additive added to regular 10-30 pennzoil work for new engine break in? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-94000/ Its a hydraulic cam, little bigger than stock.

BTW, I used isky rev lube on the cam and lifters because someone on here recommended it, it stuck to the cam and lifters a lot better than the red assembly lube that came with the comp cams kit. I forget who recommended the rev lube but it looks like good stuff.

Also, since its just break in, would it hurt anything to add an additional qt of oil to make sure there is plenty of oil being splashed on the cam?

Thanks,
Dave S.

There are several brands of additive which are slightly different but, all will add what is needed for "break-in" as long as the concentration is by the directions.
On the ISKY lube ... it works great however, it tends to clog oil filter media after a while so be sure and change the filter right after "break-in".

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon June 27th 2012, 1:30 pm

[quote="wvmudder"]Hopefully I will be breaking in my 466 this weekend, will this oil additive added to regular 10-30 pennzoil work for new engine break in? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-94000/ Its a hydraulic cam, little bigger than stock.

. Thanks,
Dave S.

Someone ask the Question at the tech seminar to Lake Speed jr. and his comment WAS,if your oil needs a supplement you are using the wrong oil to start with.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  wvmudder June 28th 2012, 4:28 am

rmcomprandy wrote:
wvmudder wrote:Hopefully I will be breaking in my 466 this weekend, will this oil additive added to regular 10-30 pennzoil work for new engine break in? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-94000/ Its a hydraulic cam, little bigger than stock.

Thanks,
Dave S.

There are several brands of additive which are slightly different but, all will add what is needed for "break-in" as long as the concentration is by the directions.
On the ISKY lube ... it works great however, it tends to clog oil filter media after a while so be sure and change the filter right after "break-in".

The oil will be changed immediately following break in.

Thanks guys, I will post up how it goes IF I get it broken in this weekend. This good weather has us busy in the hay fields.

Dave S.
wvmudder
wvmudder

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy June 28th 2012, 11:43 am

wvmudder wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:

Thanks,
Dave S.

The oil will be changed immediately following break in.

Thanks guys, I will post up how it goes IF I get it broken in this weekend. This good weather has us busy in the hay fields.

Dave S.

If it is a flat tappet engine, be sure that the new oil used has enough of what is needed for the flat lifters to survive.
MANY oils do have enough but, many others don't; therefore need to be supplemented.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Break in oil additive Empty Break in oil supplement

Post  82fairmont July 5th 2012, 9:38 pm

I use Brad Penn Break In oil. Have had no problems.
82fairmont
82fairmont

Back to top Go down

Post  wvmudder July 5th 2012, 10:08 pm

The engine is still setting on the garage floor. damn storms that rolled through this past friday has been keeping me way too busy and without power, etc.
wvmudder
wvmudder

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon July 5th 2012, 10:11 pm

wvmudder wrote:The engine is still setting on the garage floor. damn storms that rolled through this past friday has been keeping me way too busy and without power, etc.

Had the same storm here,it was a real pia. 80mph winds did alot of damage around here, Rolling Eyes

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  wvmudder August 18th 2012, 7:30 am

Well after such a long delay, I think I think its finally broken in. Though I am very concerned, I had to shut it off 2X and pull it out to chase oil leaks. The 1st time we thought it was the back of the oil pan. We thought it was the rear main the 2nd time. It came out of the truck I spun the oil pump with a drill to see if we could see where the rear main was leaking. Turned out to be both rear oil galley plugs. The shop that did my block work for me didn't use any tape or sealer on them, then I unknowingly painted over them. When the oil pump was being spun it spewed out of a couple little pin holes not visible in the paint until the oil was pushing out.

I made sure it didn't idle, when it was running I kept it at 2500 for 20 minutes. I am going to change the oil and filter today and put the tires and wheels back on it to see how it runs up and down the driveway.

I have the last of the PTO parts on the way for the rear mounted winch, next weekend its going in the mud provided the cam doesn't start losing lobes from shutting it down 2x during the break in.

Dave S.
wvmudder
wvmudder

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave August 19th 2012, 2:14 pm

All replies have offered good advise. I didn't notice any mention of valve spring pressure. That should be your "guiding light" as to break-in and operation. I don't necessarily agree with the use of expensive oils in a everyday street driven application such as the one you mention. I do however, believe in an oil with viscosity ratings that agree with bearing clearances. If valve spring pressures are above 100 PSI, you may offer a bit of security as to camshaft and/or lifter wear, if you add an additive directed at protecting the valve train components with each oil change.

As to your choice of "driving up and down the driveway", I'd rather you drive it on the highway for several miles at highway speed, than idle it "up and down the driveway".

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down