BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jon, Question on 6.0

2 posters

Go down

Jon, Question on 6.0 Empty Jon, Question on 6.0

Post  AZFairlane August 13th 2012, 11:50 am

What all needs to be done to an '05 6.0 to make it reliable, and an approximate cost. My son is thinking of getting an Excursion and I want to be able to tell him up front what he will have to spend on it.
AZFairlane
AZFairlane
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Jon, Question on 6.0 Empty Re: Jon, Question on 6.0

Post  richter69 August 13th 2012, 12:51 pm

if a shop does it, figure about 5-6k depending on the shape its in. Motor needs to come out and sit in the floor, headgaskets (dont need to waste money on studs IMO), both rail plugs and standpipes, egr delete kit, if its an 03 it needs a high press pump, j tube, icp sensor and ipr.............04 and up it needs a STC fitting kit....... new oil cooler heat exchanger. re oring the injs, if it has a lot of miles id consider replacing them. flush cooling system, fuel filters. Maybe a ficm halfshell, split the turbo open and make sure its not rusted up....if it is replace the center housing.

its a lot of stuff, but this is why they are a pile lol. after your done with it you will have a good reliable rig, much better than a 6.4...................and alot cheaper than a 6.7

if you do the delete you'll need to get a SCT tuner to deal with the cel, plus you'll get some power and fuel economy...............get rid of the cat converter if you can.we dont have emissions or state inspections so I'd check into that first.

reminds me I need to go bump your lift thread on the bullet.............. Wink
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  AZFairlane August 13th 2012, 12:59 pm

Thanks Jon, I appreciate the info, and the bump.
AZFairlane
AZFairlane
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down