BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any pros /con ford v10 ?? looking at one priced seems good details inside

+8
Diggindeeper
Doug Rahn
bbf-falcon
dr's wife racing
dfree383
Race Ready Fabrications
Barney
5pointslow
12 posters

Go down

Any pros /con ford v10 ?? looking at one priced seems good details inside Empty Any pros /con ford v10 ?? looking at one priced seems good details inside

Post  5pointslow August 14th 2012, 12:37 pm

looking at a v10 f350 dually 2wd 130k on it for 4500k b/o its a 2000

would be used just for towing my 28 ft enclosed trailer ... furthest it ever go is 500 miles round trip .

I just cant touch any diesel 2wd duallys for under 10 k thats good around new england and everythings 4x4

i dont need 4 wheel drive

My father owns a repair shop and told me he has not worked on a ford v10 , none of his customers own one , im under the impresssion its a 5.4 basicly with 2 more cylinders ?

any input id be thankful for
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Any pros /con ford v10 ?? looking at one priced seems good details inside Empty Re: Any pros /con ford v10 ?? looking at one priced seems good details inside

Post  Barney August 14th 2012, 12:46 pm

They like gas and spitting spark plugs out, other than that they're pretty good. Do timeserts in it, and don't expect more than 8-9 mpg towing, and around 11 empty.
Barney
Barney

http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Any pros /con ford v10 ?? looking at one priced seems good details inside Empty Re: Any pros /con ford v10 ?? looking at one priced seems good details inside

Post  Race Ready Fabrications August 14th 2012, 12:52 pm

My DD is an 01 F250 V10. Ive owned it 6 years and haven't had any major engine troubles with it ever. I've replaced the IAC valve and fixed an exhaust leak at the manifold. Plenty of power to pull your trailer anywhere you wanna go. Gas mileage kinda blows but oh well.
Race Ready Fabrications
Race Ready Fabrications

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow August 14th 2012, 1:14 pm

i figuare loaded and towing your not gonna get great gas mileage fig around 6-8 mpg vs most diesels are getting prob 10-12 ish towing i was told so for the extra money of the diesel and price of diesel it might be fine going with the gas job
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 August 14th 2012, 1:48 pm

I had a 2001 f250 with one I bought new, ran great, just sucked on fuel.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dr's wife racing August 14th 2012, 3:33 pm

I have a 99 f350 4x4 super crew owned since 04 fuel milage is about 8 to 9 towing has been as high as 12.8 empty.It has been worked as a racecar hauler and a farm truck.It has 222225 thous. miles on it and still runs good.I think describing it a v 8 with 2 more cyls is good.They have the same issues as a v 8 plugs on some models as Barney mentioned the occasional coil pack.The one I have has been solid over all. They are cheaper to service. Best bang for the buck on mine was a k&n cold air intake and a flowmaster big block series muffler. Didn't help the gas milage much but did make a noticeable pickup in power. Good luck.
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon August 14th 2012, 6:03 pm

From what i've heard they are good engine. Very smooth running also. Cheapass exh manifold bolts in the heads just like the 4.6/5.4 though.sounds like a good deal,just give it a gone over. Wink

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn August 14th 2012, 6:13 pm

My personal experience with a V-10 was great. I used a friends Excursion to take my car to the Bash III and I was impressed with the towing capabilities. On the Interstate we were running 70-75 mph and average 11 mpg the trip up to Owensboro and back to Savannah. I just missed out on a deal Sad for a 2003 Eddie Bauer edition that was loaded and the previous owner took excellent care of it.
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081

Back to top Go down

Post  Diggindeeper August 14th 2012, 8:13 pm

I've driven a couple. One was a 99 (2v) that did blow a couple plugs out but was driven hard, very hard most of its life, still is on the road with over 400,000kms on it. power was ok. Nothing to write home about.
Second was an 05 (3v) never had any issues, and as far as I know still on the road. Power was definitely way better on the 05. I was impressed. I have no idea on fuel economy on either as I wasn't paying the bill. I wouldnt hesitate to buy one.
Diggindeeper
Diggindeeper

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow August 15th 2012, 12:41 pm

thanks guys ... i will keep this in mind

i have looked at a clean oldr 95 chevy 2wd 454 tbi .....father told me the tbi setup is simple but down on power 88-95 , were a lot better with the vortec in 96 power wise ...fuel mileage is what it is with a gas job .

the only diesel in my price reange maybe a used 12v cummins mid 90s ect ... dont wanna spend over 5k if i dont have to . It wouldnt be my daily driver

i hear just that its nice with the diesel towing a big trailer you can leave it in overdrive with the cruise control on ....sounds nice but

the cost of a diesel and the fuel vs prob making 7-8 500 mile round trip to englishtown nj from ma cost wise vs the gas job ...is were im at right now it is what it is Neutral
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty August 15th 2012, 1:39 pm

If you figure in the added expense of a diesel vs. gas, extra cost for the fuel, and initial purchase, you are way further ahead with that rig. I have talked to more than a few people who were pleasantly surprised with the power and economy of the Ford V10. Cool The first Excursion I ever drove was my moms and we took it on a few trips and it would do 14-15mpg all day long doing 80 down the interstate and some 65-70mph stuff on two lanes. My diesel Excursion would only do like 16-18mpg and cost about 10k more.
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 August 15th 2012, 2:41 pm

A good friend of mine has a 200o v10 and put a cold air kit on it and a chip with a diesel 4 inch exhaust.

It picked his mileage up and the power went way up. He pulls a 10,000 lb super farm tractor and pulls a dual tandem axle trailer. It will pull right with the diesel rigs he runs with.

Been a good truck, no problems.

Last edited by IDT-572 on August 15th 2012, 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 August 15th 2012, 3:49 pm

schmitty wrote:If you figure in the added expense of a diesel vs. gas, extra cost for the fuel, and initial purchase, you are way further ahead with that rig. I have talked to more than a few people who were pleasantly surprised with the power and economy of the Ford V10. Cool The first Excursion I ever drove was my moms and we took it on a few trips and it would do 14-15mpg all day long doing 80 down the interstate and some 65-70mph stuff on two lanes. My diesel Excursion would only do like 16-18mpg and cost about 10k more.

Same here, My bother had one of the first V10s that came out in a 350 van, it would get 15-17 running 75-80 and about 14 around town.
But the latter ones wont do it.

PS: about 3mths after he got it, He got a recall from Ford that said to bring it because they had to reprogram the the computer to rich in it up, He told them to stick it.

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick532 August 19th 2012, 6:54 pm

got one in a 29ft class c motorhome likes gas but it pulls like crazy , pull a 24ft enclosed with it . haven't had any issues with it .

maverick532

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down