BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coil over question

+2
cool40
Mike R
6 posters

Go down

Coil over question Empty Coil over question

Post  Mike R August 29th 2012, 9:15 pm

I'm seriously thinking about putting coil overs under my Fairmont wagon. What length shocks and what stroke do I want and what should the spring rate be?

Mike R

Back to top Go down

Coil over question Empty Re: Coil over question

Post  cool40 August 29th 2012, 10:27 pm

the spring rate,length,and stroke all depend on the weight and use of the car.i use 5" stroke strange dbl adj's with 130#spring. if your gona do it be sure and get a good dbl adj shock,you'll be happy you did. Smile
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  yellowhorse7 August 30th 2012, 7:47 pm

cool40 wrote: if your gona do it be sure and get a good dbl adj shock,you'll be happy you did. Smile

Just be ready for a long learning curve, unless of course you have them huge cheater tires Wink
yellowhorse7
yellowhorse7

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick August 30th 2012, 8:21 pm

Wish I had a Fairmont wagon. It could be a friggin' Xerox machine in the brackets. Cool
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 August 30th 2012, 10:47 pm

yellowhorse7 wrote:
cool40 wrote: if your gona do it be sure and get a good dbl adj shock,you'll be happy you did. Smile

Just be ready for a long learning curve, unless of course you have them huge cheater tires Wink
what kinda shock would you use for the baby tires? jocolor
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger August 30th 2012, 11:06 pm

cool40 wrote:the spring rate,length,and stroke all depend on the weight and use of the car.i use 5" stroke strange dbl adj's with 130#spring. if your gona do it be sure and get a good dbl adj shock,you'll be happy you did. Smile

Not to hijack but being as someone already brought it up how would one determine the best stroke for a combination?

Example my truck can only have 3 inchs of suspension compression before it will hit the bump stops but I get 1-2" inchs of body seperation so does that mean a 5 inch stroke would work best?

yellowhorse7 wrote:

Long??? Just got my suspension working decent should I leave the single adjustable??? Got some tuning tips?
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  yellowhorse7 August 31st 2012, 6:55 pm

Of course a DA is better than a SA....

All I'm saying is that it takes a bit of a learning curve to get the DA's figured out, at least for us small-tired guys.
yellowhorse7
yellowhorse7

Back to top Go down

Post  yellowhorse7 August 31st 2012, 6:57 pm

bigblok2000ranger wrote:
cool40 wrote:the spring rate,length,and stroke all depend on the weight and use of the car.i use 5" stroke strange dbl adj's with 130#spring. if your gona do it be sure and get a good dbl adj shock,you'll be happy you did. Smile

Not to hijack but being as someone already brought it up how would one determine the best stroke for a combination?

Example my truck can only have 3 inchs of suspension compression before it will hit the bump stops but I get 1-2" inchs of body seperation so does that mean a 5 inch stroke would work best?

yellowhorse7 wrote:

Long??? Just got my suspension working decent should I leave the single adjustable??? Got some tuning tips?

Yep....full loose in the front isn't optimal
yellowhorse7
yellowhorse7

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 August 31st 2012, 9:01 pm

yellowhorse7 wrote:Of course a DA is better than a SA....

All I'm saying is that it takes a bit of a learning curve to get the DA's figured out, at least for us small-tired guys.
its kinda like having a 4-link,all that adjustment but only one spot is "best". Smile
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger August 31st 2012, 9:54 pm

LOL, Well I have s/a with ladder bars and leafsprings with housing floaters and 90/10 up front. 9 ways from Calvert set in the #5 haven't got to the point of working on adjusting them yet in the rear. It will be getting d/a with coil-overs probably over the winter mainly in the interest of losing weight (with the added adjustability as a bonus).

P.S. Hey Tony looks like the little tires are gonna work Wink
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround October 30th 2012, 1:17 pm

With Coil overs on the front, do you use the OE spring rate as a starting point to determine what spring to get? I'm in this boat now. Trying to decide if I should get lowering springs or just go to coil overs and move on. My application is an F150 with a BBF.. Oe spring rate is 337 with a load rating of 1258.
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

http://www.frontpagefab.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down