BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

a touch over stock

4 posters

Go down

a touch over stock Empty a touch over stock

Post  Travis460 September 4th 2012, 6:54 pm

Im setting up a bracket car. Fox mustang. Notch back gutted, cage, subframes......on and on o baught it as a roller. Car has 3.73 gears already. I have a c6 and 3500 converter. I want to run around 7.50 to 7.90's in the 1/8. I am starting out with a stock short block freshened up, double roller timing chain. No cam as of yet. Kind of need a recomendation on a cam. I can get my hands on c9 heads. Would like to utilize stock rocker arms a valve spring diameter and basically stock heads. Im lookin at about 9.5:1 compression. I wont be running any accessories water pump will be ran by moroso electric drive. I have a wieand stealth intake and 750 proform carb. I am open to a differant converter cam recomendation.

Thanks in advance for help

Travis.

Travis460

Back to top Go down

a touch over stock Empty Re: a touch over stock

Post  dfree383 September 4th 2012, 11:06 pm

Compcams Extreme Energy or the Lunati Voodoo series are popular shelf grinds, but both series should springs and retainer upgrades with all but the very very mildest cams. The very mild one aren't going to get you where you need to be to get in the 11's.

I'd rethink the totally "stock" on the heads and upgrade to some good ss valves, a appropriate valve job and components matching the cam. I'd also consider coverting to an adjustable valve train and roller rockers.

And do some blending in the bowls and minor porting.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 September 5th 2012, 5:13 am

my truck with a stock short 89model d9 with dove head which is the same as your c9s i had the comp ex274h hydr cam 1.73 roller rocker , with a victor intake ,850 dp holley ran 7.27 in the 1/8.I port the exhaust on my heads and bowl work on intake and exhaust cut the valve guides down to clear for the lift on the cam it had .565 lift and cut my spring pockets to match the springs for the cam to get the in spec.I bought the comp cam cutters to do the work on my valve guide and spring pockets both cutters and polit was like $165 all together but I think they cost alittle more now.I turned it 6000 rpm with this setup never a problem and it ran on 93 pump gas.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

a touch over stock Empty my comet

Post  manofmerc September 5th 2012, 5:46 am

Travis my 3400 comet runs 7.11 on a hot humid day .look over the proven builds section for 67 comet .My car ran 7.40 -7.50 and wasnt really consistent .I replaced my 10" tci convertor with an 8" ATI .my comet is consistent now .The first time I had it at the brackets it ran these .7.143 7.144 7.149 .What I am saying is get you a good convertor .And a solid lifter camshaft with the correct springs pushrods etc.You dont have to spend a fortune but whenever you purchase internal engine and trans parts if you have to save up and buy good quality .Lunati has a good selection of solid lifter cams. With that low a compresion you dont want a lot of intake duration .Talk to a camshaft tech.A good oil pan is an investment and so are aftermarket rods .And your stock heads will need porting and valves .If you have dove heads and flat top pistons you will have over 11.1 compression .Are your pistons dished ? Good luck and feel free to ask more questions Question Doug

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down