BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not exactly the finish I was hoping for at Indy-Broke the Crank Not a rod. Pics added.

+12
Treeyasoon
ultimatelenny
cool40
72mav
the Coug
56Tbird
dfree383
c.evans
richter69
'65 T-BOLT
69F100
512Fairlane
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Not exactly the finish I was hoping for at Indy-Broke the Crank Not a rod.  Pics added. - Page 2 Empty Re: Not exactly the finish I was hoping for at Indy-Broke the Crank Not a rod. Pics added.

Post  jcoxracing September 23rd 2012, 12:12 am

Dang Mike, Sorry to hear that!!! If you need any help tearing it apart I could be an extra set of hands.
Justin
jcoxracing
jcoxracing

Back to top Go down

Not exactly the finish I was hoping for at Indy-Broke the Crank Not a rod.  Pics added. - Page 2 Empty Re: Not exactly the finish I was hoping for at Indy-Broke the Crank Not a rod. Pics added.

Post  512Fairlane September 29th 2012, 10:34 pm

Couldn't wait any longer so I took the pan off to investigate. I've always said that my weakest link in the motor was the Eagle cast steel crank. I was right. They say 700 hp limit they mean it. After 187 runs the rear most rod journal broke. Rods and pistons all still attached. The block doesn't look too bad from what I can see but I'll need to get it out to check it out fully. Here are some pics.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/512fairlane/sets/72157631654646605/
512Fairlane
512Fairlane

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 September 30th 2012, 10:03 am

affraid

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Wes Littrell September 30th 2012, 10:17 am

Mike Sorry to hear ,but it looks like you got as lucky as you could considering.Wes
Wes Littrell
Wes Littrell

Back to top Go down

Not exactly the finish I was hoping for at Indy-Broke the Crank Not a rod.  Pics added. - Page 2 Empty engine

Post  blown473 October 4th 2012, 7:18 pm

The Canton girdle held it together ! It's Thursday, that should generate some summer heat.... Seriously, I'm in the same boat as you, pushing the limits of a cast crank application.... I would say it's time for a forged crank, drag racing is pretty hard on cranks. Hope most of your parts are salvageable...
blown473
blown473

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird October 5th 2012, 10:24 am

I broke a Eagle 4.14 in my 514. I went back with a Scat 4.15 cast and ran it for years.If your over 4.15 I wouldn't even think about a cast crank.The money for a forged is good money spent anyway you go. I'd be checking that block over with a fine toothed comb,even if it looks ok.It had to take some real hard vibration! Good luck with it!!Never seen one break like that without ripping the mains out it.
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jcoxracing October 5th 2012, 8:26 pm

We have a couple spare 460 blocks if you are in need of one.
Justin
jcoxracing
jcoxracing

Back to top Go down

Post  512Fairlane October 7th 2012, 12:27 am

Thanks guys. Pulled the rods and pistons out tonight. 4 of them took a pretty good beating. There are a few nicks in the cylinders and the girdle is actually bent slightly between the last two mains. That can't be good. I'm not sure the nicks in the cylinders will clean up with just a hone and since the block is .080" over I guess I won't reuse it. I've got another Dove block that was .030" over with hypereutectics so it might hone and be just right for forged pistons. I'm thinking that I won't worry about filling this block or installing a girdle (although I think the windage tray and girdle helped slow down some scrap pieces). I'm definitely going forged crank this time around. They weren't as readily available when I started collecting parts for this thing.
512Fairlane
512Fairlane

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 October 7th 2012, 12:42 am

my block was .080,not filled,and 2 bolt also.never any problems other than a little cap walk.i think a good crank and rods is money well spent.sorry for your bad luck Crying or Very sad
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2