BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

need suggestions on a mild 460 build for a street/strip Maverick

+3
maverick
501ranger
4thHorseman
7 posters

Go down

need suggestions on a mild 460 build for a street/strip Maverick Empty need suggestions on a mild 460 build for a street/strip Maverick

Post  4thHorseman October 6th 2009, 1:52 pm

A pal is looking to do a mild 460/c6 build for a Maverick he picked up on the cheap. He's looking to build a solid and reliable street/strip car on a fairly minimal budget. He has experience with import turbo cars, but is looking to get into some Detroit iron to satisfy his speed needs. So this will be his first.

The bottom end will be acquired at a local salvage yard. Given his budget, I'm thinking a set of D3ve's with some cleanup and new hardware. New forged pistons, new stock rods with arp bolts, reuse the stock crankshaft- returned as needed. I'm a fan of solid cams so I was leaning towards a solid flat tappet. Intake, carb, and cam specs have yet to be determined as well as compression (iron head at 5400' elevation) but the rest of the combo will be a rebuilt, shift kitted c6, a 9" and 4.11's with a 26" sticky tire. Converter hopefully will fall into the 3500rpm stall range as he has one available and given the budget he'd like to make use of it.

I'd like to ask you all for advice and recommendations on everything from cam selection to intake, carb, and head prep. Feel free to shoot down anything I've said as well if you feel its not in the right direction.
4thHorseman
4thHorseman

Back to top Go down

need suggestions on a mild 460 build for a street/strip Maverick Empty Re: need suggestions on a mild 460 build for a street/strip Maverick

Post  4thHorseman October 6th 2009, 3:50 pm

update. I'm thinking 10.5 - 11:1. I think he'll be able to get by with the iron heads on pump gas due to our high altitude.
I was also looking at a 4150 950cfm carb on a weiand stealth intake for him.

bounce
4thHorseman
4thHorseman

Back to top Go down

need suggestions on a mild 460 build for a street/strip Maverick Empty Re: need suggestions on a mild 460 build for a street/strip Maverick

Post  4thHorseman October 9th 2009, 1:16 pm

52 views and no comments? Suspect Either the concept is brilliant or totally off. I'd imaging the later.

How about some cam number recommendations or a comment on the carb/intake choice? Anyone...Beuler?
4thHorseman
4thHorseman

Back to top Go down

Post  501ranger October 9th 2009, 3:52 pm

How fast do they want to go? I had a 466 with 11.7 to 1 c.r., stealth intake, 3500 converter, 3.73 gears, 3200 lb mustang, open headers, lunati sp solid cam(237/247 degrees duration at .050) ran 11.2@120 Mph, track elevation is 500 ft. Depending on the cam, a Victor or Torquer II intake would probably also work.
501ranger
501ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick November 14th 2015, 10:25 pm

In that small, lightweight, unibody car....chassis, chassis, chassis. It does sound like a hoot, tho.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cletus66 November 15th 2015, 11:05 am

4.11:1 may be too much gear with that short tire.
cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 November 15th 2015, 11:17 am

You guys do realize this is a 5 year old post?
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy November 15th 2015, 11:43 am

4thHorseman wrote:A pal is looking to do a mild 460/c6 build for a Maverick he picked up on the cheap.  He's looking to build a solid and reliable street/strip car on a fairly minimal budget.  He has experience with import turbo cars, but is looking to get into some Detroit iron to satisfy his speed needs.  So this will be his first.

The bottom end will be acquired at a local salvage yard.  Given his budget, I'm thinking a set of D3ve's with some cleanup and new hardware.  New forged pistons, new stock rods with arp bolts, reuse the stock crankshaft- returned as needed.  I'm a fan of solid cams so I was leaning towards a solid flat tappet.  Intake, carb, and cam specs have yet to be determined as well as compression (iron head at 5400' elevation) but the rest of the combo will be a rebuilt, shift kitted c6, a 9" and 4.11's with a 26" sticky tire.  Converter hopefully will fall into the 3500rpm stall range as he has one available and given the budget he'd like to make use of it.

I'd like to ask you all for advice and recommendations on everything from cam selection to intake, carb, and head prep.  Feel free to shoot down anything I've said as well if you feel its not in the right direction.

Five years old but, for any "newbies" who wish to know: someone sent it to the top.

If there is a real intention to buy new forged pistons then get some inexpensive aftermarket 4340 I-beam 6.700" long connecting rods with pistons to match.

A "custom" camshaft to exactly match the application but, a hydraulic is recommended when using the D3VE heads with their non-adjustable valve train  .

Use a "Torquer II" intake manifold with a Jomar "power-cone" spacer so it all fits under the hoodline. The card depends a lot upon whether or not you want a choke but, get one which has the C6 kickdown throttle lever.

Get some 1 7/8" headers.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf November 15th 2015, 8:27 pm

dfree383 wrote:You guys do realize this is a 5 year old post?

Out of curiosity where do you see the 5 year part. All I see is the date "on Fri 9 Oct - 15:52"?
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy November 15th 2015, 9:18 pm

jasonf wrote:
dfree383 wrote:You guys do realize this is a 5 year old post?

Out of curiosity where do you see the 5 year part. All I see is the date "on Fri 9 Oct - 15:52"?

On the view I have of the original post it says "Tue 6 Oct 2009 - 14:52"

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down