BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stock connecting rods hp and rpm limits

+13
64hoov
cool40
56Tbird
quick 52
bbf-falcon
Dave De
schmitty
c.evans
richter69
IDT-572
rmcomprandy
dfree383
whitefield
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Stock connecting rods hp and rpm limits Empty Stock connecting rods hp and rpm limits

Post  whitefield October 29th 2012, 12:30 pm

I have 13.5:1 compresion 466 with ported DOVE-C heads (for now) has a HYD flat tapett cam .610 lift on intake and exhaust duration is 261@.050 110 lobe seperation with stealth dual plane intake 950 quick fuel and long tube headers. I got this motor on a trade so plan on getting it running then freshen it up and change to a solid roller cam Vic. intake and 1050. At this time I was wanting to know if I should leave the stock rods and if they would handle say 6800rpm and whatever power it makes with the new upgrades ?
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Stock connecting rods hp and rpm limits Empty Re: Stock connecting rods hp and rpm limits

Post  dfree383 October 29th 2012, 12:35 pm

What pistons? What's done to the rods? What's the quality of the machine work and assembly?q
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Stock connecting rods hp and rpm limits Empty Re: Stock connecting rods hp and rpm limits

Post  rmcomprandy October 29th 2012, 12:44 pm

OEM connecting rods will absorb a lot of horsepower however, won't withstand a lot of high constant tensile loading which is determined by the RPM level, the stroke length and the weight of the reciprocating parts.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield October 29th 2012, 12:45 pm

As far as looks go on the rods they are awsome but thats about all I can tell you on the rods! the previous owner ran this in a 64 Galaxie with a 3500 stall and shifted at 6000. Pistons are Mahle pistons . I didn't build this one and didn't want to take it appart until I took it to the track.
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 October 29th 2012, 12:49 pm

When did Mahle start making a domed piston for a 460?
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield October 29th 2012, 2:04 pm

dfree383 wrote:When did Mahle start making a domed piston for a 460?

I was just going off what the original and previous owner told me ! ? Embarassed
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 October 29th 2012, 2:57 pm

Mike,

Stock rods are , well stock, and the worst part about that is you never know how many cycles they have been through in their life. Or was it a 88 year old lady running the car or somebody like me, that run the dog crap out of it.

Rods are cheap insurance in my book. Even a set of the Eagle SIR units are a good bit better than stock. At least you know they have not been ran to with in an inch of their life.

If the engine has domed pistons with stock rods, and been around a while, it's a fair bet they are heavy. Another reason to open it up and get some kind of idea the route to take.

You will get several totally different opinions on here about longevity of stock rods and their capacity, just be careful who you listen to, you could end up with a bushel basket full of broken parts.

JMHO
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield October 29th 2012, 4:41 pm

IDT-572 wrote:Mike,

Stock rods are , well stock, and the worst part about that is you never know how many cycles they have been through in their life. Or was it a 88 year old lady running the car or somebody like me, that run the dog crap out of it.

Rods are cheap insurance in my book. Even a set of the Eagle SIR units are a good bit better than stock. At least you know they have not been ran to with in an inch of their life.

If the engine has domed pistons with stock rods, and been around a while, it's a fair bet they are heavy. Another reason to open it up and get some kind of idea the route to take.

You will get several totally different opinions on here about longevity of stock rods and their capacity, just be careful who you listen to, you could end up with a bushel basket full of broken parts.

JMHO

The original owner told me that he ran it alot and only turned it 6000rpm and kept it maintenced, but the last guy turned 6800 and didn't ? I don't want to spend a fortune on it either. Arrow Crying or Very sad
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 October 29th 2012, 5:22 pm

Where are the SIR rods Red gave you? You could weigh them against the stock rods and maybe not even have to re-balance the rotating assembly. Be a good move for reliability.
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 October 29th 2012, 5:35 pm

I heard those h beams are junk, you gotta run a billet I beam........................ Razz
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 October 29th 2012, 5:37 pm

richter69 wrote:I heard those h beams are junk, you gotta run a billet I beam........................ Razz

The SIR rods are I beam, just look like stock rods...............

But your right H beams are junk................ Rolling Eyes

That's what I have learned on hear.
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield October 29th 2012, 6:16 pm

IDT-572 wrote:Where are the SIR rods Red gave you? You could weigh them against the stock rods and maybe not even have to re-balance the rotating assembly. Be a good move for reliability.

I don't have those anymore! I will look in to a set just for a piece of mind along with a rering bearings and gasket set.
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans October 29th 2012, 7:27 pm

Aw shucks Exclamation Run it until it blows up Twisted Evil It's only money Rolling Eyes They generally blow up just as you go through the traps and lift. Neutral Just hope you don't get any oil under the tires via the holes in the oil pan and crash the car into the guard rail. Embarassed

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty October 29th 2012, 9:51 pm

Those rods may last a long time, or they may window that block on the next pass. I'd rather buy some insurance with a cheap set of known good rods if it were mine. Pretty cheap stuff for some serious peace of mind for sure. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De October 31st 2012, 12:18 pm

whitefield wrote:
IDT-572 wrote:Where are the SIR rods Red gave you? You could weigh them against the stock rods and maybe not even have to re-balance the rotating assembly. Be a good move for reliability.

I don't have those anymore! I will look in to a set just for a piece of mind along with a rering bearings and gasket set.

Shades of my rod breaking post echo here.
Why not throw a low end stroker kit at it and use 4.3 crank? You will like the results.

Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon October 31st 2012, 12:43 pm

Unless it had a good set of ARP bolts,I wouldn't rev it past 5500 on a stock set of rods.jmo Smile

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 October 31st 2012, 12:57 pm

I'd be wonder what it is at all seeing the guy you got if from doesn't know Mahle doesn't make domed 460 pistons..........
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  quick 52 October 31st 2012, 2:53 pm

the H beam rods r no good now???

quick 52

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De October 31st 2012, 5:35 pm

quick 52 wrote:the H beam rods r no good now???

Right they are all junk so send them to me and I'll dispose them. I will also prepay the freight and any packaging expenses. Hey just send them COD.

To do the proper comparison test we need volunteers to take their motors apart and put I beams on one bank and H beams on the other. Then run to destruction and see which rod has broken first. Forget that this will be out of balance. A good controlled test requires at least seven motors to be blown where the rods are from the same manufacturer. Just think you would be doing this for a noble cause.

Dave
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird October 31st 2012, 5:50 pm

Dave De wrote:
quick 52 wrote:the H beam rods r no good now???

Right they are all junk so send them to me and I'll dispose them. I will also prepay the freight and any packaging expenses. Hey just send them COD.

To do the proper comparison test we need volunteers to take their motors apart and put I beams on one bank and H beams on the other. Then run to destruction and see which rod has broken first. Forget that this will be out of balance. A good controlled test requires at least seven motors to be blown where the rods are from the same manufacturer. Just think you would be doing this for a noble cause.

Dave
Actually to be fair,you should put I-beams on odd # rods and H-beams on the even #'s.Then you'll know for sure Rolling Eyes
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  quick 52 October 31st 2012, 6:35 pm

so when do we start the big BANG. why not on april 1. stock rods rule

quick 52

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield October 31st 2012, 11:06 pm

dfree383 wrote:I'd be wonder what it is at all seeing the guy you got if from doesn't know Mahle doesn't make domed 460 pistons..........

Dave you are correct and it would be my mistake on the brand of pistons Embarassed ! I talked to the original owner tonight ,the pistons are old style small dome TRW pistons and the rod bolts are ARP.
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 October 31st 2012, 11:13 pm

I have never seen the small dome TRW's just the heavy ones. Question scratch
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield October 31st 2012, 11:19 pm

IDT-572 wrote:I have never seen the small dome TRW's just the heavy ones. Question scratch

He said they where heavy and small dome in the same sentence ! ? study scratch !
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 November 1st 2012, 12:07 am

IDT-572 wrote:I have never seen the small dome TRW's just the heavy ones. Question scratch
me too......and i turned mine 7000 with arp bolts.the rods never were a problem but the d1ve block cracked from the main to the cam.coulda been the 50*timing scratch
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next