BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

valve covers

+2
LivermoreDave
motorhead
6 posters

Go down

valve covers Empty valve covers

Post  motorhead November 2nd 2012, 9:16 pm

I have a set of tall valve covers and I need to punch some breather holes in them. Any tips on this and should they have baffles? Any help would be great.

motorhead

Back to top Go down

valve covers Empty Re: valve covers

Post  LivermoreDave November 2nd 2012, 9:23 pm

Yes a tip if I may? Locate the breather device you intend to install before "punching" the holes.

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  motorhead November 3rd 2012, 6:45 am

I have guide plates and roller rockers so I can't use my old valve covers, but should the breather hole be located in the same place as the factory covers over the stamped rockers? Just want to make sure I get this right the first time.

motorhead

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave November 3rd 2012, 8:37 am

I think the "stock" location would be good. An important thought is, not to place the opening over or in-line with a rocker arm. Two concerns of mine would be dynamic rocker arm interference and oil being directed toward the opening. Of course, check for any interference of parts you plan to cover. If you did want to use the stock type valve covers, you could add gaskets to raise the valve cover.

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  motorhead November 4th 2012, 7:44 am

Thanks a lot Dave, I had not even thought of that little trick and that seems to be a good solution too. I did a mock up yesterday and it seemed as if I had enough clearence with the stock valve covers, but I could add the extra gaskets just in case; like when every thing is rotating.

motorhead

Back to top Go down

Post  John I. November 7th 2012, 12:42 am

Not sure what you're doing, but you can easily stack gaskets and elongate holes to move the covers around. I managed to get a set of 429CJ/SCJ covers on a SCJA head by doing that. As a point of interest, those valve covers are more forgiving than the stockers - different angles coming off the flange.

John I.
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon November 7th 2012, 9:52 am

They make a spacer just for this.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  GT300TD November 7th 2012, 11:18 am

motorhead wrote:Thanks a lot Dave, I had not even thought of that little trick and that seems to be a good solution too. I did a mock up yesterday and it seemed as if I had enough clearence with the stock valve covers, but I could add the extra gaskets just in case; like when every thing is rotating.

I bought a set of tall aluminum valve covers for my roller reckers but couldn't use them, my power brake booster was too big. Stacked 3 gaskets, what a mess, hard to line up and could not stop the leaks. Bought a set of valve cover spacers at the Columbus Spring Swap, very good investment even at $120. I have also seen them on e-bay.

GT300TD
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike R November 7th 2012, 7:57 pm

Jegs has these http://www.jegs.com/i/B-B/128/63930/10002/-1?parentProductId=747514 and I know Blue Thunder makes them also

Mike R

Back to top Go down

Post  GT300TD November 7th 2012, 8:14 pm

Mine are 1/2 " thick.

GT300TD
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content