BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Head repair problem

2 posters

Go down

Head repair problem Empty Head repair problem

Post  daveboys January 2nd 2013, 6:20 pm

This head has had a hole in the deck surface repaired. When the hole was fixed the water jacket was welded shut. Will it be ok or should a hole be drilled there? The head has not been ran since the repair.

Head repair problem 75371_511599948879907_928072607_n

There should be a hole here.

Head repair problem 206169_511599952213240_1265552473_n

daveboys

Back to top Go down

Head repair problem Empty Re: Head repair problem

Post  c.evans January 2nd 2013, 6:29 pm

It will be okay to run it as is, IF, If, if, that head will be used as drivers side, cyl. #5 for the rest of it's life.

If that head is ever going to be run on passenger side, as cyl. #4, then you will want/need to drill it out.

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  daveboys January 2nd 2013, 6:33 pm

thanks charlie - That head is about used up......In fact 10 years ago I thought it was beyond repair, but I found some on to save it and he did a fanastic job repairing the hole in the deck surface. I think I will just run it on the drivers side to not risk damage to the repair.

daveboys

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans January 2nd 2013, 6:41 pm

Well, you are probably just looking at the two heads and comparing them. More importantly, you should "correctly" lay a head gasket on the head and look at the water openings in the head gasket.

Essentially at the front of the head gasket you have small steam holes and then at the rear of the head gasket the holes become larger in order to actually pass some hot water.

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  daveboys January 2nd 2013, 6:59 pm

When laying a felpro 1018 on the head there is a small hole where the hole in the head use to be. The hole in the lower right of this picture. Thank for the help. I glad to know I don't need to drill it.

Head repair problem 41Sgd43XvJL._SS500_

daveboys

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans January 2nd 2013, 9:20 pm

Well you can drill it if you want to. I probably would. But my point is, that it does not need to be a big triangular hole like what the heads were cast with. It only needs to be a 1/8" diameter steam hole and directly in line with the hole in the head gasket.

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down