BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help me build my engine!

+12
richter69
466cj
Dave De
69F100
5pointslow
psfracer
bigblok2000ranger
Mark Laczo
bbf-falcon
the Coug
bruno
popskull
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Help me build my engine! - Page 2 Empty Re: Help me build my engine!

Post  richter69 January 11th 2013, 7:50 pm

he went back to gas and quit melting pistons......... now he slings the rods out of it.........going back to sbc now.......told him to put a bbf in it then he wouldnt have to set it on kill every pass......
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De January 11th 2013, 8:11 pm

popskull wrote:I appreciate the replies, so many things to think about. Whoever said to maybe lower the compression a bit and spray it at the track might have foreseen my future. Yes, this power is alot to handle, and yes, the car will have an 8.50 cage with extra bracing, I THINK it will hold up (but only time will tell, I suppose).

The cruise spot is about 3 miles down the road, I would figure I would drive it 3,000 to 5,000 a year. I know camshaft selection is big on reliability of valve springs, that is all something I will have to look at down the road, for sure. Maybe in a convertible I am overshooting myself and will end up shooting myself in the foot... but this is what I have to work with. Eventually, I would like to get a tube chassis car and I think this engine would end up in that, but that's down the line a bit.

As for the consistency of E85, I live in Illinois, have been running E85 in numerous things (short of my weed whacker), and during the summer months it tests out fairly consistent, if I go to the same station. Many of my friends run it too and it tests consistently. Thing is with the drum, I will go to my fav station and fill the drum to store it for the spring and fall when the blends get iffy.

Soooo, maybe I should lower the compression to 12:1, run a milder cam, shoot for 850-900 on motor and then spray it at the track?

Or I will just drop in a 4BT Cummins, twin turbo it and do something different (the more I think about this, the more I like it, especially for driveability's sake).

Convertible? Diesel? And drag racing should not be used together. E85 build at 12:1... Why not run a hydraulic flat tappet as well. Sell the vert buy a rolling chassis already done (not a vert). Load your stuff into it and have fun. Verts cant handle the power and they look sick with cages in them.
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  psfracer January 11th 2013, 9:07 pm

Dave De wrote:

Convertible? Diesel? And drag racing should not be used together. E85 build at 12:1... Why not run a hydraulic flat tappet as well. Sell the vert buy a rolling chassis already done (not a vert). Load your stuff into it and have fun. Verts cant handle the power and they look sick with cages in them.

That is great advice. Alot of rollers out there right now for sale way cheaper then you could ever build it for.
psfracer
psfracer

http://www.psfracer.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Alberts Kin January 11th 2013, 10:06 pm

the Coug wrote:
bruno wrote:
the Coug wrote:I am like Bruno I think you should build and go out and see if you can kill someone....

Randy , i can definetly respect your opinion , but this is 2013 , the age of electronics ...get out of your fred flinstone era Very Happy

Just so you know the first one of these guys that Kill someone with these 1000+ hp cars on the street I will be on the witness stand saying Bruno said it was perfectly ok to do it.... this is 2013

This is a double my GAWD Arrow affraid affraid , what were those crazy people from Speed Week thinking driving those big HP cars from track to track all week? pale Don't they know they could have killed someone with those 1000+++ HP cars just trying to prove a point that they had really fast cars Question Wink Hopefully next year before they do it, they will call and ask Coug what he thinks about it Razz Razz Razz

Alberts Kin

Back to top Go down

Post  QtrWarrior January 11th 2013, 10:19 pm

Ya'll have got Coug all wrong...

He just wants to be like the Goverment and tell you what you should and should not do... Shocked

Never mind the fact that the OP just might be a respondsible citizen and have an idea what he is doing... Cool
QtrWarrior
QtrWarrior

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty January 11th 2013, 10:41 pm

Just for another perspective of HP and TQ vs. weight. My new dually has about 800ft/lbs of tq and weighs about 9000#. It isn't very hard to drive, but I have lit up all 4 rears pulling a trailer full of hay weighing 30,000+lbs. For the OP, I hope you realize what you are doing, and at 1000hp/900tq, this is going to be a serious handfull all of the time, and like Mark Lazco said, may be more to handle than you will want to do. I'm not wishing to discourage your goal, just add a lot of reality and experience. I have 1000hp in my competition mud truck, rolling on big ole 44 boggers and yes I have driven it on a road, and would not want to do it very much. It will come around on you in the blink of an eye. Just be careful with it please. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 January 12th 2013, 1:53 am

^^^^ dont encourage the Coug!!!
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 January 12th 2013, 9:37 am

I'd shoot for 700-800 hp on a 10:1 pump gas A460 motor, 572 with 6.8 rods. C6 with some 3.23 or 3.55 gears.

Use a mild solid roller or even a hydraulic roller and keep it on the mild side to keep reversion down and keep it where you can run a tight convertor.

It will be all you need and then some in a vert with street tires.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2