BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tight front pump bushing

5 posters

Go down

tight front pump bushing Empty tight front pump bushing

Post  zbob January 13th 2013, 7:57 pm

my transpecialities converter is too tight in the front pump. when i miked it also seems slightly out of round. the guts seem smooth and the stall seems to my liking. who can weld a new snout on it. fwiw this one also has a billet mounting flange and a welded on anti balloon plate. thanks for your opinion....bobn

zbob

Back to top Go down

tight front pump bushing Empty Double check

Post  manofmerc January 17th 2013, 8:21 am

Why dont you just send it back to the manufacter ? If the snout on the convertor is out of round you are going to have leaks .Is it tight going into the pump bushing or is it as you go past the pump bushing and into the pump gear ? I had a new set of pump gears once you couldnt get the pump gear to go over the convertor snout .Took them back to the trans. parts store all their pump gears were like this .Find another convertor and mic it to see how much yours is out .Easier and better to double check this before going further .Doug

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

tight front pump bushing Empty Re: tight front pump bushing

Post  zbob January 17th 2013, 9:17 am

hey thanks for more info. I will check it again and see where it is tight. it might be a trip back like you say. bobn

zbob

Back to top Go down

tight front pump bushing Empty A little story

Post  manofmerc January 23rd 2013, 7:55 am

Zbob once I had the opposite problem .Mine was to small where it went into the pump and seal .It POURED trans fluid .It was a rebuilt G>E.R. 11" for a c6 I wont elaborate on how long or how much trouble it was to get another convertor .Good luck with your build Smile

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  zbob January 23rd 2013, 3:36 pm

as soon as my well un freezes and it is warm enough to work I am gonna pull the front pump and see what is tight. bobn

zbob

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE January 24th 2013, 2:21 am

Is it possible the front pump bushing might be in there a little a little off putting it in a bind?
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE January 24th 2013, 2:29 am

manofmerc wrote:.......G>E.R.............

G.E.R.....I know that hell. Laughing
I had one of their 8" "race" spragless converters years ago. Their idea of "spragless" was taking a factory sprag bearing assembly and Mig welding the inner/outer race & roller assembly together......it still failed & took out the stator destroying everything inside. Mad
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

tight front pump bushing Empty G E R Hell

Post  manofmerc January 30th 2013, 7:13 am

Dave That damn convertor I sent back to them It took 3-4 months for me to get a return from them .I even called the police in the city g e r was located in trying to get some results .Finally after 3 months I got another convertor .Nothing special an 11" c6 .And after a couple of years it self destructed filling my pan with metal and ruining my rebuilt c6 .Do you remember the guys name ? It was George Reynolds you probably saw all his adds in super ford magazine .On the other hand I did get one really good convertor from them I had it in my comet 460 running 13s it was problem free. I wonder if old George is still around ? I have come to find a really good convertor is worth the money .I have had issues wth tci also .I steped up to ati and havent looked back .Hang in there Dave .Doug Laughing

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE January 31st 2013, 3:40 am

manofmerc wrote:......you probably saw all his adds in super ford magazine........

I remember their magazine adds from back then. IIRC they tried to make some of them look more like an actual magazine tech article than just an add.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 January 31st 2013, 3:44 am

G.E.R.... YIKES ! thats brings back some bad memories from the 80's........... I had one in a mustang..... Wish I didn't have it !
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DJStang May 29th 2013, 7:28 pm

I've had good luck with ATI, Turbo Action and Continental convertors, for C-4's and C-6's. The Turbo Action 8" I have has been in 3 different cars over the last 12 years with just minor freshen-up's every 400-450 passes or so.

DJStang

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down