BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IMO best guitar player of all time ..

+19
res0rli9
Ranch71460
zbob
NOS42
Lem Evans
KY JELLY
DILLIGASDAVE
whitefield
mtacqua
61coon
Nevs
Doug Rahn
bbf-falcon
ThndrChkn
maverick
GT300TD
rmcomprandy
richter69
5pointslow
23 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

IMO best guitar player of all time .. Empty IMO best guitar player of all time ..

Post  5pointslow January 22nd 2013, 9:29 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZoX6Q0UK8A - Showing some lesson skills one on one very good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHBugWJvQDI - IMo one of his best solos

I have been listening to him ever since i was in diapers ! He was my fathers favorite and me being only 24 years old , never really had the op to go see him play ect due to his death ect . I play guitar as a hobby im not a pro or anything like that , but can appreciate how good he really is .

clapton, satriani ,hendrix there all great but SRV his style is on another level Cool and is a true Basketball
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

IMO best guitar player of all time .. Empty Re: IMO best guitar player of all time ..

Post  richter69 January 22nd 2013, 11:00 am

Totaly 100 percent agree with this.............. I listen to him everyday, 5 out 6 cd's in my truck are srv and have been for over a year lol.

I will agree to say he is the best out of all styles is a stretch......to each his own, but for this type he is and probably will never be matched. You gotta really sit back and listen to what he's doing, there is a lot going on....... Smile

Dave Dropped a bunch of his DVD's off last night, I've seen all the stuff on youtube, but the quality on the DVD is much better.

The man put 125% of his soul into every note............
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

IMO best guitar player of all time .. Empty Re: IMO best guitar player of all time ..

Post  rmcomprandy January 22nd 2013, 11:24 am

Alan Holdsworth, Garry Moore, B.B. King, Carlos Santana, Stevie Ray, the names go onward for 50 or so. It really depends upon the type of music preferred however, to me, how they are at playing stuff out of their character and willingness to do so, is what shows how good of a guitar player they really can be.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GT300TD January 22nd 2013, 11:53 am

There are a lot of excellent guitar players and I enjoy listening to many of them. I think it depends on the type of music each one of us likes. Personally I like David Gilmore (smoooooth), of course I could listen to Pink Floyd all day long Smile .

GT300TD
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick January 22nd 2013, 11:59 am

So many styles...How about Mark Knopfler or the late, great Chet Atkins.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn January 22nd 2013, 12:26 pm

S.R.V. has to be, bar none, the best "all around" guitarist of all time. But, if you're breaking them up into the types of music in which they played, there's fast fingered Eddie VanHalen, Slash from G-n-R, and yes, even the late great Chet Atkins, or even another great of the old days was Roy Clark. The thing I like about all of the above is that they actually play their music. Not like the so-called artists of today, that probably can't even spell guitar, let alone play one. Or any other instrument for that matter.
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow January 22nd 2013, 12:27 pm

SRV to me his style of music is obviously not the same as eddie van halen or a hard rock guy . At his style exactly as Fabio has said listenm and watch to what he is doing its incredible

To say hes the best is an opinion on what i have listend to , theres a lot of music that i havnt heard either

he makes it looks easy
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 January 22nd 2013, 12:38 pm

at 3:02.............. Very Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yWaZVchd6k
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn January 22nd 2013, 12:50 pm

I agree... I watch VH1 Classic all the time and S.R.V. is on there often. He is probably the only one that I can just sit and watch play. He does make it look effortless... The rest, I mostly just listen to for the music of my era... Laughing
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon January 22nd 2013, 2:20 pm

me Surprised

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn January 22nd 2013, 7:31 pm

I would have to say Stevie is one of my favorite. He played like the guitar was a part of him, he was definitely blessed with the talent. Sad it had ended so soon. My younger brother and I were fortunate enough to see him play early in his career here in Savannah at a club called Twenty Jefferson down in the basement.

Here's a young kid I came across on Youtube that has that talent, great portfolio of music. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5suu4NVvWI&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow January 22nd 2013, 8:03 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ_DdgxRSak

^^^^^^^^^^ awesome from 1990 same year he died MTV UNPLUGGED !!!!!!!!!!!!!! pretty sweet
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs January 22nd 2013, 8:32 pm

I'm a big SRV fan as well, saw him at RiverFest in St. Paul right before he died. I'm also a big fan of these two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WUeOEkl270&list=FL2twWKRjx_1UzIAo1nvGW3Q&index=27
and another with a great solo by Derek Trucks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBo_POKv21w&list=FL2twWKRjx_1UzIAo1nvGW3Q
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  61coon January 22nd 2013, 9:37 pm

SRV is greatness
61coon
61coon

Back to top Go down

Post  mtacqua January 22nd 2013, 9:48 pm

Growing up Jimmie Page was my favorite. Wrote, produced, multiple instruments, etc. Then I discovered SRV, while he might not be as well rounded, with a guitar I think he is unmatched. And he'd from Texas, so that breaks any ties for me.
mtacqua
mtacqua

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield January 22nd 2013, 11:45 pm

Billy Gibbons , Jimi Hendrix, Randy Rhoads, Yngwie Malmsteen, Chuck Berry, B B King, Angus young, Kenny Wayne shepard, Muddy Waters, here are a few of my favorite guitar players it hard to find one great or best one I think, But hey thats my two cents! SRV is a great one too!
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE January 23rd 2013, 4:35 am

Have to agree that the subject as a whole is very subjective to peoples personal tastes.

But if talking about pure all-around talent as a whole that's flowing from a guitar player's hands, where he's "in the zone" and never has to look down at the guitar while he's playing, and is able to seamlessly improvise at any point during a song, then it's gotta be SRV without a doubt. The Austin City Limits stuff was amazing.

But if talking about one given type/style of guitar music vs another it becomes more of a crap-shoot and harder to say that SRV (or anyone else for that matter) is at the top of the list 100% of the time. If just basing on one music style you can't really compare someone like say SRV to say the metal guys, or the alternative guys because all the styles are so different.

And as for the blues/rock-blues/texas-blues guitar players/bands like SRV, (and all the others of this era) they probably wouldn't have been who they are/were without the influence of the old guard like Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy, & BB King.

If for some reason I was only allowed to listen to one single song all day long on a continuous loop played over & over, these are some of the blues/rock-blues/texas-blues songs (call the style what you want) I could never get tired of if looped all day long.......

SRV - Riviera Paradise (this song....holy crap.....everytime....the hairs on the back of my neck)
SRV - Little Wing
SRV - Texas Flood
SRV - The Sky Is Crying
SRV - Leave My Girl Alone
SRV - Tin Pan Alley/aka Roughest Place In Town
SRV - Voodoo Child
SRV - Cold Shot
Robin Trower - Bridge of Sighs
Robin Trower - Too Rolling Stoned

But other than SRV (and/or the blues based stuff) I also like a lot of different other kinds of music like alternative, rap-rock, metal, etc, etc. But I have never been able to stand that Jazz or County Western siht. Razz
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy January 23rd 2013, 11:17 am

DILLIGASDAVE wrote:Have to agree that the subject as a whole is very subjective to peoples personal tastes.

But if talking about pure all-around talent as a whole that's flowing from a guitar player's hands, where he's "in the zone" and never has to look down at the guitar while he's playing, and is able to seamlessly improvise at any point during a song, then it's gotta be SRV without a doubt. The Austin City Limits stuff was amazing.

But if talking about one given type/style of guitar music vs another it becomes more of a crap-shoot and harder to say that SRV (or anyone else for that matter) is at the top of the list 100% of the time. If just basing on one music style you can't really compare someone like say SRV to say the metal guys, or the alternative guys because all the styles are so different.

And as for the blues/rock-blues/texas-blues guitar players/bands like SRV, (and all the others of this era) they probably wouldn't have been who they are/were without the influence of the old guard like Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy, & BB King.

If for some reason I was only allowed to listen to one single song all day long on a continuous loop played over & over, these are some of the blues/rock-blues/texas-blues songs (call the style what you want) I could never get tired of if looped all day long.......

SRV - Riviera Paradise (this song....holy crap.....everytime....the hairs on the back of my neck)
SRV - Little Wing
SRV - Texas Flood
SRV - The Sky Is Crying
SRV - Leave My Girl Alone
SRV - Tin Pan Alley/aka Roughest Place In Town
SRV - Voodoo Child
SRV - Cold Shot
Robin Trower - Bridge of Sighs
Robin Trower - Too Rolling Stoned

But other than SRV (and/or the blues based stuff) I also like a lot of different other kinds of music like alternative, rap-rock, metal, etc, etc. But I have never been able to stand that Jazz or County Western siht. Razz

Guitar playing talent with the instrument and personal expression playing that instrument to express a feeling are two completely different things.

The great studio guitar players like Alan Holdsworth and Garry Moore and some others could play EVERYTHING ... copying almost anybody leaving the personality and expression part completely out of it.
SO, as everyone says about specific musicians, even the term "guitar playing" is open for subjective answers.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  KY JELLY January 23rd 2013, 12:57 pm

I like it all its alot harder to do than one might think , that bluegrass and percussion is hard on the pickin end the chords and stuff aint that bad once you get them finger muscles trained. Very Happy

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F#/watch?v=9-hJU-68pFQ

Nothing like a little white dog to go along with your bluegass music but all that torch welded copper and stuff goes on in Blake the snakes state lol Shocked

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F#/watch?v=rNY3_00p180
KY JELLY
KY JELLY

Back to top Go down

Post  GT300TD January 23rd 2013, 5:37 pm

Anyone ever heard of Eric Clapton Question Laughing

GT300TD
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 January 23rd 2013, 5:57 pm

WHO??????
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  GT300TD January 23rd 2013, 6:34 pm

richter69 wrote:WHO??????

The ONLY three time inductee in the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame.
Ranked SECOND in Rolling Stone magazine list of 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time Exclamation Cool

GT300TD
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans January 23rd 2013, 6:55 pm

Maybe some dude we aint heard of........one of those guys they hire to lay it down in the studio when it's gotta be right.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GT300TD January 23rd 2013, 7:06 pm

I believe Stevie Ray was #12.

GT300TD
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 January 23rd 2013, 7:38 pm

DONT CARE FOR CLAPTON MYSELF

ROLLING STONE SUCKS TOO

SRV AND DT CUT TEXAS FLOOD IN A DAY AND A HALF, EVERYTIME HE PLAYED IT WAS PRETTY MUCH RIGHT.............
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next