BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stock suspension 101 (Yellowhorse step inside please)

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Stock suspension 101 (Yellowhorse step inside please) Empty Stock suspension 101 (Yellowhorse step inside please)

Post  bigblok2000ranger February 9th 2013, 7:26 pm

Need your expertise please sir, I have heard you suggest Team Z several times but I don't know what parts I need. Stock suspension 1994 Mustang in the rear there are a decent amount of options, do I want double our single adjustable control arms, rod ends on both ends or rod ends in front and poli bushings in the back side of control arm, positive I will need an arb, they have a lower control arm bracket that's adjustable is that needed?

You know the engine combo... gonna be on a 3055s tire C6.

Appreciate all help!
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Stock suspension 101 (Yellowhorse step inside please) Empty Re: Stock suspension 101 (Yellowhorse step inside please)

Post  whatbumper February 9th 2013, 8:50 pm

Double adjustable upper and lowers. Good arb. Ability to adjust the lower mounts. Double adjustable shocks.

I like all heim ends but there are many opinions on this.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Stock suspension 101 (Yellowhorse step inside please) Empty Re: Stock suspension 101 (Yellowhorse step inside please)

Post  richter69 February 9th 2013, 9:02 pm

put a glide in it........
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper February 9th 2013, 10:38 pm

richter69 wrote:put a glide in it........
That would make it easier. We could set you up with a very good tranny if needed. Built to your needs.

Or any of the transmission guys sponsoring this site.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  yellowhorse7 February 10th 2013, 1:45 am

whatbumper wrote:Double adjustable upper and lowers. Good arb. Ability to adjust the lower mounts. Double adjustable shocks.

I like all heim ends but there are many opinions on this.

the ability to adjust the lower arm is perhaps the most important. Look for his 8.8 weld on LCA brackets. You'll need to use coil overs with said brackets though. I do believe there others that allow you use factory coils.

DA rears aren't necessary for you yet. Strange 10 ways will be fine for now. As far as heims, IMO the arb needs good ends. FK , Aurora and Baker are all great. Team Z uses FK
yellowhorse7
yellowhorse7

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger February 10th 2013, 2:20 am

So I want the double adjustable upper and lower control arms, the adjustable lca brackets Strange 10 adjustable coil over shocks, correct? I am gonna have a 9 inch housing built so I will just have the adjustable lca brackets built onto the housing.

Now onto the front suspension, will a ten way adjustable with coil over work there as well, travel limiters yes or no?
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  yellowhorse7 February 10th 2013, 9:11 am

bigblok2000ranger wrote:So I want the double adjustable upper and lower control arms, the adjustable lca brackets Strange 10 adjustable coil over shocks, correct? I am gonna have a 9 inch housing built so I will just have the adjustable lca brackets built onto the housing.

Now onto the front suspension, will a ten way adjustable with coil over work there as well, travel limiters yes or no?

Yes but figuring spring rate may take a few shots. With a BB I'd try a 14" spring.....150-175lbs, depending on how the car scales. Limiters are good insurance but you may not need them.

Go on Team Z's website and look at his outlaw 9". It has very detailed "teeth" that allow for fine adjustments on the LCA's

Understand that they KEY (at least one of them, lol) to SS stuff is having the correct convertor.....
yellowhorse7
yellowhorse7

Back to top Go down

Post  yellowhorse7 February 10th 2013, 9:14 am

http://www.teamzmotorsports.net/product_p/tzm-ol-bi9.htm
yellowhorse7
yellowhorse7

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper February 10th 2013, 10:34 am

yellowhorse7 wrote:http://www.teamzmotorsports.net/product_p/tzm-ol-bi9.htm

I have all of Dave's front end stuff but built my own rear control arms and bought my housing from TRZ. Nothing against Dave's housing but for the price it was hard to beat from TRZ.

We figured as long as the first and last letters of the product was the same it was okay. Laughing

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  yellowhorse7 February 10th 2013, 11:58 am

whatbumper wrote:
yellowhorse7 wrote:http://www.teamzmotorsports.net/product_p/tzm-ol-bi9.htm

I have all of Dave's front end stuff but built my own rear control arms and bought my housing from TRZ. Nothing against Dave's housing but for the price it was hard to beat from TRZ.

We figured as long as the first and last letters of the product was the same it was okay. Laughing

Heard that. Of course now that I live 30 minutes from TRZ I'm sure I'll be splitting my business....
yellowhorse7
yellowhorse7

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger February 10th 2013, 6:21 pm

Thanks for all the help (so far Wink ). One question; will the TRZ lca bracket work it has holes on half inch centers but is only $100 compared to $289 for the team z? I imagine the hole spacing would move the instant center a few inches at a time though and with my lack of knowledge on this don't know if there is a "window" where the lca will work or is the team z needed?

Tony the engine is getting dynoed and going to do a complete mock up on the car to scale it so we can get the converter right (or as close as possible on the first try).

I am gonna have my Trans case looked at and pressure tested before it goes back together two completely different combos and it went 1.60 60's so something is amiss.
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  yellowhorse7 February 10th 2013, 6:54 pm

bigblok2000ranger wrote:Thanks for all the help (so far Wink ). One question; will the TRZ lca bracket work it has holes on half inch centers but is only $100 compared to $289 for the team z? I imagine the hole spacing would move the instant center a few inches at a time though and with my lack of knowledge on this don't know if there is a "window" where the lca will work or is the team z needed?

Tony the engine is getting dynoed and going to do a complete mock up on the car to scale it so we can get the converter right (or as close as possible on the first try).

I am gonna have my Trans case looked at and pressure tested before it goes back together two completely different combos and it went 1.60 60's so something is amiss.

Very small movements in the LCA's will make big differences. We'll get into the whole" level lowers" and stuff when the time is right
yellowhorse7
yellowhorse7

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger February 10th 2013, 7:03 pm

10-4 So the Team Z are worth the extra money. I will get them.

Being as we are on the adjustable control arm brackets lets discuss adjustable upper brackets on the rearend, this is gonna have custom built housing so these would be easy enough to do at this time. Are they a good idea?
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper February 10th 2013, 9:51 pm

I have the trz ones and they work well. Remember you can change ride height some to effect your points.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger March 18th 2013, 10:29 pm

I found a local chassis shop that is making alot of stock style suspension parts for Mustangs and will be working with him. My car will get used to do some trial fitting of new parts he is working on building. He is working on building me a 9" with a back brace adjustable UCA and LCA brackets right now. He says if I use his parts he will come to the track and help me get it all sorted out. I really appreciate all the help guys!
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  yellowhorse7 March 19th 2013, 8:18 am

bigblok2000ranger wrote:I found a local chassis shop that is making alot of stock style suspension parts for Mustangs and will be working with him. My car will get used to do some trial fitting of new parts he is working on building. He is working on building me a 9" with a back brace adjustable UCA and LCA brackets right now. He says if I use his parts he will come to the track and help me get it all sorted out. I really appreciate all the help guys!

G/L with that. I once had a chassis shop "practice" on my car. Messed up was an understatement......

He's no longer in business and has since left the trade, at least rumor has it
yellowhorse7
yellowhorse7

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger March 19th 2013, 9:25 am

Damn I hope this guy ain't gonna do that, he is already making control arms and brackets for the housings... And had success with those. The main things he wants to mock up on mine are a k member he is working on and a parachute mount and an arb. He does have a couple cars in the 7's on his suspension.

Seemed like a great idea let him mock up a few parts and get a discount on stuff.
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper March 19th 2013, 1:26 pm

lot's of ways to skin a cat.

we don't build build front end stuff because of time but we built all of our rear stuff. we used a TRZ housing this time to save time since we were building other peoples cars and it is really nice.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  yellowhorse7 March 19th 2013, 9:43 pm

bigblok2000ranger wrote:Damn I hope this guy ain't gonna do that, he is already making control arms and brackets for the housings... And had success with those. The main things he wants to mock up on mine are a k member he is working on and a parachute mount and an arb. He does have a couple cars in the 7's on his suspension.

Seemed like a great idea let him mock up a few parts and get a discount on stuff.

Who? PM the info if you don't want to post. I know ALL of the chassis shops in that area
yellowhorse7
yellowhorse7

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger March 26th 2013, 8:16 pm

Trick Chassis his name is Alex Poplar I believe may have the last name wrong. He used to work with Josh Cryer at F&F Racecars in Clinton, WI. He started his own shop when Doug and Josh decided to close their shop.

http://trickchassis.com/trickstore/

He is adding a bunch of Mustang rear suspension parts but apparently waiting on the web designer to add the stuff.

Last edited by bigblok2000ranger on June 5th 2013, 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  yellowhorse7 March 26th 2013, 10:33 pm

bigblok2000ranger wrote:Trick Chassis his name is Alex Lepuex I believe may have the last name wrong. He used to work with Josh Cryer at F&F Racecars in Clinton, WI. He started his own shop when Doug and Josh decided to close their shop.

http://trickchassis.com/trickstore/

He is adding a bunch of Mustang rear suspension parts but apparently waiting on the web designer to add the stuff.

Huh. Last I heard Josh Kryer owned Trick Chassis. Built Tuff's car
yellowhorse7
yellowhorse7

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger March 26th 2013, 11:02 pm

Not 100% sure what happened, I know they were working together out in Clinton but now Alex is running it here in town. I think he said Josh is driving truck now probably for Doug his dad.
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger May 14th 2013, 10:58 pm

Tony what would be a good starting point on rear springs, I ordered 175 for the front as a starting point but am lost on the rears? I will scale the car once it is all ready to be mocked up and not a big deal if I need to change springs once we know the true weight.
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  yellowhorse7 May 15th 2013, 7:43 am

bigblok2000ranger wrote:Tony what would be a good starting point on rear springs, I ordered 175 for the front as a starting point but am lost on the rears? I will scale the car once it is all ready to be mocked up and not a big deal if I need to change springs once we know the true weight.

Slick....110 lbs. But that's just a start. Could vary a bit. The only thing that rear spring is doing is holding the car up. The shock is doing the work. I will say that I've seen some Wolfe RC cars prepped with a stiff rear spring; upwards of 200lbs. But the general opinion for a small tired deal at 3000# is 110-130. Convertor will need to be right and our engine guru may want something a bit different than the car wants Very Happy . Wheel speed is your friend.
yellowhorse7
yellowhorse7

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger May 15th 2013, 8:47 pm

Thanks Tony I really appreciate all the help and sure I will have more questions. Especially once I get to the baseline settings. The housing has adjustable upper and lower control arm brackets and I have no idea how to plot out a four link maybe you can suggest some good reading.
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next