BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Albert King & Stevie Ray Vaughan - In Session

+9
Larry T
KY JELLY
5pointslow
Mike R
Dave C.
superstangOH
Curt
richter69
DILLIGASDAVE
13 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Albert King & Stevie Ray Vaughan - In Session - Page 4 Empty Re: Albert King & Stevie Ray Vaughan - In Session

Post  KY JELLY January 1st 2014, 11:08 am

Best i can do with it so far fabio i know its way too slow . This is without amp on electric. I just cant get the sound close without or with distortion turned way down on my junk.
Albert King & Stevie Ray Vaughan - In Session - Page 4 Th_095a62a72b8b50960b43e36ce3f49cbe_zpsdf06a27e

Last edited by KY JELLY on January 1st 2014, 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
KY JELLY
KY JELLY

Back to top Go down

Albert King & Stevie Ray Vaughan - In Session - Page 4 Empty Re: Albert King & Stevie Ray Vaughan - In Session

Post  Dave C. January 1st 2014, 11:14 am

Try turning the volume on the guitar all the way up and controlling it with the amp ...

Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post  KY JELLY January 1st 2014, 11:31 am

I have tried that , tuned guitar down half step . A friend of mine said SRV used a single coil pickup so that may be the difference . I know the strats I have played have a sound of their own too. I am just a beginner and don't know much about all that stuff though lol.
KY JELLY
KY JELLY

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave C. January 1st 2014, 12:00 pm

SRV and all the Pros have Custom equipment that the rest of us can't buy.. After spending a lot of time, money and energy trying to get the "TONE" I was lookin for , I decided to accept the sound I had and drink a few extra beers... Sounds pretty darn good now!  drunken 

Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 January 1st 2014, 12:35 pm

SRV didnt have a lot of fancy gear......... "I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it"....... one of my favorite quotes and also one reason he has the tone he has.

most of it was in his hands........ no amount of gear can duplicate that either. The mortals must settle for what they can lol.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  KY JELLY January 1st 2014, 12:41 pm

Alright Dave lets see some playing cant be worse than mine . We get phabio a green oil can to beat on lol
KY JELLY
KY JELLY

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 January 1st 2014, 12:48 pm

I hear Dave is real good........

also Ive seen vids where Stevie would just show up at a club and sit it in, pick up some shitty Squire house band guitar...... and sound just like he would with his own rig..... or damn close anyways.

Number one was mostly stock, single coil pickups, there is speculation on where or not hey were rewound or not. It did have a dummy coil Rene installed to take some od the hum out, along with a 5 way toggle.... other than that it was stock . Huge jumbo frets, really high action.

The other guitars varied. He would often swap necks etc between them. Always trying to get that little extra, just like us gearheads lol.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 January 1st 2014, 12:50 pm

btw Randy thats pretty good, I wish I could get my fingers to work good enough to squeak out a couple cords.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  KY JELLY January 1st 2014, 1:25 pm

Thanks jon . All i can tell ya is practice ,practice , practice . It took me 6 months before i could get my fingers to do anything and still not that good , but better than i thought i would ever be lol. Its a good side hobbie for the cold months and warmer than chasing ducks lol

KY JELLY
KY JELLY

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave C. January 1st 2014, 1:39 pm

Yeah, well I play bass in a little garage band. Our lead guitar player is pretty darn good though. Usually at around midnight we sound better than any band I've ever heard!  drunken 

Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post  KY JELLY January 1st 2014, 3:24 pm

That dont ever turnout like a scene in sling blade does it ? "hey, turn that **** off"...... "shut up ,I know sheriff so -n- so lol.
KY JELLY
KY JELLY

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave C. January 1st 2014, 3:31 pm

As a matter of fact that's the name of the band...

Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post  Larry T January 1st 2014, 11:11 pm

back a few years ago I purchased a guitar from the info commercial I was watching.i had the CD's that came with it but everytime I would start to learn something from it the wife would start bitching "I ant never going to get to watch tv anymore". so that's were I went to youtube and learned several pieces of songs that's were I most of "master of the puppets".

the more i played that guitar the more I figured out that it was a pos so I don't have it anymore.a friend suggested I get a Yamaha red label I had one in my hands at the pawn shop but the price was 385.00 and it was beat up pretty good.so the search continues lol.......
Larry T
Larry T

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave C. January 2nd 2014, 3:11 am

Hard to beat a Stratocaster . Tons of good used ones out there.

Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE January 2nd 2014, 3:56 am

Going back and looking at a lot of the SRV videos again and the one thing I never noticed before was how much Stevie worked the hell out of the pickup toggle switch during some songs. His hands were already so busy, then add in constantly switching between pickups, no wonder I didn't notice it before. Shocked 
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 January 2nd 2014, 9:28 am

watch the "change it" vid, when he's playing the solo outdoors hes workin the knobs........deal aint even plugged in lol.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave C. January 2nd 2014, 9:38 am

You treed me.

Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 January 3rd 2014, 2:55 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F0TX1UgnSA

get some of that..........
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE January 10th 2014, 2:15 am

richter69 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F0TX1UgnSA

get some of that..........
Tasty Blues  Cool

Amazing young guitarist doing a Van Halen Eruption intro cover.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV6SmY04WdE
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 January 12th 2014, 12:35 am

How To Get SRV’s Tone
Posted: 6/18/2012 ★ Comments
I’ve answered this email what seems like 10,000 times since starting StevieSnacks.

“I have _________amp and ________ guitar and ________ pedals. How do I sound get SRV tone with my gear?”
This is a hard question to answer, impossible almost. There are no magic settings, there is no magic gear. Your tone starts with what you play, how you play it, and is shaped by the gear you have. You will never have SRV’s gear, and even if you did, if you can’t play like him, it won’t sound like him. You could take a player like Tommy Katona, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Mato Nanji, Chris Duarte, or countless others, give them a Squire Stratocaster plugged into a Fender Blues Junior with no pedals, and you wouldn’t believe how much they sound like SRV. If you can’t play like SRV, you can’t sound like SRV with any gear, period. Incidentally, that’s why lessons are a better investment than gear, but I digress.

4 Steps

There is however, a basic formula you can follow to get in the ballpark of SRV’s tone.

A Strat-style guitar with good pickups.
A cranked up Fender-style amp.
A Tube Screamer-style (mid-boosting) overdrive pedal(s).
Play like SRV.
Let’s go through these one-by-one.

Strat-style guitar

Yes, if you play like Stevie, you’ll sound like him with any guitar you play, but a Strat-style guitar with great single coil pickups will always sound more like him than a Les Paul. Which Strat you pick depends on how big your hands are, and your budget. But honestly, any MIM or higher level Strat, with a set of boutique pickups, will do the trick.

Considerations

Neck size: Fatter necks feel more comfortable if you have big hands
Pickups: Boutique (Fralin, Lollar, etc..) pickups do wonders for your tone
Saddles: GraphTech. End of story.
Strings: I prefer .11s, tuned down ½ step, brand almost doesn’t matter to me.
Cranked Fender Amp

Why Fender?

There are several well known “veins” of amplifiers, including

Fender-style
Marshall-style
Mesa Boogie-style
Vox-style
Each of these amp makers has a distinct ‘recipe’ that they follow for making their amps. This ‘recipe’ affects how they design the tone controls, gain stages etc… The main point here is that Stevie’s sound comes more from the Fender-style ‘recipe’ than any other. Yes, he used a Dumble amp. Yes, he used a Marshall amp. But his core, underlying tone, comes from that Fender ‘recipe’. A Fender-style amp is your best bet for getting in the ballpark of Stevie’s tone. You’ll need to get some dirt out of that amp too. An amp over 20 watts without a master volume is going to be almost useless to you unless you’re playing large shows. Most people who play at home, or at small gigs (< 100 people), should look for an amp under 20 watts. Crank the amp up to the point where you could almost play a solo, but not quite. You’re looking for a tone that sounds almost clean when play soft, but has a decent amount of grit when you play a chord with a strong picking attack.

Tube Screamer-style Overdrive Pedal

I’m not a huge fan of the Tube Screamer, it’s a decent pedal, but sounds terrible through a clean amp, and loses a ton of low end. But the signature characteristic of the Tube Screamer is the nasal midrange boost. To get Stevie’s tone, look for a pedal that has this midrange “bump”. A straight clean boost into a cranked Fender amp will sound OK, but will lack some of the thickness you want for high-octane soloing, ala, Texas Flood or Little Wing. Since you’re already getting a decent amount of grit from the amp, we won’t be using this pedal to generate a lot of distortion, rather we’re mainly using it as a “shaped” volume boost. This means our boost is not clean or transparent, it has a distinct sound to it, caused by the EQ response curve of the pedal’s circuitry, in this case, a midrange ‘bump’. Set the volume up high enough so that when you kick on the pedal, you notice a subtle volume boost on the amp, use the tone controls to match the treble level as closely as possible (to the clean signal), and finally, dial in as little gain (i.e., distortion, overdrive, etc..) as necessary to thicken up your tone for soloing. As you increase the gain, you may need to drop the volume knob a bit to keep that volume boost subtle. In addition, you can stack multiple pedals of this type in a row, probably no more than two. You’ll need to make sure the first pedal in the chain is running mostly clean however, running distortion into distortion is a tone killer.

Play Like Stevie

That’s not a joke. If you don’t grip the strings hard, play with a strong attack, play the licks he played, phrase them together correctly, and accent notes the way he did, none of what I’ve written above will matter.

How To Use The Gear

For clean tones, ala “Lenny”, play with a light touch, possibly rolling the guitar volume back to 8 or 9. The amp will clean up just a bit, resulting in a mostly clean tone. For rhythm tones, keep the guitar volume on 10, and adjust your attack based on how dirty you want the rhythm tone to be. For lead tones, kick on the overdrive pedal.

Conclusion

I’m sure many of you are eager to send me your suggestions, corrections, etc… and I’ve got to say…. please don’t. I am not obsessed with getting Stevie’s tone. I don’t know what kind of capacitors he used on his volume bypass circuit, or which tube he preferred in V1, I just don’t care. I can get tone I like with almost any combination of gear that fits in this recipe. And that’s good enough for me. This is not meant to be a complete, or thorough dissection of his tone. This is meant to reduce the ridiculous search for SRV’s tone into 4 basic elements. People argue at great length about the nitty gritty elements of his tone, and for the most part, I think that’s a waste of time. If you can’t make something that sounds like SRV with this recipe, you probably need more lessons
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE February 2nd 2014, 4:25 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7M8L1rAUsI
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Albert King & Stevie Ray Vaughan - In Session - Page 4 Empty Tommy Emmanuel playing Guitar Boogie and Stevie's blues A song he wrote for the late great Stevie Ray Vaughn!

Post  res0rli9 February 2nd 2014, 6:11 am

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave C. February 2nd 2014, 10:35 am

Not bad...... Kinda funny he has the 12th fret marked.... as if he couldn't find it...

Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE February 23rd 2014, 1:05 am

The Australian Pink Floyd Show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vzC7bG8E8g
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  KY JELLY February 23rd 2014, 10:45 am

http://m.youtube.com/index?#/watch?v=uJOWe02uBIw

Boys from oklahoma
KY JELLY
KY JELLY

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next