BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Harbor Frieght Winches

+12
cool40
whitefield
blown473
Barney
56Tbird
dave d
NOS42
bbf-falcon
jasonf
DILLIGASDAVE
Nevs
69F100
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Harbor Frieght Winches Empty Harbor Frieght Winches

Post  69F100 March 22nd 2013, 11:46 pm

Has anyone used the HR winches in there trailers I know the super winch is one of the best but not looking to spend that much on one that I hope I never need.But still don't want to buy one and need it to get the truck loaded and it not work.This is the one I am thinking about.

http://www.harborfreight.com/off-road-vehicle-winch-with-automatic-load-holding-brake-68141.html
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Harbor Frieght Winches Empty Re: Harbor Frieght Winches

Post  Nevs March 23rd 2013, 12:35 am

We used one of their 2000# el cheapo winches for years back when we started racing. Abused would be a better word actually. In those days, the car weighed 2450# and the thing just wouldn't die! I don't know about the 6000# one in your link, but the one we had was better than expected.
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE March 23rd 2013, 3:14 am

Don't remember what weight/size it is but avoid the HF winch that has a wireless remote control. A friend bought one for his enclosed trailer and the remote control's wireless reciever box on the winch fried after only a few uses.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf March 23rd 2013, 3:16 am

I used one of the ATV winches for the bed lift in my trailer. Within about 1 1/2 years the brake quit working on it and I only use the trailer a couple times a year. They are cheap but you get what you pay for imho. I only paid $48 or something but I wouldn't spend much on junk. I can't say as I would want one pulling my car.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon March 23rd 2013, 6:23 am

DILLIGASDAVE wrote:Don't remember what weight/size it is but avoid the HF winch that has a wireless remote control. A friend bought one for his enclosed trailer and the remote control's wireless reciever box on the winch fried after only a few uses.

That suprises me.Dave. I have had 2 12,000#(HARBOR FREIGHT) winches and I have their wireless remotes that I use. I have loaded 200+ large and small vehicles w/it w/o any issues at all. That wireless remote is the shits,I can sit in or steer from the outside w/o any help.

The only thing I do , is when I unbox them (100' cable) I cut the cable in half ,because w/that much it WILL ball up on 1 side and could jam. 50' has been plenty for what I do. That way if you wear the cable out,you still have 50' left.

I think they are the best buy on the market for the price. jmo

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE March 23rd 2013, 7:32 am

bbf-falcon wrote:
DILLIGASDAVE wrote:Don't remember what weight/size it is but avoid the HF winch that has a wireless remote control. A friend bought one for his enclosed trailer and the remote control's wireless reciever box on the winch fried after only a few uses.

That suprises me.Dave. I have had 2 12,000#(HARBOR FREIGHT) winches and I have their wireless remotes that I use. I have loaded 200+ large and small vehicles w/it w/o any issues at all. That wireless remote is the shits,I can sit in or steer from the outside w/o any help.

The only thing I do , is when I unbox them (100' cable) I cut the cable in half ,because w/that much it WILL ball up on 1 side and could jam. 50' has been plenty for what I do. That way if you wear the cable out,you still have 50' left.

I think they are the best buy on the market for the price. jmo
It was disappointing it fried, the short time the wireless winch/remote did work it was a big help. Made it so much easier for one person to load the car.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  NOS42 March 23rd 2013, 8:27 am

I have a 2500lb ATV Harbor Frieght deal, it works fine, a bit slow but works fine...I drag in a 69 Mustang with a 351C street car or my Fox body, no issues at all........do wish i had a remote for it though.....one feature I dont like is the cable release....you better have some tension on the cable if empty or you might have a little tangle up on your hands.....Ive had it since 2008
NOS42
NOS42

Back to top Go down

Post  dave d March 23rd 2013, 8:50 am

I bought one and it wouldn't pull shit, took it back for a another one [same size] and it has worked slow but it works, have it wired to run off of the truck battery, pulled my heavy ass comet up the trailer at norwalk when I broke last year,with remote and I think it is a 2000,or 2500 unit
dave d
dave d

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird March 23rd 2013, 9:23 am

I've got a 3000lb. one from Rural King. I'm sure it's about the same thing. I use it some and the wireless remote is the stuff!! I love it, I'd buy another in a heartbeat,well my girlfriend would Very Happy It was a birthday gift for me cheers She got it for $50 on sale Twisted Evil
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney March 23rd 2013, 12:05 pm

All the Chinese planetary ones are the same. all of them....warn superwinch mile marker hf doesn't matter. I have a Badlands 12k I bought at hf on my 53 ft Big Tex wedge and it will pull anything up on the trailer. I've pulled cars without wheels up on it a few times. Cut a 50 ft cotd and splice it into the remote and voila.
Barney
Barney

http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 March 23rd 2013, 2:26 pm

I just bought the Badlands 12k with wireless remote total was $331.97 on sale only $40 more than the 6k I was looking at so I just went with the 12k my truck sould never strain it.I went ahead and got the wireless remote that way I can sit in the truck and winch it in it was only $24.99 .They have the winch on sale right now for $299.99 so I decided to go ahead and get it.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon March 23rd 2013, 3:15 pm

69F100 wrote:I just bought the Badlands 12k with wireless remote total was $331.97 on sale only $40 more than the 6k I was looking at so I just went with the 12k my truck sould never strain it.I went ahead and got the wireless remote that way I can sit in the truck and winch it in it was only $24.99 .They have the winch on sale right now for $299.99 so I decided to go ahead and get it.

You made a wise choice,I just yanked a junk Chevy 4wd truck on the trailer this morning w/back brakes froze up. The 12k's are plenty quick also.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney March 23rd 2013, 6:30 pm

I drug a rolled ram 2500 diesel that no rear tires onto my trailer last week. Didnt even need a doubling block. I got the two year warranty with mine and don't plan to ever pay for another one. Just exchangr it every 18 months or so.thr american worm drives are badass but over a grand. If you do serious recovery stuff they're the ticket.
Barney
Barney

Back to top Go down

Post  blown473 March 23rd 2013, 11:56 pm

I have one of their units that you hook the unit to something stationary like the tow rig or front of the trailer, then hook the cable to your vehicle, it has pulled my 3240 lb truck onto a car trailer dozens of times with no issues, pulls pretty good actually and it was a $49. unit.
blown473
blown473

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE March 24th 2013, 12:15 am

We once tried the box-like looking cheap HF winch that also comes with the mount that can be put over a trailer hitch ball. It would pull a decent amount of weight, but it was geared so steep it advanced the cable super slow & took forever to get a car on the trailer.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield March 24th 2013, 12:36 am

Never owned one from HF but got my warren from Northern Tool . I think they are all the same anyway , China Made! Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 March 24th 2013, 12:47 am

9000 ramsey from my old wrecker.it sure pulls the car in the trailer fast. Laughing
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf March 24th 2013, 1:04 am

dave d wrote:I bought one and it wouldn't pull shit, took it back for a another one [same size] and it has worked slow but it works, have it wired to run off of the truck battery, pulled my heavy ass comet up the trailer at norwalk when I broke last year,with remote and I think it is a 2000,or 2500 unit

You need to have a battery (preferably deep cycle) in the trailer as close as possible to the winch. And then run the biggest mother cable you can to the winch. Cheap winches draw current like a mofo. My little atv winch would work ok when the battery was 3' from the winch (during mock up). As soon as I moved it to the front of the trailer (approx 18') it wouldn't pick itself up. I ran 8 gauge cable to it and it was business as usual. For a large winch I would run at least a 4 gauge or some 1/0 welding cable for a long run.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney March 24th 2013, 1:21 am

cool40 wrote:9000 ramsey from my old wrecker.it sure pulls the car in the trailer fast. Laughing
Ramseys are probly the best out there.
Barney
Barney

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon March 24th 2013, 8:11 am

69F100 wrote:I just bought the Badlands 12k with wireless remote total was $331.97 on sale only $40 more than the 6k I was looking at so I just went with the 12k my truck sould never strain it.I went ahead and got the wireless remote that way I can sit in the truck and winch it in it was only $24.99 .They have the winch on sale right now for $299.99 so I decided to go ahead and get it.

Just make sure you use all the hardware that comes w/winch(fuse relays etc.) And use the size cable that they say and it will be fine.Mine will pull just as fast under load as it does not loaded.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Diggindeeper March 24th 2013, 2:09 pm

No idea about hf stuff but warn and super winch are rebuild able with parts reasonably priced and available. Iirc a planetary set and mechanical brake were under $40 for my warn on my can am.
Diggindeeper
Diggindeeper

Back to top Go down

Post  66prostreetfairlane March 30th 2013, 9:00 am

I have a 12k badland mounted behind my bumper on my 06 ram. I also have the biggest yellow top battery that optima makes. It was already said it draws current like a mofo, you need big cables and a battery that isup to the task.
Don
66prostreetfairlane
66prostreetfairlane

https://www.reiautomationsquad.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  nastynotch600 May 18th 2013, 1:35 am

if you go with HF, get the extended warranty

nastynotch600

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon May 19th 2013, 9:14 pm

I wasted my money buying the xtend warranty on the HF Baddland. Damn thing has loaded close to 300 junk cars/trucks w/o a problem. I got ripped off,. Laughing I agree though,buy it on all winches,just never know.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  66prostreetfairlane May 19th 2013, 9:19 pm

bbf-falcon wrote:I wasted my money buying the xtend warranty on the HF Baddland. Damn thing has loaded close to 300 junk cars/trucks w/o a problem. I got ripped off,. Laughing I agree though,buy it on all winches,just never know.

I have a lot of tools from HF mostly ones i use here and there and just can't justify spending the bank. My rule is if it has moving parts and over $100, i'm buying the warranty. I currently have a 12k badland winch mounted behind my front bumper inbetween my frame rails with a wireless box on it. I have only used it a hand full of times, but it has done very well for me so far. I made sure installed all the wiring that came with and relays and upgraded to the yellow top battery. Fingers crossed it will last long enough for me to hit the next $600MIL PowerBall.
Don
66prostreetfairlane
66prostreetfairlane

https://www.reiautomationsquad.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next