BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

timing gear pin killed another good engine!

+15
stanggt
72puller
4604X4
bronco
rmcomprandy
bigjohn2007
Lem Evans
IDT-572
bbf-falcon
LivermoreDave
512Fairlane
70FB
bigblok2000ranger
Dave C.
BUZZ BUZZARD
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

timing gear pin killed another good engine! Empty timing gear pin killed another good engine!

Post  BUZZ BUZZARD March 25th 2013, 8:41 pm

Two weeks ago during first round of eleminations cam pin broke on the lunati cam, dropped an exhaust valve and bent several others. Most of the piston, rings and cylinder wall came out the header! This was the 557 in my t-bird. I first thought of what was once said about cam journals being too tight, not the case. The cam spun very freely in the coated durbonds, and had no visible wear or scaring of the cam bearings. The snout of the cam was ground down for correct clearence, bolt was a grade 8 torqued to spec with a sbc balancer washer behind it. I knew better then to use a cam with only one pin and a 3/8 bolt but the ultra wise guy at Lunati assured me that he never had one break. Bullshit, he must have been thinking of some pos sbc with an rv cam. I called lunati to see if they could drill out the bolt hole to 7/16 and drill out the broken pin and drill for the extra pin he said they could not. Then he told me to call bullet. Now that is service. I didn't ask for a freeby because I knew better than to use that cam but I was in a hurry to race as usual. I will be putting the smaller cam motion stick in this engine that I am putting back together.

BUZZ BUZZARD

Back to top Go down

timing gear pin killed another good engine! Empty Re: timing gear pin killed another good engine!

Post  Dave C. March 25th 2013, 8:55 pm

I bought a cam from Lem ...it came double drilled with a big ol bolt in it...drilled the timing chain gear too.

Dave C.

Back to top Go down

timing gear pin killed another good engine! Empty Re: timing gear pin killed another good engine!

Post  bigblok2000ranger March 25th 2013, 9:16 pm

Had a local machine shop do the last one and cam gear at same time cost me $30.
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  70FB March 25th 2013, 9:46 pm

Got me nervous now. Comp cam single pin.
70FB
70FB
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave C. March 25th 2013, 9:52 pm

Wouldn't take much to pull it out to have it fixed...Might be worth it.

Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post  512Fairlane March 25th 2013, 10:30 pm

I had that happen once also. Luckily I was idling but I still bent 8 intake valves. I found that my ARP bolt was few threads too long so when I torqued it I wasn't getting a good reading. My new cam I ordered from Lem. He sent my cam gear to comp and had them double pin it and tap it for 7/16" fine thread.
512Fairlane
512Fairlane

Back to top Go down

Post  BUZZ BUZZARD March 26th 2013, 11:46 am

I thought about pulling mine out over the winter several times. It was alot more painful pouring a piston and a cylinder out the header!

BUZZ BUZZARD

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave March 26th 2013, 1:46 pm

Try this shop. In the Owensboro, KY area.

www.jetboatbob.com

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon March 26th 2013, 3:03 pm

I made a jig and do my own.
timing gear pin killed another good engine! IMG_0219
timing gear pin killed another good engine! IMG_0212
timing gear pin killed another good engine! IMG_0217
timing gear pin killed another good engine! IMG_0222

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 March 26th 2013, 5:43 pm

512Fairlane wrote:I had that happen once also. Luckily I was idling but I still bent 8 intake valves. I found that my ARP bolt was few threads too long so when I torqued it I wasn't getting a good reading. My new cam I ordered from Lem. He sent my cam gear to comp and had them double pin it and tap it for 7/16" fine thread.

Most I have seen break were idling. Kind of like running over a speed bump in a parking lot at low speed it moves the suspension more.
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans March 26th 2013, 6:26 pm

512Fairlane wrote:I had that happen once also. Luckily I was idling but I still bent 8 intake valves. I found that my ARP bolt was few threads too long so when I torqued it I wasn't getting a good reading. My new cam I ordered from Lem. He sent my cam gear to comp and had them double pin it and tap it for 7/16" fine thread.

Relative to 'too long' bolts....I had the same luck with a high dollar ARP crank bolt/washer kit....a little too long for the bolt lenght. Luckly I caught it during the install. Just because it came from ARP don't make it correct.

I try to always add "7/16" bolt please" to all of my solid roller cam orders from CompCams. Cam grinders buy the cores from a few different suppliers and a lot of the cores have a 3/8" thread. I've never had Comp charge extra for the 7/16" request but, one will have to call out and pay for the dual pin option.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans March 26th 2013, 6:52 pm

Another thing is....if you are doing an engine with a new cam and adding a D. Bee belt drive kit...request that the cam company dual drill and leave the 2nd pin out and install the 4340 pin that is provided with the kit.

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  bigjohn2007 March 26th 2013, 7:05 pm

If the 2 pin holes in cam and timing set is same size how u now which way to install them?
bigjohn2007
bigjohn2007
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans March 26th 2013, 7:15 pm

bigjohn2007 wrote:If the 2 pin holes in cam and timing set is same size how u now which way to install them?

When correct....both valves should be closed at TDC at # 1 cyl.

I've seen a guy engrave a note as which was the orginal pin.

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy March 26th 2013, 7:28 pm

When I order a roller cam, I request a 7/16" threaded snout however, some still get to me with thread for a 3/8x16 bolt. When I get those, I drill and tap them for a half inch thread so even more bolt holding torque can be used.

One 3/8" bolt just won't apply enough holding strength for high spring pressure, even with a double pin.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 March 26th 2013, 11:40 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:When I order a roller cam, I request a 7/16" threaded snout however, some still get to me with thread for a 3/8x16 bolt. When I get those, I drill and tap them for a half inch thread so even more bolt holding torque can be used.

One 3/8" bolt just won't apply enough holding strength for high spring pressure, even with a double pin.

That's a fact.................. Twisted Evil
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bronco March 27th 2013, 8:23 am

So with my new motor having a solid roller cam in it. I should check thus before I run it. It is a lunatic cam.

bronco

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy March 27th 2013, 9:08 am

bronco wrote:So with my new motor having a solid roller cam in it. I should check thus before I run it. It is a lunatic cam.

The snout thread size is NOT brand specific. The core suppliers to the cam companies are the ones responsible for this getting to the end user unless it is specifically checked and attended to, by the cam company before grinding.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 March 27th 2013, 9:49 am

bronco wrote:So with my new motor having a solid roller cam in it. I should check thus before I run it. It is a lunatic cam.

Yes, I have seen them run and not break but, I have seen a bunch break also. As for me it's not worth the gamble.............. Rolling Eyes
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  4604X4 March 27th 2013, 12:22 pm

What do you use to hold the cam from turning while tightening the bolt? I just stuffed a rag between the chain and gear, but it didn't seem like it was the professional way to do it.
4604X4
4604X4

Back to top Go down

Post  bigjohn2007 March 27th 2013, 5:10 pm

Put something throw hole in the gear and wedge it against the block so it want turn.
bigjohn2007
bigjohn2007
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  72puller March 27th 2013, 8:11 pm

I use a wrench to keep the crank from turning with one hand and tighten the cam bolt with the other hand.
72puller
72puller

Back to top Go down

Post  512Fairlane March 29th 2013, 11:07 pm

IDT-572 wrote:

Yes, I have seen them run and not break but, I have seen a bunch break also. As for me it's not worth the gamble.............. Rolling Eyes

Definitely not worth the gamble. Mine didn't let go right away I had several runs on it. Grade 8 7/16"-20 bolt torqued to 70 ft. lbs. is much better than 3/8"-16 torqued to only 45 lbs. imo. An engine is only as good as its weakest link. You can tear up a lot of sh#t when that happens.
512Fairlane
512Fairlane

Back to top Go down

Post  stanggt March 30th 2013, 10:23 pm

wow, didnt know this was happening. I should have my roller cam for my 420 SBF that bullit is going to grind me double pinned and 7/16 bolt added to that to ya think?
stanggt
stanggt

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield April 6th 2013, 1:30 pm

stanggt wrote:wow, didnt know this was happening. I should have my roller cam for my 420 SBF that bullit is going to grind me double pinned and 7/16 bolt added to that to ya think?

It wouldn't hurt! Smile

Has anyone had one to break both pins ?
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next