BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

build help

+7
richter69
bbf-falcon
IDT-572
LivermoreDave
69F100
dfree383
toytroy
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

build help - Page 2 Empty Re: build help

Post  toytroy March 27th 2013, 3:37 am

dfree383 wrote:"Port Matching" isnt worth much of anything, You need to get into the bowls and blend everything and get a proper valve job if your looking for results. Along with some bigger valves of appropriate material for the application.

I still think you better off getting some SCJ heads, over reworking / rebuilding some dove heads for absoulte bang for the buck.

I understand that port matching isn't gonna be a huge differance in power, its just something id like to do. I'm not pro at "working" heads and I haven't found a great machinest around my area yet. Once again, I'm not looking for huge power numbers and I already have a set of d0ve heads that would just need some freshing up. I do understand that scj head would be a superior choice but, once again, I'm not looking for big numbers nor do I have a set. I guess I'm more of a humble racer as I see it in my head. I don't need the biggest and baddest car, just one to make a smile apear at the end of the day. I guess I should have mentioned that the nearest 1/4 track is 2 hours away and nearest 1/8 is 1 hour. So with my work schedule and 3 kids, actually making it to a track is gonna be slim compared to others so I don't want butt loads of money just sitting, not getting used.

toytroy

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 March 27th 2013, 4:16 am

Its your money do what you want, but your going to be disappointed and regretting spending all the money on the DOVE heads later when you want to go faster.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 March 27th 2013, 9:45 am

Troy I understand, some of the most fun I ever had was with a old engine with D2VE heads on it.

Sometimes you do what you have to do with. I'm glad to see you doing what you want, have fun bud. Wink
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  toytroy March 27th 2013, 10:07 am

dfree383 wrote:Its your money do what you want, but your going to be disappointed and regretting spending all the money on the DOVE heads later when you want to go faster.

You keep saying that I'm gonna spend a lot of money on the d0ve heads. I'm not sure why due to, the only thing I'm gonna really need to do is replace the springs, retainers ect... which I'm guessing will be around $300 tops if I do go with a flat tappet cam. To me, that doesn't seem like a lot of money. Now, if I was going to replace everything on the heads and do a full port/polish job, then yes, there would be a lot of money spent but, that's not what I'm doing. I do thank you for your input and all suggestions are always concidered do to I haven't got the motor put together yet.

toytroy

Back to top Go down

Post  toytroy March 27th 2013, 10:08 am

IDT-572 wrote:Troy I understand, some of the most fun I ever had was with a old engine with D2VE heads on it.

Sometimes you do what you have to do with. I'm glad to see you doing what you want, have fun bud. Wink

Thanks.

toytroy

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 March 27th 2013, 11:29 am

dfree383 wrote:Its your money do what you want, but your going to be disappointed and regretting spending all the money on the DOVE heads later when you want to go faster.

I ran 10.30's w some junk doves...... n/a at that. not everyone needs alum heads.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 March 27th 2013, 11:57 am

richter69 wrote:

I ran 10.30's w some junk doves...... n/a at that. not everyone needs alum heads.
So have I, but when you don't have access to a good machine shop and can't do a lot yourself, the aluminum aftermarket stuff is a better alternative to working over a set of factory iron to get similar performance. Machine work and parts are not cheap for most people.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 March 27th 2013, 12:07 pm

toytroy wrote:

You keep saying that I'm gonna spend a lot of money on the d0ve heads. I'm not sure why due to, the only thing I'm gonna really need to do is replace the springs, retainers ect... which I'm guessing will be around $300 tops if I do go with a flat tappet cam. To me, that doesn't seem like a lot of money. Now, if I was going to replace everything on the heads and do a full port/polish job, then yes, there would be a lot of money spent but, that's not what I'm doing. I do thank you for your input and all suggestions are always concidered do to I haven't got the motor put together yet.

Typical 40+ year old heads are wore out and generally at least need guides, add a valve job, surface clean up, Valves, Springs, retainers, Locks, Guide plates and studs (+machining for them) you will be in them for very close to or over a grand at a reputable shop, using quality parts.

I'm not against using them, I've done it a number of times, but if your want maximum return for your investment and room for future growth...... they are not the way to go.

dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  toytroy March 27th 2013, 12:27 pm

dfree383 wrote:
toytroy wrote:

Typical 40+ year old heads are wore out and generally at least need guides, add a valve job, surface clean up, Valves, Springs, retainers, Locks, Guide plates and studs (+machining for them) you will be in them for very close to or over a grand at a reputable shop, using quality parts.

I'm not against using them, I've done it a number of times, but if your want maximum return for your investment and room for future growth...... they are not the way to go.

I talked to the guy last night I got them from and he told me that he had them completely re done when he was running them but, he used a roller cam so I ill have to change out the retianer, springs ect... Its not that I'm uncapable of rebuilding the heads, I just don't have the machinest/skill to do any of the machine work. Also, I guess I'm trying to not go over board on power due to the budget I have. The more hp/tq the motor makes, the more I'm gonna have to beef up everything else. The thing I'm looking at too is, to get some scj heads to my door is gonna be between $1600-2000. That's between $600-1000 more then it would cost to fully redue the d0ve's and on a budget that can be intake, rockers, push rods, cam/lifters and possibly a used carb. I know the scj would be the best for making power and growing but, I don't believe they are my best bet this point in time. Like I've said, I do appreciate the time your giving and knowledge.

toytroy

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield March 27th 2013, 1:27 pm

Sometimes people just need a little guidance to help them use or run what they already have! Money is the reason why some of us can't get what parts we want or is suggest for our hot rods. Build it and have fun with it my most fun days was running my 68 Torino and my old 72 F100 . They were fun streetable Vehicles. Good luck afro cheers
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 March 27th 2013, 1:29 pm

I need to get off my ass and start on my baller build lol, will have easily less than 15-1600 bucks in the whole deal....... carb to pan. waterpump to flywheel.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans March 27th 2013, 2:06 pm

IDT-572 wrote:Troy I understand, some of the most fun I ever had was with a old engine with D2VE heads on it.

Sunday morning Wes Littrel drove to Glasgow, Ky. and picked up a set of D0 & C8 heads.....he turned down a set of D2VE heads Evil or Very Mad You need to talk to the boy.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 March 27th 2013, 2:44 pm

Lem Evans wrote:

Sunday morning Wes Littrel drove to Glasgow, Ky. and picked up a set of D0 & C8 heads.....he turned down a set of D2VE heads Evil or Very Mad You need to talk to the boy.

You seen them run at the first BBF bash hi speed boat anchors................. Razz Razz
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 March 27th 2013, 11:06 pm

Some times it's not the hardware..... It's the wing nut building the bullet........... cheers
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon March 28th 2013, 8:44 am

whitefield wrote:Sometimes people just need a little guidance to help them use or run what they already have! Money is the reason why some of us can't get what parts we want or is suggest for our hot rods. Build it and have fun with it my most fun days was running my 68 Torino and my old 72 F100 . They were fun streetable Vehicles. Good luck afro cheers

I have to agree. ToyBoy,I understand your situation.If that's what you have,and that's all your budget w/raising family can afford,then you use what you have for now. Because if you put your build off because you don't have the funds for the latest and greatest parts you might never see it finished. Use what you have for now and take care of the family. Believe me,you will have more fun w/it. We are here to help you along.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  61coon March 28th 2013, 9:06 am

bbf-falcon wrote:
whitefield wrote:Sometimes people just need a little guidance to help them use or run what they already have! Money is the reason why some of us can't get what parts we want or is suggest for our hot rods. Build it and have fun with it my most fun days was running my 68 Torino and my old 72 F100 . They were fun streetable Vehicles. Good luck afro cheers

I have to agree. ToyBoy,I understand your situation.If that's what you have,and that's all your budget w/raising family can afford,then you use what you have for now. Because if you put your build off because you don't have the funds for the latest and greatest parts you might never see it finished. Use what you have for now and take care of the family. Believe me,you will have more fun w/it. We are here to help you along.

Yep, pretty much sums up why mine has taken forever to build LOL. You do what you can with what you have... Main thing is have fun doing it! ---RED
61coon
61coon

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon March 28th 2013, 2:28 pm

The kids will still be around and remember what Dad sacrificed long after the cars are gone. Wink cheers

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2