BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cam Degreeing Question

2 posters

Go down

Cam Degreeing Question Empty Cam Degreeing Question

Post  512Fairlane April 6th 2013, 10:30 pm

Degreed my roller cam today and I have a question. I used the intake centerline method that Comp recommends and the intake centerline came out right on 108 so I thought I was good. When I checked the valve timing at .050" lift with zero lash the valve was opening too early and closing to within .050" too late. If I check it with the correct .020" lash they were right on the money 24 degrees before top dead center and 60 degrees after top dead center. Are the opening and closing events supposed to be checked with the .020" lash? For some reason I thought they were supposed to be checked with zero lash? I seem to remember checking other cams at zero lash and the numbers worked out. I'm getting old though. Very Happy
512Fairlane
512Fairlane

Back to top Go down

Cam Degreeing Question Empty Re: Cam Degreeing Question

Post  c.evans April 6th 2013, 11:50 pm

Mike,

I assume you had your indicator mounted on the retainer. If so, then give it the .022" lash, because things are being multiplied by the rocker arm ratio of 1.73.

Try mounting your indicator on the cup or pushrod side of the rocker arm if you want to use "zero lash", then things should read directly as if you were on the cam lobe. Cam card numbers are off the lobe.

Hope this helps,

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  512Fairlane April 7th 2013, 8:15 pm

Thanks Charlie. I was having a major brain fart day.
512Fairlane
512Fairlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down