BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoosier tires.... Just can't seem to get where I want to be.... what should I do???

+9
TravisRice
512Fairlane
powerstrokeace
Larry Williams
79ford pickup
cool40
bruno
richter69
bluef100fe
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hoosier tires.... Just can't seem to get where I want to be.... what should I do??? Empty Hoosier tires.... Just can't seem to get where I want to be.... what should I do???

Post  bluef100fe April 10th 2013, 9:07 pm

I want to stick with Hoosier's. I think I need to stick with a stiff sidewall. I really want to go with 18195 29.5/11.5W-15 (Hoosier recomments a 12-14 inch rim) but I only have 10 inch rims and new rims aren't really in the budget because I want to use my narrowed/braced housing when I get new rims, 35 spline axles/spool, etc which really isn't in the budget this year. So is there another stiff sidewall tire that is bigger than what I have but will fit on a 10 inch rim? Or do I need to not worry about the stiff sidewall? The heavy truck hits the tires fairly hard already and I'm not sure I want to see what happens to the tire/rim without a stiff sidewall. I want as much tire as I can get/afford for consistency when I bracket race. My local track usually has questionable track prep. I don't think i want to go any taller than a 29.5 diameter because of price, and I don't want the truck sitting downhill much more than it does already. My front tires are only 24 inches tall. Decisions, decisions.... Sorry for the short novel but there is a lot of what if's goin through my head right now. TIA.
bluef100fe
bluef100fe

Back to top Go down

Hoosier tires.... Just can't seem to get where I want to be.... what should I do??? Empty Re: Hoosier tires.... Just can't seem to get where I want to be.... what should I do???

Post  richter69 April 10th 2013, 9:09 pm

if you cant get a stiffwall put a tube in it
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Hoosier tires.... Just can't seem to get where I want to be.... what should I do??? Empty Re: Hoosier tires.... Just can't seem to get where I want to be.... what should I do???

Post  bruno April 10th 2013, 9:19 pm

got a set of 3062 ...that will work out great on that 10" deal Idea

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 April 10th 2013, 9:24 pm

richter69 wrote:if you cant get a stiffwall put a tube in it
yep,i've only run M/T but the stiff wall i put on worked just like the old tires with tubes.i thought about a stiff wall and a tube Suspect cuz the damn things wont hold air! Laughing
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  79ford pickup April 10th 2013, 9:27 pm

since u got a truck like I do then u need to run a phoniex tire its the best tire for a pickup like ours I run a 31x12.2x15 if u run a stiff sidewall on a truck like ours it don't work at all I can run any tire then run a phoniex and ill pick up a tenth or more

79ford pickup

Back to top Go down

Post  bluef100fe April 10th 2013, 9:28 pm

Have tubes in the current set of tires... forgot to mention that....
bluef100fe
bluef100fe

Back to top Go down

Post  Larry Williams April 10th 2013, 10:12 pm

this winter i was talking to a very secessful NMRA racer about his tires. He uses a stiff sidewall and tubes. Almost no sidewall flex on takeoff even with the front end 4 feet in the air.
Larry Williams
Larry Williams

Back to top Go down

Post  powerstrokeace April 10th 2013, 10:31 pm

Your main problem is money! You have to work with what you all ready have if you don't want to get the wheels your want for your up grade. Best thing I can say is call
Carl Robinson at Mickey Thompson and weather you by their tires or someone else he will tell you the best thing you can do with what you have

Ace
powerstrokeace
powerstrokeace

Back to top Go down

Post  512Fairlane April 10th 2013, 10:43 pm

I run the Hoosiers with the stiff sidewall 29.5 x 11.5W without tubes. I like the stiff sidewall for my heavy car. With your truck I would think you would definitely want the stiff sidewall and maybe with tubes. I run a 12" wheel. The tread width on these are over 13" so a 10" wheel might be a little narrow.
512Fairlane
512Fairlane

Back to top Go down

Post  bluef100fe April 10th 2013, 10:44 pm

79ford pickup wrote:since u got a truck like I do then u need to run a phoniex tire its the best tire for a pickup like ours I run a 31x12.2x15 if u run a stiff sidewall on a truck like ours it don't work at all I can run any tire then run a phoniex and ill pick up a tenth or more

I will have to look up phoenix tires George.... thanks.
bluef100fe
bluef100fe

Back to top Go down

Post  79ford pickup April 10th 2013, 10:52 pm

yea u need to all the car guys can use all the tire but with trucks like us the phoniex is the best I stand ine up and hold it up there for 100 feet or so

79ford pickup

Back to top Go down

Post  bluef100fe April 10th 2013, 10:58 pm

bruno wrote:got a set of 3062 ...that will work out great on that 10" deal Idea

Nick id be more interested if they were W's. I know they are slightly taller than what I have but the tread is narrower... so im probably not gaining much... another reason I was looking at the hoosier's was there 29.5 tire is actually 30.6 diameter... more roll out longer contact patch etc... I wish hoosier made a 29.5/10.5W-15.
bluef100fe
bluef100fe

Back to top Go down

Post  bluef100fe April 10th 2013, 11:06 pm

512Fairlane wrote:I run the Hoosiers with the stiff sidewall 29.5 x 11.5W without tubes. I like the stiff sidewall for my heavy car. With your truck I would think you would definitely want the stiff sidewall and maybe with tubes. I run a 12" wheel. The tread width on these are over 13" so a 10" wheel might be a little narrow.

Yep that's exactly what im worried about.... although hoosier recommends their 29/12-15 for a 10 inch rim but again no stiff sidewall. Wish I could see what the 29.5/11.5w looks like on a 10 inch rim without buying them lol.
bluef100fe
bluef100fe

Back to top Go down

Post  bluef100fe April 10th 2013, 11:12 pm

Larry Williams wrote:this winter i was talking to a very secessful NMRA racer about his tires. He uses a stiff sidewall and tubes. Almost no sidewall flex on takeoff even with the front end 4 feet in the air.

Larry with my current setup the truck still flexes the sidewall hard at the hit... there is a video from two years ago in the chassis tech section showing this. I originally didn't run tubes but after most of a season of bracket racing the tires wouldn't hold air for more than a half hour. That's how I ended up with stiff sidewall slicks and tubes... hard to race with flat tires... Smile
bluef100fe
bluef100fe

Back to top Go down

Post  Larry Williams April 10th 2013, 11:42 pm

bluef100fe wrote:
Larry Williams wrote:this winter i was talking to a very secessful NMRA racer about his tires. He uses a stiff sidewall and tubes. Almost no sidewall flex on takeoff even with the front end 4 feet in the air.

Larry with my current setup the truck still flexes the sidewall hard at the hit... there is a video from two years ago in the chassis tech section showing this. I originally didn't run tubes but after most of a season of bracket racing the tires wouldn't hold air for more than a half hour. That's how I ended up with stiff sidewall slicks and tubes... hard to race with flat tires... Smile

I started running tubes when I got tired of the slicks going flat every few days. I tried stiff walls last year and was happy with them this year they will get tubes too.
Larry Williams
Larry Williams

Back to top Go down

Post  TravisRice April 11th 2013, 4:53 pm

The more wheel screws the stiffer the sidewall becomes ........load em up.

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 April 11th 2013, 4:54 pm

I never had any issues w the hoosiers losing air tubless, I did have issues with them hooking though.....went back to M/T problems solved.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick April 11th 2013, 5:43 pm

Rub 'em with soap.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bluef100fe April 12th 2013, 8:20 am

I soaped mine when I originally mounted them... lasted most of a season... then started losing air
bluef100fe
bluef100fe

Back to top Go down

Post  bluef100fe April 15th 2013, 9:34 pm

Well im torn between the hoosier 29/12-15, the phoenix 29.5/11.5-15, or m/t 29.5/10.5w-15... still don't know which to go with... summit racing has a fifty dollar rebate on the M/T's... or I could ask bruno what his 3062's are worth lol...
bluef100fe
bluef100fe

Back to top Go down

Post  79ford pickup April 15th 2013, 10:05 pm

I just ordered a new set of phoniex tires im telling u they would be the best on ur truck

79ford pickup

Back to top Go down

Post  bluef100fe April 15th 2013, 10:09 pm

George how long does a set last usually? Thing that stinks about them is they are the most expensive... just my luck like usual... lol
bluef100fe
bluef100fe

Back to top Go down

Post  79ford pickup April 16th 2013, 7:06 pm

I go through 2 sets a year if I run 2 or 3 times a month i know they are a lil higher but well worth the money like i said i gain a tenth with them over the others

79ford pickup

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 April 16th 2013, 8:05 pm

Ive ran the pheonix in the past w good results, put tubes in um though, the soap trick worked great until you put some passes on um then they leak like a bitch through the sidewall.

again the M/T's have always been the best for both my cars, but they are not as heavy as your truck.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno April 16th 2013, 9:02 pm

300 plus shipping ...let me ck the roll out for you

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next