BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

C4 trans question

+2
61coon
whitefield
6 posters

Go down

C4 trans question Empty C4 trans question

Post  whitefield April 11th 2013, 11:50 am

I have a customer that has a c4 in a rock crawler that is having an issue with the vent with fluid comming out when he gets it in a tight spot or is on a major incline. He has a line and reservoir mounted on the fire wall and it still coming out of it !
Has anyone had this problem before ?
Thanks
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

C4 trans question Empty Re: C4 trans question

Post  61coon April 11th 2013, 1:19 pm

It could be overfilled or overheating. Those are the most two common things that will make fluid come out the vent tube. A rock crawler is like a postal vehicle. They both build a lot of a heat in the trans. Reckon he has a trans cooler? If he does, I wonder if its big enough.
61coon
61coon

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 April 11th 2013, 1:28 pm

X2 ur correct Red heat or overfilling.
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield April 11th 2013, 2:17 pm

I have coverd all of those and the cooling is overkill for what he is doing in my opinion. The fluid temp is around 180 and doesn't get any higher . The fluid level is about a quart low as well . !

Maybe it is because the c4 is hooked to a chevy engine ! lol!

study Got any other suggestions ?
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield April 12th 2013, 6:37 pm

Idea Rolling Eyes Whats the fix Question or Suspect
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 April 12th 2013, 7:03 pm

id rig up a bigger tank thats baffled, make sure thenvent hose is hooked to the bottom where the fluid can drain back into the trans
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregaust April 13th 2013, 5:58 am

Just a long shot . What is line pressure? What is cooler line pressure ? Line pressure i'm thinking a gasket issue at the valvebody causing oil to foam up? Or cooler line flooding oil past the rear bush . Just maybe's ?? Weird issue with temps as ok.
What about move the breather ??

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power April 21st 2013, 11:03 pm

His situation is probably not the same as mine but just throwing it out there as something to think about... Are you 100% sure its coming from the vent tube?

My dad and I pulled the c4 out of his cougar a good 4 times, kept leaking. Thought it was the dipstick tube, thought it was a crack, thought it was a fitting, ect. It got to the point where our trans guy was under it on a lift with a light and mirror trying to find it. Ended up taking it completely apart, sandblasting the area(s) we thought it may have been coming from, pressure testing... Nothing, what the f really???

Found out the case and pump were different years, one was meant for an o-ring, the other was meant for a gasket. There was a little hole as well such as a return port, and the gasket went just around that. Drilled and tapped it, not a drop of fluid ever hit the ground again. Sweet relief!!! Surprised When leaking, the fluid came from the front of the trans but up top. It never spewed, it would just leak once warm and/or driven for a little. Slow, but it would leave a good sized puddle if it sat long enough. Hope he figures it out!
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down