BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gas primer for Alcohol motor?

+5
John Myrick
kim
racnrick
richter69
HorsinAround
9 posters

Go down

Gas primer for Alcohol motor? Empty Gas primer for Alcohol motor?

Post  HorsinAround April 18th 2013, 11:36 am

Is it necessary to squirt gas in the carb when starting an alcohol motor? Just curious as I plan to run alcohol in my new motor and have no experience with it.
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

http://www.frontpagefab.com

Back to top Go down

Gas primer for Alcohol motor? Empty Re: Gas primer for Alcohol motor?

Post  richter69 April 18th 2013, 12:38 pm

only when its real cold, get it warmed up and its good for the day. in warmer weather just pump it a couple times, start it and then do a burnout...... Very Happy
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  racnrick April 18th 2013, 12:41 pm

HorsinAround wrote:Is it necessary to squirt gas in the carb when starting an alcohol motor? Just curious as I plan to run alcohol in my new motor and have no experience with it.
I have started mine a few times without gas, BUT, it takes a lot of cranking to do it and then you can bet your oil is milked bad, so best is to start it with gas, that way it starts instantly.
When I first went to alcohol, I squirted gas in to get it running, usually only had to do this the first time to start it, after that the engine was warm enough to start it just on alcohol. That works fine if you have someone around to help, sometimes take a couple of squirts to keep it running the first time, if your at a NHRA track, they require someone to be in the car when it is started. If you are alone you squirt the gas, climb in, start it, it dies, you climb out, squirt it again, climb back in, repeat as necessary, Mad Then I bought the gas primer kit, which you can make up on your own with a small electric fuel pump, if you have an extra injector. It makes life a lot easier. Very Happy

Last edited by racnrick on April 18th 2013, 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Dang it, tree'd by Jon, while I was typeing my story,,,,,,,,)

racnrick

Back to top Go down

Post  kim April 18th 2013, 2:24 pm

it also takes a crap load longer to build heat into an engine thats on alcohol. With a dedicated gas primer system, its easier to start, cold or hot. Its also easier to build heat, to get coolant, oil, and sealing surfaces up to temp. Lots of people with dedicated primer systems use them to idle the car through pits, and up staging lanes. Decreasing the amount of alcohol wash in the cylinder when not loading the car.

kim

Back to top Go down

Post  John Myrick April 18th 2013, 2:39 pm

What kind of fuel pressure is being used on the primer ? I'm at 5lbs and the engine idles very high if I don't push the barrel valve open some. Is there a way to just run off gas without using any alky ?
John Myrick
John Myrick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 April 18th 2013, 6:35 pm

yes go to killer rons site across the top you will see a sqaure with primers in it click on it alot of info and 2 different type of primers
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  John Myrick April 18th 2013, 6:40 pm

I already have a primer Jim
John Myrick
John Myrick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 April 18th 2013, 7:14 pm

John Myrick wrote:What kind of fuel pressure is being used on the primer ? I'm at 5lbs and the engine idles very high if I don't push the barrel valve open some. Is there a way to just run off gas without using any alky ?

mine did the same thing, James told me just to feed it enough alky to bring the idle down some.....

IMO ifi its a carbed deal there is really no need for a dedicated primer setup, just trickle a few cap fulls of gas down the carb, it wont hurt to wait a little bit before you hit he switch.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround April 18th 2013, 7:46 pm

69F100 wrote:yes go to killer rons site across the top you will see a sqaure with primers in it click on it alot of info and 2 different type of primers

Killer rons? as in Rons fuel.com? I will probably be by myself most of the time when I get the truck to the track, so I'll need a way to do this from the drivers seat.
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

http://www.frontpagefab.com

Back to top Go down

Post  John Myrick April 18th 2013, 7:52 pm

http://www.killerrons.com
John Myrick
John Myrick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 April 18th 2013, 7:54 pm

HorsinAround wrote:
69F100 wrote:yes go to killer rons site across the top you
will see a sqaure with primers in it click on it alot of info and 2 different type of primers

Killer rons? as in Rons fuel.com? I will probably be by myself most of the time when I get the truck to the track, so I'll need a way to do this from the drivers seat.

go to killerrons.com i am on my phone or i would post the link if that dont work google killer rons flying tolit
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 April 18th 2013, 9:23 pm

first off i've never ran alky with a carb.....but i do run enderle injection.i squirt it with gas for cold starts and thats it. when it starts and runs a few seconds i lean it with the shut off valve all it can stand and let it run to 120-140*,no more than 3-5 minutes. after that i let it set a few minutes before i make a pass.if the weather is cool it takes longer but a leanout is the easy way to make heat fast with alky. some folks use a valve in a vac line with a carb to lean it out. Smile
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon April 19th 2013, 6:25 am

X2,I mounted a 12v solenoid behind the carb plenum w/my SV-1. Not hard making heat w/leanout.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt April 19th 2013, 11:55 am

Gas primer for Alcohol motor? Krons_zpsaa48463b
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down