BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OIL DRAINBACK

+7
342g
bbf-falcon
David Willingham
Northwest outlaw
the Coug
maverick
XYPROSTREET
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

OIL DRAINBACK - Page 2 Empty Re: OIL DRAINBACK

Post  XYPROSTREET October 24th 2009, 11:11 pm

Thanks very much Chuck that's exactly what i wanted to know and very well explained, sorry for all the questions just want to be certain.

XYPROSTREET

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck stevens October 25th 2009, 3:25 pm

Glad I could help. I'll collect my "fee". a case of XXXX, next time i'm down your way. Very Happy

chuck stevens

http://E-MAIL= stevensracingent@aol.com

Back to top Go down

Post  XYPROSTREET October 25th 2009, 10:46 pm

Done deal Chuck, XXXX is Queensland beer here in Adelaide we got Coopers heaps better.

XYPROSTREET

Back to top Go down

OIL DRAINBACK - Page 2 Empty which block?

Post  hienergy557 October 26th 2009, 6:16 pm

chuck stevens wrote:If you look at the roller cam bearings...you'll notice that there are NO oil holes in them. They block the oil passage when they are pulled in...so why would you need to block (or restrict) the holes again? As to the lifter bores...is there something wrong with them? Are they too big? Do you enjoy spending money to "fix" something that is not bad? Is there a reason to bush the lifter bores?

What block are you using? A passanger car block or the A460 block.
hienergy557
hienergy557

Back to top Go down

Post  XYPROSTREET October 26th 2009, 7:49 pm

Yeh it's a D1VE-A2B Passenger car block 4 bolt splayed cap conversion with roller cam bearings fitted.

Good to hear from another Aussie.

XYPROSTREET

Back to top Go down

Post  hienergy557 October 26th 2009, 8:07 pm

chuck stevens wrote:When using a stock block in a racing application it is not uncommon to bush the right bank of lifter bores if, A) they are worn excessively and/or B) when using a SFT or roller cam. You are correct, it's for oil control. (Do not do it with a hydraulic lifter cam). The reason to bush only the right side is that it's where the main oil gallery is. The left bank oiling can easily be control with a restrictor in the tower to limit oil flow to the left bank. As to the restrictor, a .125 hole is plenty large, a .090 is often used and, a .060 can work IF the bottom end clearances are tight. It often requires a change, or 2, to get it right for your engine. Burnt pushrod tips and smoking valve springs would indicate that the restrictor is to small. If you decide to bush the pight bank, it's advisable to drill the bushings corectly before installing them. If you drill to high or low you won't get oil thru the lifters to the top end. Oh, the cam, since you've got the roller bearings, be sure the cam is ground on a 8620 or 9310 billet. The rollers will eat anything softer.

Chuck explained it perfectly. When you mentioned SVO instructions I thought you might have a A460 block. The A block oil is routed differently so you don't have to bush the lifter bores unless they are worn oversize.
It looks like you have it sorted. These thing cost us too much money to not get them right.
Also you said you knocked the front roller bearing out to check. Just be carefull re-installing that bearing, I think it was Charlie who said "they should be pulled in with a dedicated tool, not pounded in"
Cheers Colin.
hienergy557
hienergy557

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy October 26th 2009, 10:22 pm

AS Chuck said, It's an oil groove put in the enlarged front cam bore which mimmiks the one in a regular cam bearing.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane October 30th 2009, 12:40 am

XYPROSTREET wrote:Hi All, just wondering whether you think the front of the block oil drainback mods would still be neccesary on a front pickup sump.
(Drag Use ).

Thanks
Bottom line: it can't hurt.

Paul
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane October 30th 2009, 12:48 am

XYPROSTREET wrote:...would the front cam hole to dizzy still be exposed with a roller cam bearing installed or would i have to knock it out i haven't got the block at home to check?

Thanks
The oil gets from the cam oiling journal to the distributor shaft via the babbit camshaft bearing which has a groove in it so as to connect the two galleries. And when you replace the babbit bearing with the caged roller bearing, you lose that groove that connects thte two galleries. And so you need to physically grind the goove into the #1 cam bearing bore.
chuck stevens wrote:If you have roller cam bearings you must grind a shallow groove, to connect the oil passages, in the front cam bearing bore BEFORE installing the front roller cam bearing.
Yes, and to view the Ford Racing instructions, click HERE.

Paul
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum