BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flow tool vs solinoid flow

5 posters

Go down

Flow tool  vs solinoid flow Empty Flow tool vs solinoid flow

Post  kjett June 20th 2013, 9:03 am

Sitting here and thinking of using a flow tool to set my fuel pressure ( I know, thinking is bad, right?). Anyway, I stepped up from using the NOS Cheater solinoids with a big shot plate, to the big shot solinoids and -6 nitrous feed line. Long story short, a bad tune due to improper fuel pressure and not pulling enough timing led to a cracked block and a complete rebuild. So with the new motor ready to go, I'm paranoid about messing this one up, which got me thinking. I bought a flow tool to make sure my free flowing pressures will be set correctly, but this doesn't take into account the solinoid oriface nor the holes in the plate. Is it worth the time to hold the plate in a bucket and flow through that to see if the fuel pressure remains close to the same when the system is on? I know the correct answer is to send the whole system out to be flowed, but time is short as is funds at the moment, so just looking to see if I'm making wise choices or just wasting my time.
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Flow tool  vs solinoid flow Empty Re: Flow tool vs solinoid flow

Post  dfree383 June 20th 2013, 9:16 am

Run it on motor only untill you can do it right?

You've already upped your N/A Hp to close to what you had spraying with the small motor, stop being in such a rush.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett June 20th 2013, 9:32 am

Thats already the plan for now until I get the chassis setup back in control. Not only do I have a new motor, but I've made many new chassis changes. I want to do this right, which is why I'm thinking about flowing the whole system and not just up to the solinoid.
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 June 20th 2013, 10:20 am

get the flow tool Steve sells, its bad ass......
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett June 20th 2013, 10:26 am

Thats the tool I have. Just wondering if I should verify what I get through the tool is the same that comes out of the plate.
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 June 20th 2013, 10:34 am

youd be better off sending the entire system to steve or the likes and getting it flowed and blueprinted along with tunes that wint melt your stuff. The plate may have issues you wont see by checking stuff with a bucket. The nos side usually has more issues than the fuel side also.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett June 20th 2013, 10:37 am

Makes sense. I'm still new to this whole nitrous thing, part of why I burned my junk up last time. Guess I'll have to get with Steve and send a box out in the mail....
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 June 20th 2013, 11:23 am

best thing to do imo
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  bigjohn2007 June 21st 2013, 4:31 pm

richter69 wrote:best thing to do imo

x2
bigjohn2007
bigjohn2007
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Induction-Solutions July 2nd 2013, 1:16 pm

Thanks guys for sharing your input to Karl. Some know and some learn that having a system flowed save a lot of money in the long run. The clean tunes and tech help alone save added runs and trips to track that many make over and over and usually still don't get where they really need to be to have a good clean tune..

As far as the conversation on flowing the entire system versus just the reg will likely not help you out. Most all of the tuning advice you ever get will be flowing one side of your fuel pressure regulator thru a set jet size. If you flow after the solenoid the pressure drop you see will likely scare you to death.. There is a pretty good pressure drop across the solenoid if you try and flow that side as well.. Hope this helps.. SJ

Brooksville, Fl. 34604
Shop 352-593-5900
Cell 815-341-8853
www.InductionSolutions.com
Induction-Solutions
Induction-Solutions
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

http://www.InductionSolutions.com

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett July 2nd 2013, 3:33 pm

Steve,

The last part you mentioned is what I was wondering about. I know with my fuel pressure on the motor side, I set the pressure knowing what the carb needs as the motor is running. Setting the fuel pressure with the tool and not going through the solinoid seems like setting pressure with an open ended hose with a jet to give some restriction. I would think the amount of restriction seen going through the -6 line to the solinoid, down the the much smaller -3 (or -4, can't remember) line feeding the jet would be much greater and actually make the pressure different where it counts. Then again, I've been known to over think stuff...
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum