BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What does it cost to redo a set of Dove heads?

+8
the Coug
IDT-572
c.evans
richter69
cletus66
westsideford
rmcomprandy
jasonf
12 posters

Go down

What does it cost to redo a set of Dove heads? Empty What does it cost to redo a set of Dove heads?

Post  jasonf October 22nd 2009, 5:21 pm

They are already ported but very old. They would need new larger valves, seats, guides etc. This is just a mild street engine I want to put in my 56. I have a dual plane intake I got from Lem.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

What does it cost to redo a set of Dove heads? Empty Re: What does it cost to redo a set of Dove heads?

Post  rmcomprandy October 22nd 2009, 6:54 pm

That depends largely upon the condition of the heads to be done.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

What does it cost to redo a set of Dove heads? Empty Re: What does it cost to redo a set of Dove heads?

Post  jasonf October 22nd 2009, 7:04 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:That depends largely upon the condition of the heads to be done.

I am curious as to what you mean Randy. I am not expert but I did redo heads in school so I have an understanding as to what is involved. Are you referring to something like if the valves pounded the seats out too much or something? If you replaced the valves, guides, seats and springs that is pretty much it for moving parts. It has moroso (?) rocker arm studs with BBC stamped steel rockers on it.

I can understand there is a difference in parts depending on the purpose so that is why I mentioned it is a mild street build. It currently has a mild crane hyd cam in it. I want this car to be a nice cruiser that is not too loud and rumbly. I have other cars for that. I wanted the 460 because I would like to put a hitch on it so I can tow my T-bucket.

The last time I build some D3 heads was along time ago when parts where still hard to find and expensive. I am basically looking for a comparison vs just buying new heads like Lem has on sale.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  westsideford October 22nd 2009, 9:57 pm

I paid about $400 and I had all the parts. The valve pockes were back cut, spring seats were machined, set up for PC seals plus new guides. When I ported my heads. I ground off all most all the materal around & including most of the old guide. They also checked the relationship of the guide to rockerarm..

If I added up the $400 plus parts, I could of just saved up a lil more and purchaced some TFS and been ahead of the game.. Oh well..
westsideford
westsideford

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf October 22nd 2009, 10:18 pm

westsideford wrote:

If I added up the $400 plus parts, I could of just saved up a lil more and purchaced some TFS and been ahead of the game.. Oh well..

Well that is what I am wondering.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy October 23rd 2009, 10:07 am

OK, this is what I mean!
What are the surfaces like...? Are they straight and need milling...? How much...?
Are there any broken bolts in the threaded holes which need to be extracted...?
Are any of the guides worn enough that they won't accept a guideliner...?
How was the PREVIOUS work done and will any of it interfere with what now needs to be done...?

All those are conditions of THAT particular pair of heads which MUST be considered.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf October 23rd 2009, 10:11 am

Thanks for the clarification Randy. It is much appreciated. The heads are still on my truck and I still drive it occasionally . There were no bad threads etc when I put them on but that was along time ago so who knows what it would be like now.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cletus66 October 23rd 2009, 11:50 am

I understand where Randy is coming from. My machinist had an abandoned set of FE heads at The Shop. This was around 10 years ago, and he had installed hardened exhaust seats, done a valve job, etc. He just wanted to move 'em out, so he sold them to me for 400 bucks. I bolted them onto the 390 in my pickup truck and drove them for a few years. After the junkyard shortblock became an excessive oil consumer, I built a fresh 390 and took the heads back to have the springs upgraded for the bigger cam I had in mind. Twisted Evil After they were freshened up again, and it was determined that new guides were necessary along with other work, I was out another 400 bucks. My poor math skills put this set of 70's 360 heads up into the 800 dollar range, while new Edelbrocks were hovering around the 1200 dollar mark. But, they are still runnin' smoothly in my '66 Galaxie. Laughing

What does it cost to redo a set of Dove heads? 81MustangRacecar102

Last edited by cletus66 on October 24th 2009, 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf October 23rd 2009, 4:30 pm

[quote="cletus66"] My poor math skills put this set of 70's 360 heads up into the 800 dollar range, while new Edelbrocks were hovering aroung the 1200 dollar mark. But, they are still runnin' smoothly in my '66 Galaxie. Laughing

For that kinda money I could get into some PROCOMP heads. JK. lol! lol! lol! lol!
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cletus66 October 23rd 2009, 9:47 pm

[quote="jasonf"]
cletus66 wrote: My poor math skills put this set of 70's 360 heads up into the 800 dollar range, while new Edelbrocks were hovering aroung the 1200 dollar mark. But, they are still runnin' smoothly in my '66 Galaxie. Laughing

For that kinda money I could get into some PROCOMP heads. JK. lol! lol! lol! lol!

Oh you done did it now !!! What a Face Laughing
cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 October 23rd 2009, 10:28 pm

what?
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans October 23rd 2009, 11:38 pm

To answer the question, I'm in the cylinder head business and even at my cost on valves, valve springs, retainers, guides, locks, studs, guideplates, seals and etc., I think it's a cost prohibitive deal. One reason why, is that you have to spend XX amount of dollars to just restore a 100,000 mile head to like new condition. Then after that, you got to spend time and money porting them, in order to get them to perform as good as most of these new aftermarket heads out of the box.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again, but in terms of aftermarket parts choices for the BB Ford, (including heads) we have never had so good as we have it right now!

Charlie Evans

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cletus66 October 24th 2009, 11:25 am

c.evans wrote:To answer the question, I'm in the cylinder head business and even at my cost on valves, valve springs, retainers, guides, locks, studs, guideplates, seals and etc., I think it's a cost prohibitive deal. One reason why, is that you have to spend XX amount of dollars to just restore a 100,000 mile head to like new condition. Then after that, you got to spend time and money porting them, in order to get them to perform as good as most of these new aftermarket heads out of the box.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again, but in terms of aftermarket parts choices for the BB Ford, (including heads) we have never had so good as we have it right now!

Charlie Evans

BULLSEYE !!!! Cool

And now, I have a set of DOVE heads that I bought from Chilly with 1 port ported by Scotty J so I can copy it, and I don't know what to do with them. I guess I'll do just like Blake, and spend some free time to personally challenge myself to see what I can get out of 'em.

Never before published photo of my car next to his........ Embarassed What a Face

What does it cost to redo a set of Dove heads? 81MustangRacecar067

This is with the D2VE heads he was running at the time just to mess with folks.......... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I know the SCJ's I got from your cousin/brother/uncle/ roommate/ never met him before/sibling/father's cousin's former roomate/ buddy/ acquaintance.................LEM....... will be safe and sound while I pursue my own vision quest to see what I can do with obsolete junk. But I'm a lazy drunk, so they might end up on a pickup truck motor so I can do whatever it is drunks do with SCJ heads...... Twisted Evil Laughing bounce
cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf October 25th 2009, 12:31 am

cletus66 wrote:
I know the SCJ's I got from your cousin/brother/uncle/ roommate/ never met him before/sibling/father's cousin's former roomate/ buddy/ acquaintance.................LEM....... will be safe and sound while I pursue my own vision quest to see what I can do with obsolete junk. But I'm a lazy drunk, so they might end up on a pickup truck motor so I can do whatever it is drunks do with SCJ heads...... Twisted Evil Laughing bounce

Well have another one for me!What does it cost to redo a set of Dove heads? Baby20bottle-1
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 October 25th 2009, 8:42 pm

And now, I have a set of DOVE heads that I bought from Chilly with 1 port ported by Scotty J so I can copy it, and I don't know what to do with them. I guess I'll do just like Blake, and spend some free time to personally challenge myself to see what I can get out of 'em.

Never before published photo of my car next to his........ Embarassed What a Face

What does it cost to redo a set of Dove heads? 81MustangRacecar067

This is with the D2VE heads he was running at the time just to mess with folks.......... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Good times Cool Laughing Can't wait to get back to Windy.................. Smile
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug October 25th 2009, 9:18 pm

Cletus what were you doing while Blake was making that run eating a hamburer and fries????

I think you were a smidge late off the tree..... Sleep affraid
or were you letting him get a head start so you could pass him at the end???

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  DJOHAGIN October 26th 2009, 12:40 am

Shhhhhhh. C'mon Blake and Randy, don't let the new members know that D2VE heads can perform. Mad

I'm buying them all up from the noobs for what they would get for scrap valve. pig

Laughing

Dave

DJOHAGIN

Back to top Go down

Post  cletus66 October 26th 2009, 5:56 am

the Coug wrote:Cletus what were you doing while Blake was making that run eating a hamburer and fries????

Randy

I think that was my second test n tune run ever in that car. I had around a 2.5 second reaction time on purpose just in case the car went left/right instead of straight. Turns out the car goes straight. (and slow). Laughing Laughing But I have the cure for that now. Twisted Evil

What does it cost to redo a set of Dove heads? 100_6233

And I still need to do something with the DOVEs. Automotive A.D.D. strikes again. What a Face bounce lol!
cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

Post  RapidRuss November 6th 2009, 1:17 pm

cletus66 wrote:
the Coug wrote:Cletus what were you doing while Blake was making that run eating a hamburer and fries????

Randy

I think that was my second test n tune run ever in that car. I had around a 2.5 second reaction time on purpose just in case the car went left/right instead of straight. Turns out the car goes straight. (and slow). Laughing Laughing But I have the cure for that now. Twisted Evil

What does it cost to redo a set of Dove heads? 100_6233

And I still need to do something with the DOVEs. Automotive A.D.D. strikes again. What a Face bounce lol!

Come on Jeff....Tell um the truth !! You were just taking it easy out of the gate ..As so you didnt shake up that bottle of Miller lite between your legs !!! Laughing
RapidRuss
RapidRuss

Back to top Go down

Post  The Mad Porter November 8th 2009, 6:24 pm

By the time you source the necessary parts to rebuild your castings
pay for machine work to add larger valves and refresh the castings
port them to flow properly
etc, etc, etc

You will spend damned near a grand or better and then have to address the issue of port work.

We do a large valve cylinder head package stage 2 ported to 320 / 330 intake and 190 exhaust. New s/s valves, generic spring package, rocker studs, guideplates, p/c viton seals on topped guides with bronze guide liners etc etc.

Doves are $1,625.00 exchange with a reduced return shipping cost.
D3VE's are $1,595.00 outright

Small valve budget versions are around a grand...

These castings will easily support more power than most of the clients who buy them will ever want to make.
Max effort iron castings are supporting 730 HP + for the class racing crowd.

Though not scj heads which are on sale from various vendors, myself included, iron heads have a mystique and a place for many clients who wish to crack some chevy boys heads together with the lowley iron heads...

I have more work than i can do most times in spite of the frequent "it isn't worth the effort or cost to redo iron heads" dribble i have been seeing more frequently of late. Shocked

Those lowley iron heads make more power than the flow numbers say they oughta...

afro
The Mad Porter
The Mad Porter

http://www.reincarnation-automotive.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf November 8th 2009, 8:02 pm

The Mad Porter wrote:By the time you source the necessary parts to rebuild your castings
pay for machine work to add larger valves and refresh the castings
port them to flow properly
etc, etc, etc

You will spend damned near a grand or better and then have to address the issue of port work.

We do a large valve cylinder head package stage 2 ported to 320 / 330 intake and 190 exhaust. New s/s valves, generic spring package, rocker studs, guideplates, p/c viton seals on topped guides with bronze guide liners etc etc.

Doves are $1,625.00 exchange with a reduced return shipping cost.
D3VE's are $1,595.00 outright

Small valve budget versions are around a grand...

These castings will easily support more power than most of the clients who buy them will ever want to make.
Max effort iron castings are supporting 730 HP + for the class racing crowd.

Though not scj heads which are on sale from various vendors, myself included, iron heads have a mystique and a place for many clients who wish to crack some chevy boys heads together with the lowley iron heads...

I have more work than i can do most times in spite of the frequent "it isn't worth the effort or cost to redo iron heads" dribble i have been seeing more frequently of late. Shocked

Those lowley iron heads make more power than the flow numbers say they oughta...

afro

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  longroofracer November 10th 2009, 11:11 pm

jasonf wrote:They are already ported but very old. They would need new larger valves, seats, guides etc. This is just a mild street engine I want to put in my 56. I have a dual plane intake I got from Lem.

I think that some of the responses overlooked that these are already ported, and going on a mild build. If you put half the cost of new aluminum heads into freshening these, you will likely be happy with the results. With correct parts selection, towing will be no problem.

It is easy to get caught up in the "for a little bit more trap" these days. Most of us start off with a stock 429 or 460, and have to decide where our build takes us. Some of us stop with a stroker, some with aluminum heads, some when they can't afford that 9 second safety equipment, and several just keep going. Each of us need to determine where we wish to go or stop with our builds, and if it is worth it only matters to us.

I see nothing wrong with investing a few dollars in a 429 or 460 with iron heads for the time being, and building something bigger for later. Mine will make a nice backup for later.
longroofracer
longroofracer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down