BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need engine sap info

+5
dfree383
Mark Miller
rmcomprandy
kim
bbf-falcon
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Need engine sap info Empty Need engine sap info

Post  bbf-falcon August 29th 2013, 11:53 am

My nephew has a 99 V6 Mustang 5speed that has a blown engine.He wants to do a 5.0 swap w/carb. So my Question IS. Will he have to switch subframe ? and if so will one from 94-97 5.0 work? And also can he buy a NON return elec. pump that will bolt in his 99 tank? If you can tell me anything else about this swap that will make it easier,please help. I'm giving him a engine from a 89 Grand Marquis.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Need engine sap info Empty Re: Need engine sap info

Post  kim August 29th 2013, 1:42 pm

go to a pick and pull and get a replacement 6 cylinder and save him and you lots of headaches. The engine from the 89 is going to be a killer 200hp on a good day. The stock 6 cyl was 300.

The computer controls the dash, your going to need the ECM, and that carbed 89 engine isn't going to make that computer happy.

If butchering for an all out drag car and going to replace the dash with a few crucial autometer gauges, using a stand alone ignition, then go at it.

kim

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy August 29th 2013, 7:30 pm

I think I might find a way to install a 5.4L from a wreck in his car.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon August 29th 2013, 8:58 pm

That's the kind of answers i'm lookin for guy's. I'm just furnishing the engine ,he's doing the work .He's just a young boy w/low budget and wanting to get his car running.Thx and what you are saying sounds logical.Very Happy

Kim,I think his V6 is only 190hp.Smile 

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller August 30th 2013, 1:30 am

Rick,i would go to a parts store and look up motor mounts for a 84 Mustang with 3.8 and see if they look the same as the 99 3.8 motor mounts.I'm pretty positive the 84 Mustang with the 3.8 was the same K-Member as the 5.0 cars.I'm not sure about the 99 K-Member though.I'm positive on the 79-93 Fox bodies the only K-Member that wouldn't accept the the 5.0 was the inline 6 K-Member.

Later Mark.

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller August 30th 2013, 1:34 am

bbf-falcon wrote:That's the kind of answers i'm lookin for guy's. I'm just furnishing the engine ,he's doing the work .He's just a young boy w/low budget and wanting to get his car running.Thx and what you are saying sounds logical.Very Happy

Kim,I think his V6 is only 190hp.Smile 
That horsepower rating sounds right,the 2011 and up 3.7 V-6 in the Mustang is rated at 300 horsepower.The 3.7 is nothing like the 3.8 though totally different engine.

Later Mark.

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 August 30th 2013, 2:33 am

Save the kid a lot of hassle and get him a replacement 3.8....... Especially if its the kids daily transportation. 

What your doing could get him in trouble if he hits a road stop inspection.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon August 30th 2013, 10:34 am

dfree383 wrote:Save the kid a lot of hassle and get him a replacement 3.8....... Especially if its the kids daily transportation. 

Dave,this is not my idea what so ever.We've all tried to tell him to get another 3.8. He ask me if he could buy the 5.0 and I told him if he really was dead set that the engine was his. So,i've done my part w/advise and now it's time to grow up and learn some things like we all did.

Thx Mark for the tech help;) 

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield August 30th 2013, 11:17 am

Rick , This conversion isn't hard to do ! Take a look at this video8)
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbYnwggzajo
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech August 30th 2013, 12:52 pm

You can buy a carbed pickup for that tank but you will need an external pump. The swap isn't all that hard but the cost will rise quickly if he's not flush with $$$. I think the SN95 k-members were the same for V6 and V8. You will be into some wiring work as well.
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller August 30th 2013, 11:19 pm

bbf-falcon wrote:
dfree383 wrote:Save the kid a lot of hassle and get him a replacement 3.8....... Especially if its the kids daily transportation. 

Dave,this is not my idea what so ever.We've all tried to tell him to get another 3.8. He ask me if he could buy the 5.0 and  I told him if he really was dead set that the engine was his. So,i've done my part w/advise and now it's time to grow up and learn some things like we all did.  

Thx Mark for the tech help;) 
No problem i don't know much but i know a little bit!!!!Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  466cj August 31st 2013, 7:55 pm

1999 Mustang 3.8l is 190 hp, 1989 Grand Marquis 5.0l is rated 150 hp. That Marquis engine has one of the most restrictive heads Ford ever put on a 302. It also has no valve reliefs in the pistons. After doing everything to swap over it will only impress to about 2,000 rpm vs. the 3.8l . If he has not money all this swap will do is make it worse. Reading between the lines sounds like he wants the V8 and I would too, but the one he is looking at is a real dog and will be more headache and $$$ to make work than just replacing the stock 3.8l.

466cj

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon September 1st 2013, 12:08 am

Well guy's,all i really ask for was the info for the swap,hell I know it's a dog of a engine. I guess I should have mentioned that a friend of his gave him some 87 5.0 H.O. heads and a 303 cam, and he's buying a new small Pro Systems carb,so when we get it in the car it will still be fun. It's not going to be a drag car fgs. Thx for the help and comments.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  466cj September 1st 2013, 8:18 pm

OK. 99 k member won't work with 5.0l. '96 up is v-6 and mod. 94-95 was v6 and 5.0l. Best options are 94-95 k or after market k. Need flywheel/clutch/bellhousing for a 94/95 5.0l as input shaft is longer on post '93 and different starter location between v6 and 5.0l. Front cover/water pump/accessory brackets would be 94-95 style or whatever you can make work. 94-95 5.0l engine mounts. Change over to return type fuel system and add a fuel regulator (fuel pump, return line, regulator). Use a fused relay and an oil pressure switch (like from a vega) to run the fuel pump.

Now with a cut off wheel and welder other options can be had, but above is what the bolt together guys would be looking to do.

466cj

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon September 4th 2013, 12:44 am

466cj wrote:OK. 99 k member won't work with 5.0l. '96 up is v-6 and mod. 94-95 was v6 and 5.0l. Best options are 94-95 k or after market k. Need flywheel/clutch/bellhousing for a 94/95 5.0l as input shaft is longer on post '93 and different starter location between v6 and 5.0l. Front cover/water pump/accessory brackets would be 94-95 style or whatever you can make work. 94-95 5.0l engine mounts. Change over to return type fuel system and add a fuel regulator (fuel pump, return line, regulator). Use a fused relay and an oil pressure switch (like from a vega) to run the fuel pump.

Now with a cut off wheel and welder other options can be had, but above is what the bolt together guys would be looking to do.
Thank you. Thats the answers to my questions. We have gathered most of those parts in the last few days.Wink 

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 September 4th 2013, 6:33 am

kim wrote:go to a pick and pull and get a replacement 6 cylinder and save him and you lots of headaches.  The engine from the 89 is going to be a killer 200hp on a good day.  The stock 6 cyl was 300.

The computer controls the dash, your going to need the ECM, and that carbed 89 engine isn't going to make that computer happy.

If butchering for an all out drag car and going to replace the dash with a few crucial autometer gauges, using a stand alone ignition, then go at it.
+2 Save both of you the headache. You could run into some obd2 ecm problems that are worse than making the motor fit in the car. At least it a manual trans, so you should be ok there. Plus the gas mileage and power won't be any better, running 99 V6 cores should be cheap too.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon September 5th 2013, 7:15 pm

You guy's are missing the point here. NO one has mentioned PERFORMANCE. We are just getting a young boy w/low budget something to drive.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  kim September 5th 2013, 8:40 pm

then the cheapest way to do that is get a plug and play 3.8 from a pick and pull for a few $100.00

kim

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon September 5th 2013, 8:50 pm

Cheapest way is the way we did it. Everything was free.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 September 6th 2013, 12:29 am

bbf-falcon wrote:You guy's are missing the point here. NO one has mentioned PERFORMANCE. We are just getting a young boy w/low budget something to drive.
If it was a non OBD2 car you would get alot more go for it's. Did you not mention E303 cam and main transpartation? I don't think anybody is trying to rain on the parade, just trying to be helpful. I am sure it can be done, but the pick u part engine will be alot easier. Just my .02 cents

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 September 6th 2013, 12:36 am

466cj wrote:1999 Mustang 3.8l is 190 hp, 1989 Grand Marquis 5.0l is rated 150 hp. That Marquis engine has one of the most restrictive heads Ford ever put on a 302. It also has no valve reliefs in the pistons. After doing everything to swap over it will only impress to about 2,000 rpm vs. the 3.8l . If he has not money all this swap will do is make it worse. Reading between the lines sounds like he wants the V8 and I would too, but the one he is looking at is a real dog and will be more headache and $$$ to make work than just replacing the stock 3.8l.
The headache may start here? Are you going to have piston to vale clearance, with the E303?

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  466cj September 7th 2013, 12:36 am

Installed straight up and stock 1.6 rocker ratio should be fine. I think everyone should give him a break on what he is doing. Dropping a V-8 in a car when you are a teen to drive around in is as American as apple pie and hot chicks. So what it will be OBD-0 get some aftermarket gauges and problem solved. Carb, no cats, a little lope in the idle, some bark in the exhaust, manual transmission... will be a fun ride and some can deal with carb. on a daily driver.

True technically not supposed to defeat the emissions stuff, but is only an issue if you live someplace that checks emissions. Are plenty of cars down here done up just the way this one will and are driven everyday, everywhere.

466cj

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon September 7th 2013, 7:55 am

We got it running and it purrs like a kitten. Thx for help.Wink 

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller September 8th 2013, 12:33 am

bbf-falcon wrote:We got it running and it purrs like a kitten. Thx for help.Wink 
Rick,good to hear you got it running did you have to change the K-Member?

Later Mark.

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon September 8th 2013, 7:28 am

No,Had to make 1 engine mount and used the 3.8 k member. Thx for your positive help Mark. Pretty simple swap really.Smile 

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next