BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winter Prep!

+6
schmitty
Rich Osmond
bigblok2000ranger
richter69
Dave C.
t-bird racer
10 posters

Go down

Winter Prep! Empty Winter Prep!

Post  t-bird racer September 20th 2013, 5:06 pm

So what does everyone do for their winter Prep???  Drain water and add antifreeze?  Leave it drained and Dry?  I also heard of some using
windshield washer fluid or RV antifreeze.  Whats your routines??

Do you drain the fuel out and spray with wd-40,  or do you just leave it and start it up every other week of so throughout the winter?  

It you don't keep it in running order do you back the rockers off?  

Just wondering what everyone thinks!
t-bird racer
t-bird racer

Back to top Go down

Winter Prep! Empty Re: Winter Prep!

Post  Dave C. September 22nd 2013, 10:02 am

Tear it down and make it better.

Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 22nd 2013, 10:33 am

thats the spirit......
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger September 22nd 2013, 12:43 pm

I have petcocks in the block so I pull the diaper off drain all the water at the block, pull lower radiator hose, pull valve covers and loosen all rocker arms and put girdles on shelf.

Even with my old mild .650 cam in my 466 leaving the pressure on the rocker arms ruined the valve springs by leaving them over winter.
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Winter Prep! Empty Winter Prep

Post  Rich Osmond September 22nd 2013, 1:47 pm

I used to worry about this when I lived in Chicago, so I moved to Houston where we race year round!

A few things I did when I lived above the Mason Dixon line:
1) Drain water from system and fill with 50/50 mix of water and antifreeze. Circulate with pump to assure you have all the water mixed with antifreeze. This helps reduce corrosion and assures a water pocket won't freeze (my brother lost a good block this way...).
2) Remove carb, disassemble and clean with WD40, reassemble.
3) Remove sparks plugs and spray WD40 in each cylinder while spinning the engine over. Re-install spark plugs.
4) Back off the rocker arms
5) Drain fuel system. Remove pump and regulator, disassemble and clean/lubricate with WD40.

Now what to do with the rest of the car......

Rich Osmond

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty September 22nd 2013, 2:54 pm

bigblok2000ranger wrote:
Even with my old mild .650 cam in my 466 leaving the pressure on the rocker arms ruined the valve springs by leaving them over winter.
I would like to see the proof that this is what caused the spring failure.  I have yet to back off my rockers at any time and haven't had a spring failure yet because of this. Cycles and heat are what weaken springs, not just compression.
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 22nd 2013, 3:17 pm

^^^^^ agreed. I do back mine off though in the winter though, and through the racing season the motor gets turned over 90 degrees every week. this last winter I didnt back um off just rotated like I do during the racing season.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 September 22nd 2013, 3:26 pm

backing the rocker arms off will help keep rats and things like moister from getting inside the cylinders but have herd of some putting nurf footballs in the collector to keep the pest out.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans September 22nd 2013, 4:02 pm

69F100 wrote:backing the rocker arms off will help keep rats and things like moister from getting inside the cylinders but have herd of some putting nurf footballs in the collector to keep the pest out.
The purpose of the nerf footballs in the collectors is to keep the moisture and condensation from rusting the ductile iron seats, (primarily the exhaust seat) and from allowing rust to form on the cylinder walls.

Hope this helps,
Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 22nd 2013, 7:36 pm

they keep the mice out too, or at least you will see fluff on the ground as they chew their way in.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon September 23rd 2013, 8:01 am

X2 what Schmitty said imo. I like backing mine off though just to keep the valves all closed. I tape SOFTBALLS in the header collectors. Carb comes off and cleaned and sprayed and put back in box. All the water removed by removing large A460 block plugs.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger September 25th 2013, 8:38 pm

schmitty wrote:
bigblok2000ranger wrote:
I would like to see the proof that this is what caused the spring failure.  I have yet to back off my rockers at any time and haven't had a spring failure yet because of this.  Cycles and heat are what weaken springs, not just compression.
I will define what I meant a little, I had several springs that lost their pressure. None actually broke. I replaced them with the same spring and backed off the rockers the next winter and no issues come spring.
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty September 25th 2013, 8:42 pm

Did you measure the pressure before hibernation and then after, and how did you know that the only ones that failed were ones that were compressed?
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  David Cole September 25th 2013, 9:07 pm

My shop is not heated so:

I start out by getting the engine hot.  210-220°.  Just before shut down I use a marine engine fogging spray directly into the throttle body.  Shut down.  Let it cool till the next day.  Drain the rad and block (petcock on each side).  Add a pint or so antifreeze to the rad as I can't get every last bit of water out of it.   Drain vac pump and radiator puke tanks

Drain fuel cell and main fuel lines.  Spray cell/lines with WD 40.  Blow compressed air and then WD40 through all injection nozzles, lines and then barrel valve.  Remove belt drive pump, spray with carb cleaner, fill with motor oil and cap it off.   Put on shelf along with stud girdles.  Back off rockers. Remove plugs and give each hole a squirt of the marine fogging spray, replace plugs. 

Get car up on jack stands to save tires.  Put another set of small stands under the rear end so it's not hanging from the high dollar Koni coil overs.  Hook up small battery float battery changer.  Cover car.  Done.
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=66449&

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum