BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One Happy PAPA!!!

+2
bigblockfox468
ThndrChkn
6 posters

Go down

One Happy PAPA!!! Empty One Happy PAPA!!!

Post  ThndrChkn October 30th 2013, 12:38 am

Well, it's only been 2 whole days into the rifle hunting season here in Montana, my daughter Darian and I put the hammer on 2 bull elk!!

The day started out as I put her on a huge 160-170" whitetail buck early in the AM, and she couldn't get him in the scope fast enough, so he got away unscathed... We tried again to locate him, but to no avail...  So, in our driving around afterward, we noticed about 200 head of elk milling around on a distant hillside.

One Happy PAPA!!! P5y4

One Happy PAPA!!! Zde6

So, I looked on my GPS and noticed that they're on State Lands, where we can hunt them as long as there's legal access... As luck would have it, we found a spot where the State Land butted right up to the road we were on... cheers cheers So we get our gear and head out to see what we could make happen.

As you can see in these pics, my daughter and I put the hammer on a freezer full of elk meat... I wanted her to shoot the bull I shot, but she said she couldn't see him, so I told her I was gonna take him... She took hers with her 7mm Rem Mag loaded with a stoutly charged combo topped off with 162gr Hornady A-Max bullets... I took mine with my 300 Rem Ultra Mag loaded with 208gr Hornady A-Max bullets...  As you can see from the above pics of the 2 big herds, these elk were a long ways off 640 yds to be exact, plus they were on private land by the time we got up to where we took the pics ...  So, after about 2-1/2 hours of waiting for them to come back up where we could shoot them, I decided to try and "cheat the system" so to speak, and took out my diaphragm elk call and started putting out a calf elk in distress call... We'll after about 10 min or so, the lead cow stood and stared up our direction and just couldn't take it anymore... She came up that hill like she was on a lead rope, and when the lead cow comes, others follow... We'll after another 5-6 min. we had probably 1/3 of the herd up on the State Land, and we shot both of our elk at 70 yds!!! I must say, I am one proud papa... My daughter scores on her very first elk, and I took a nice 6x6 on the second day of the season... It's always nice to get the elk out of the way early...

Now I still have to help my son try and get an elk in between his school, and football, and we still have our buck tags to fill... I can't wait!! Hopefully, we'll have more pics from the season soon...

Thanks fellas,

One Happy PAPA!!! Lcce

One Happy PAPA!!! Saeh
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

One Happy PAPA!!! Empty Re: One Happy PAPA!!!

Post  bigblockfox468 October 30th 2013, 8:20 am

Suuweet Exclamation 
Congrats Doug and Daughter Darian cheers
bigblockfox468
bigblockfox468
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave C. October 30th 2013, 11:49 am

A Dad/Daughter bond is a very special thing... You should be very proud !

Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post  GT300TD October 30th 2013, 8:21 pm

X2 on the great bonding. A unforgettable moment indeed Cool .

GT300TD
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon October 30th 2013, 9:36 pm

Good job Doug,times you both will never forget.Smile 

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike R October 30th 2013, 11:21 pm

Good job and great times Doug. It's obvious that your influence and values have taken root. You're going to have a great lifelong relationship with your daughter.

Mike R

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn October 31st 2013, 10:31 pm

Thanks guys... I find that no matter how our relationships are throughout any given year, when hunting season rolls around, the bonds I share with my children during these times are priceless! And I wouldn't trade them for anything... Truly cherished moments ...
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down