BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brake Cylinder/Booster

5 posters

Go down

Brake Cylinder/Booster Empty Brake Cylinder/Booster

Post  Ashburner November 17th 2013, 1:28 pm

Hi guys,

I´ve just started my first engine project.
Two years ago I restored my ´69 Mustang and put a 429 (stock) in, together with a C6 tranny. I decided to put some more power on the engine.. Lem put me a kit together, SCJ heads, 4.3stroke crank, stealth intake, ~520cui, etc.. whole new engine.
We put out the engine today and tried the new Ford Racing valve covers before.. Clearance between covers and brake booster and master cylinder was less than zero.. My brakes are Ford Racing 11" drums in the rear and SSBC discs in the front. Does anyone use non power master cylinder for street use or does that not really make sense?
Which master cylinder would fit my project (wo booster!)? I´m worried that brake power is not enough..

Thanks
Franz

Ashburner

Back to top Go down

Brake Cylinder/Booster Empty Re: Brake Cylinder/Booster

Post  airford1 November 17th 2013, 11:35 pm

Post pictures and someone will come up with the booster and master cylinder.
airford1
airford1

Back to top Go down

Post  Ashburner November 18th 2013, 7:23 am

I just have a not too good picture on my phone.. there´s a better one on my camera but I think it will help to see there´s no space for a booster..
There are some master cylinders on the market but I just don´t have any experience with disc/drum combination without booster

Brake Cylinder/Booster Nmu4

Ashburner

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick November 18th 2013, 8:19 am

A good friend had that same issue with his 514 powered Mach 1.  He used a manual mc and a pair of Moroso valve covers.  His 514 was kinda nasty so there wasn't much vacuum for the booster anyway. Like most guys, you're probably fond of the Ford valve covers, tho.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  austin460 February 7th 2014, 12:03 pm

I run mine on the street all the time with no booster not a problem just requires more pedal pressure (this is dependant on pedal ratio), although I expect your car is a little heavier than mine, if you went to a manual cylinder and didn't like it you could always use a remote booster I believe some of the old BMW 5s had them and I have also seen them new at some classic car websites.
austin460
austin460

Back to top Go down

Post  aquartlow February 7th 2014, 2:38 pm

If you go with manual brakes and the vehicle originally came with power brakes, you may want to change the brake pedal ratio. Power brakes have roughly a 4 to 1 ratio whereas manual brakes have at least a 6 to 1 ratio, meaning for every pound of force exerted on the pedal 6 pounds of force is exerted on the internal MC piston. The higher the ratio the less pedal force is needed to stop the vehicle as compared to a 4 to 1 pedal ratio.
aquartlow
aquartlow

Back to top Go down

Post  austin460 February 7th 2014, 5:46 pm

aquartlow wrote:If you go with manual brakes and the vehicle originally came with power brakes, you may want to change the brake pedal ratio. Power brakes have roughly a 4 to 1 ratio whereas manual brakes have at least a 6 to 1 ratio, meaning for every pound of force exerted on the pedal 6 pounds of force is exerted on the internal MC piston. The higher the ratio the less pedal force is needed to stop the vehicle as compared to a 4 to 1 pedal ratio.

Or you could just jump on the pedal with both feet and close your eyes and hope for the best  Laughing
austin460
austin460

Back to top Go down

Post  airford1 February 10th 2014, 7:39 pm

austin460 wrote:
aquartlow wrote:If you go with manual brakes and the vehicle originally came with power brakes, you may want to change the brake pedal ratio. Power brakes have roughly a 4 to 1 ratio whereas manual brakes have at least a 6 to 1 ratio, meaning for every pound of force exerted on the pedal 6 pounds of force is exerted on the internal MC piston. The higher the ratio the less pedal force is needed to stop the vehicle as compared to a 4 to 1 pedal ratio.

Or you could just jump on the pedal with both feet and close your eyes and hope for the best  Laughing
You could be 500 pounds and you still anit stopping. I'd use the Ranger master and change the pedal ratio to 6 to 1. The lines exit away from the motor. You just need to make a plate (or buy one) to mount where the booster was.
airford1
airford1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down