BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

another street car question/Kaase

+6
chuck
whitefield
61coon
maverick
cool40
jonkaase
10 posters

Go down

another street car question/Kaase Empty another street car question/Kaase

Post  jonkaase November 23rd 2013, 7:47 pm

My son has a 2001 Expedition that won't start. I suspect it's the fuel pump. I went to where it's parked at Ga Tech, 6th floor of a parking garage. It cranks over fine, just seems like no gas or spark. The fuel pump fuse is ok, relay ok and the inertia switch is still pressed down. When I cycle the key, I can't hear the pump at all. We're going to check fuel pressure at the rails tomorrow.
If it is the fuel pump, I will probably have to jack the car up and put it on jackstands and try to lower the tank where it sits. The garage has low clearance and I'm not so sure it can be towed out. I guess you can't access the pump from above, through the car?

Can anyone tell me what I'm in for, changing the pump on the spot without a lift? Tools needed and chain of events? Also the problem may be something else, I have a small Blue Point computer to hook up and see any codes but I'm told a stopped fuel pump won't show up.

Anyone in the Atlanta area know of a mobile repair service that can fix it? Thanks, Kaase

jonkaase

Back to top Go down

another street car question/Kaase Empty Re: another street car question/Kaase

Post  cool40 November 23rd 2013, 7:56 pm

If it is the pump it may work tomorrow when you try it.another trick I have seen is to hit the tank with a 2x4.its worked for me a few times.lol
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jonkaase November 23rd 2013, 8:35 pm

I beat on the bottom of the tank where the pump sits while we cycled the key, but nothing. Of course it's on the top floor outside and it was raining. If it were to be towed, it would be too high and hit the overhead beams. I can't coast it down without the engine running, the steering won't make the sharp turns.

jonkaase

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 November 23rd 2013, 8:52 pm

very good chance its the pump but before you pull the tank check the antitheft light.if it blinks while spinning it over the fuel system wont work.i had a mustang that for some reason would lose its memory and do that.take the battery cable off a few minutes and all was good.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jonkaase November 23rd 2013, 8:57 pm

That's the kind of responses I'm looking for! Anything to keep me from under a car.
As you all know, you'll go to the end of the earth for your family. Jon

jonkaase

Back to top Go down

Post  jonkaase November 23rd 2013, 9:01 pm

we're sure there is not an access plate behind the back seat?

jonkaase

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 November 23rd 2013, 9:58 pm

jonkaase wrote:we're sure there is not an access plate behind the back seat?
i'm not 100% but realy dont think so.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick November 23rd 2013, 11:01 pm

Jon, Can it be towed with another car and one of those low, two wheeled car dollies? They only raise one end of the car a few inches.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  61coon November 23rd 2013, 11:49 pm

I changed out a fuel pump in an explorer once. Of course i just filled it up. I ended up measuring out where it would be in the cargo area and took a 4" hole saw and made my own access hole. When I finished, I just patched it back up with some scrap sheet metal. Worked out great.
61coon
61coon

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 November 24th 2013, 12:11 am

61coon wrote:I changed out a fuel pump in an explorer once. Of course i just filled it up. I ended up measuring out where it would be in the cargo area and took a 4" hole saw and made my own access hole. When I finished, I just patched it back up with some scrap sheet metal. Worked out great.
i did this on a few pontiac firebirds.Laughing you gota drop the rearend,exhaust,track bar,big ass heat shield ,and then you pull the tank!
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield November 24th 2013, 12:14 am

Try the Pats relay or hitting the tank like cool 40 mentioned . Fuel tank removal isn't bad another street car question/Kaase 2010-01-15_212939_00_Expedition_fuel_pump

Don't cut any holes !Twisted Evil 
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck November 24th 2013, 12:18 am

Can you use a UHAUL car dolly to get it out?

chuck

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck November 24th 2013, 12:20 am

Also, what about the pump reset relay........I had on trip,pump want work.

chuck

Back to top Go down

Post  61coon November 24th 2013, 12:27 am

cool40 wrote:
61coon wrote:I changed out a fuel pump in an explorer once. Of course i just filled it up. I ended up measuring out where it would be in the cargo area and took a 4" hole saw and made my own access hole. When I finished, I just patched it back up with some scrap sheet metal. Worked out great.
i did this on a few pontiac firebirds.Laughing you gota drop the rearend,exhaust,track bar,big ass heat shield ,and then you pull the tank!
May not be the best way (cutting a hole) but hey, if it works.... Not a bad deal if i the hole is fixed the right way...Rolling Eyes 
61coon
61coon

Back to top Go down

Post  stangr8cr November 24th 2013, 12:44 am

Our 99 Expy did the same thing. Tried everything and nothing worked, squirted some fuel into the throttle body and it tried to start so I figured that pump took a crap. Not a bad job at all, 45minutes to an hour with hand tools. I did mine with a half tank of fuel without draining. Eased it down by hand, raised it up with a floor jack and 2x4 to get her back up. It's a plastic ring and breaks loose and tightens back up real easy. Screwdriver and hammer to spin it on/off. She'll fire right up after that.

Boo Boo
stangr8cr
stangr8cr
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 November 24th 2013, 12:51 am

cool40 wrote:very good chance its the pump but before you pull the tank check the antitheft light.if it blinks while spinning it over the fuel system wont work.i had a mustang that for some reason would lose its memory and do that.take the battery cable off a few minutes and all was good.
Not sure about this on your Ford, but almost changed a good fuel pump on an Oldmobile, and it was the antitheft system not letting the fuel pump run. I would rent a U-Haul dolley and tow it home or to a shop, myself, if possiable. Good Luck.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave November 24th 2013, 12:06 pm

Jon, get another vehicle, and a chain or strap. Drag it down to the street and load it up, those turns do not be cornered as if your drifting!

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

another street car question/Kaase Empty New Development

Post  jonkaase November 24th 2013, 2:15 pm

OK, so today it cranked right up. I told him to disconnect the battery and re-connect, but before he did he tried it and it worked. I'm relieved to not be crawling under it today but I know it may happen again.

Thanks to everyone for their input. We'll hope for the best.

Think anything would show up on a computer check? ... Kaase

jonkaase

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick532 November 24th 2013, 8:16 pm

scan it see if anything showed up . had similar problem occur with my truck , turned out the pcm power relay was bad .

maverick532

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 November 24th 2013, 10:30 pm

On the GM pass lock system if you leave the key on for 5-10 minutes it clears and will start. Don't know on a Ford, but the fuel pump would be the last thing to change. If you can scan for codes as was mentioned, do that ASAP. 3 fasle starts will trip the GM pass lock and have you chasing you tail, thinking it is the fuel pump, and every other problem under the sun. If it is the original fuel pump, and you have 100k-200k miles on it, you may want to just replace it anyway, before it leaves you stranded, even if it was caused by something else. It sucks to have a ride you can't trust, been there, done that.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down