BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Calling on Dana 60 experts

4 posters

Go down

Calling on Dana 60 experts Empty Calling on Dana 60 experts

Post  JBR-3 December 15th 2013, 5:10 pm

Last edited by JBR-3 on February 22nd 2020, 1:53 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : .)

JBR-3

Back to top Go down

Calling on Dana 60 experts Empty Re: Calling on Dana 60 experts

Post  DILLIGASDAVE December 16th 2013, 8:52 am

I wouldn't think there would really be a need for a 40 spline Detroit Locker for any type rear housing since I would expect that the average Detroit Locker would break long before the average aftermarket 35 spline axle would (in a drag car anyway).
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  JBR-3 December 16th 2013, 4:18 pm

Last edited by JBR-3 on February 22nd 2020, 1:53 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : .)

JBR-3

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick December 16th 2013, 8:04 pm

DILLIGASDAVE wrote:I wouldn't think there would really be a need for a 40 spline Detroit Locker for any type rear housing since I would expect that the average Detroit Locker would break long before the average aftermarket 35 spline axle would (in a drag car anyway).

I tend to agree. Although I'm not real hip on the Dana locker, I did once use a 4.56 geared 31 spline 9" locker in a drag car for a few passes. I had to use a shop vac to remove it from the housing. The 31 spline axles were still good as new, tho. For me, lockers are strictly street stuff.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE December 17th 2013, 2:01 am

JBR-3 wrote:...........So my next question is: Is a Dana 60 35-spl Detroit locker stronger than a Ford 35-spl Detroit locker ?

As for "stock" Locker vs Locker strength (with an iron Locker housing) I can't say cuz I haven't messed with a Dana Locker. But "Stronger" is a subjective term anyway. 8620 street gears are called "strong" because they are super hard to handle hundeds of thousands of miles of wear loading abuse on the street year after year without wearing out. And 9310 gears are called "strong" because they are softer to absorb high impact loading abuse without breaking.

I doubt the increased hypoid gear angle/increased tooth loading ability of the 9" (vs the D-60's hypoid angle) has an effect on Locker strength it's self. But the D-60's bigger ring gear diameter should theoretically allow it's Locker to have more room inside for larger internal components than the 9" Locker housing can have. Mark Williams does sell a "drag racing" 35 spline 9" Detroit Locker that has a steel billet housing (vs the factory Locker with it's nodular iron housing), so it is stronger than a conventional 28 or 31 spline 9" N-iron factory Locker body. But I have no idea where the 9" billet M/W Locker  falls strength wise vs a D-60 Locker.

But regardless of how strong any Locker design might be, they still can't take the impact loading a spool designed for drag use can. In a high impact application a spool having no internal moving components that can fail is hard for any Locker to equal.

Situations like this is why most any street-strip and/or Pro Street combo is always going to be a compromise deal to some degree trying to hit a middle ground between being a "street" car or a "strip" car.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  JBR-3 December 17th 2013, 9:28 pm

Last edited by JBR-3 on February 22nd 2020, 1:54 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : .)

JBR-3

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper December 17th 2013, 10:46 pm

JBR-3 wrote:

I take it that all the hyper "street cars" on Drag Week that go 200mph are all spool cars ?

Yep

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum