BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Decking block

+4
Lem Evans
Paul Kane
KY JELLY
Rmk Boss9
8 posters

Go down

Decking block Empty Decking block

Post  Rmk Boss9 January 2nd 2014, 4:39 pm

I would like to know if it's possible for a well equipped machine shop to square deck my block to whatever height I wanted without mocking everything up.
My stack height is 10.295 on an early 10.30 block. So if asked just to square deck it to 10.300 is that something they should be able to do?
Is there a way of accurately measuring the block height without assembling a piston in each corner?

Randy

Rmk Boss9

Back to top Go down

Decking block Empty Re: Decking block

Post  KY JELLY January 2nd 2014, 5:05 pm

Yes just measure from the main bearing bore , rather than set up on the present deck surface. There are tools to measure and a "good" block machine sets up in this manner and actually holds the block from the main bearing bore while its being machined and maintains the 90* degree seperation from bank to bank and end to end.

Now the thing to keep in mind is when you want this kind of accuaracy you need to use a machinst that already knows this and you dont have to explain it to them lol. I personally would recomend phillip oakley or jet boat bob in no particular order . They are both very good at what they do .
KY JELLY
KY JELLY

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane January 2nd 2014, 5:12 pm

Rmk Boss9 wrote:I would like to know if it's possible for a well equipped machine shop to square deck my block to whatever height I wanted without mocking everything up.
Randy
Piece o' Cake.
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Rmk Boss9 January 2nd 2014, 5:24 pm

I guess this assuming that the rods and pistons are the same height or within .002-.003 of each other.
Thanks for the replies.

Randy

Rmk Boss9

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans January 2nd 2014, 6:29 pm

Some of the very early blocks could already be at or below 10.300".

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 January 2nd 2014, 7:01 pm

Boss9 where are located they a good machine shop also in South Carolina if you are close
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Rmk Boss9 January 2nd 2014, 7:26 pm

I'm in Vancouver, B.C., about 3000 miles away from S.C.

Rmk Boss9

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave January 2nd 2014, 8:58 pm

Rmk Boss9 wrote:I would like to know if it's possible for a well equipped machine shop to square deck my block to whatever height I wanted without mocking everything up.
My stack height is 10.295 on an early 10.30 block. So if asked just to square deck it to 10.300 is that something they should be able to do?
Is there a way of accurately measuring the block height without assembling a piston in each corner?

Randy

Rmk Boss9 wrote:I guess this assuming that the rods and pistons are the same height or within .002-.003 of each other.
Thanks for the replies.

Randy

I would think you need to "mock everything up" to verify the dimensions. I have seen blocks unsquare that removing .005" would not square them. Another item that will effect the piston deck height is crankshaft stroke, are all strokes equal. If your block requires more material removed than your "stack height", your piston's crown can be altered to compensate. Here's an important part of communication between you and your machinist. Unless you plan on the machinist to assemble your short block or provide the machinist with all the parts involved, the machinist will adjust your block's specifications to YOUR instructions! Make sure you and your machinist are on the same page before work begins.

If you choose to measure the four corners of the block with a rod and piston, use the same rod and piston to measure all four corners. Not that this is absolute, it only lessens a dimensional variation of parts.
Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  mikey hefner January 2nd 2014, 10:13 pm

Not to break into the thread, but who in SC are you referring to?

mikey hefner

Back to top Go down

Post  AL Q January 2nd 2014, 10:39 pm

Rmk Boss9 wrote:I'm in Vancouver, B.C., about 3000 miles away from S.C.

I'm in the GVRD area also, there are a couple machine shops locally that are good, and have done a good job on my stuff
AL Q
AL Q

Back to top Go down

Post  Rmk Boss9 January 2nd 2014, 11:02 pm

AL Q wrote:
Rmk Boss9 wrote:I'm in Vancouver, B.C., about 3000 miles away from S.C.

I'm in the GVRD area also, there are a couple machine shops locally that are good, and have done a good job on my stuff

This is a cookie cutter 502 Scat kit with JE dish pistons. I was thinking a competent shop could measure the deck heights of each corner of the block
and square and deck to what ever height I decided on.

I was thinking of Precision race engines in North van(because I live there) or Hi performance engines in Burnaby, so who did you use?

Rmk Boss9

Back to top Go down

Post  AL Q January 2nd 2014, 11:15 pm

I used Hi Performance Engines for my last block. My builder is now at PARR Engines in Langley, and Terry Bride is in Richmond and has purchased all of Cranberry Connection's (Glen May, ford pro mod guy) machine shop, Terry was Glen's shop foreman and builder. Any one of those have the BBF knowledge you seek.

AL Q
AL Q

Back to top Go down

Post  AL Q January 2nd 2014, 11:19 pm

I believe Terry Bride is the only one in B.C. that has the fixture for lifter bores for BBF, maybe all of western Canada
AL Q
AL Q

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down